iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Mar 26, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #2,881 of 13,503

Quote:
Hi I have been following this thread for awhile I have a HM801 and was wondering if any one can compare the sound quality between the two. If its a large enough diff I will likely get one in the future. So far I have only read like 2 comparisons on erji.net and they seem to be conflicting one saying they are simular the other saying the dx100 is way better. 

If you read earlier on there was a small review done by one of the owners from the first batch. Hes Chinese so its a bit hard to read behind the lines. But from his comments he found the Hifiman 801 laughable when compared to the DX100. Pretty much saying the DX100 is significantly better.

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #2,882 of 13,503

Quote:
Forgive me for not searching the thread before hand, but I'm curious:

Just how concerned should I be that iBasso has yet to contact me asking for the remainder of my money for the pre-order I placed Fed. 14th? I am in the pre-order for second batch of units and have paid the deposit. Got a confirmation ages ago. Haven't heard from iBasso since.

I see many seem to have not only paid the remainder for theirs, but also have had theirs shipped. Anyone else in the second pre-order batch NOT pay the remainder for theirs yet?

I e-mailed iBasso, so we'll see I suppose.

Hiya, not to worry. They were delayed by the QC of the back and everything seems to be delayed 7-10 days. If the order was placed on the 14th I would imagine you will get a demand sometime next week as they seem to be shipping only 5-10 units a day.

Well worth the wait though!

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #2,883 of 13,503

Quote:
Hi I have been following this thread for awhile I have a HM801 and was wondering if any one can compare the sound quality between the two. If its a large enough diff I will likely get one in the future. So far I have only read like 2 comparisons on erji.net and they seem to be conflicting one saying they are simular the other saying the dx100 is way better. 

I think there is a common misconception that perhaps an analogy sound is better and if that is the case, then the HM801 is the way to go. However, it is all about getting as much detail as possible from a source. It is the details put together that gives you the music. You can never have enough detail.

The iBasso DX100 is head and shoulders above any other DAP in retrieving detail from the music files especially on 24/192. Once you have such a detailed signal, then you manipulate it so it sounds how you want it to sound with either different cables, amp and earphones. 

From this perspective the DX100 is much better than the HM801!!!

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #2,884 of 13,503
Mine left China pretty promptly and without delay. It arrived in Alaska today and heads down to me for an estimated Thursday delivery.  I'm sure that any insured international package requires a signature, but I've seen some UPS drivers just leave things and sign for them themselves.  I guess it depends on the driver in that case.  I did use UPS for my shipper, not EMS. 

A question about the software/firmware.  Since you guys have been talking about downloading Android apps - I assume this is a 'recreational' addendum to the internal software that come pre-installed that allows you to organize and play music.  You don't have to go looking for / choose an app to use for that purpose, correct?  Beyond the "No Lock" app already mentioned (thank you), can any of you who have had the DX100 recommend any specific apps for better enjoyment of music and or the device itself for its intended purpose (Angry Birds would not be an appropriate response)?  Are there music player apps that are better than the internal player and are applicable (something like Flac Player might be for an iPod Touch)? 

A few have downloaded some different music players to compare against the iBasso player. Of course none of these can play 24bit files without downsampling. I do believe that the consensus of opinion has been that the iBasso player rules. Now that iBasso has fixed the gapless issue, I doubt that other players will be as attractive to download other than for curiosity.

Thankfully, iBasso did not load the DX100 with bloatware.

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #2,885 of 13,503
In what specific ways from your listening do you think DX100 is better than the HM801 other than detail retrieval?

Quote:

From this perspective the DX100 is much better than the HM801!!!

Even if a package is marked as gift, you cannot avoid that dreaded monster named Canada Customs. In this case, I'm more worried about UPS' brokerage fees, not customs, because I've seen people who've ordered $200 headphones get charged $100+ JUST on UPS brokerage fees. There's the inevitable 12% HST, plus whatever insane percentage it is they tariff on DAPs as well. You should ask if they could ship it FedEx or EMS.
Quote:
Wait, what?! When you get yours would you mind posting how much it cost for brokerage? If its a lot I'll just send my April order to HK and have it sent to me in Canada marked as gift to avoid those customs! :frowning2: I hope for us Canadians' sake, its a couple dollars tops!

Someone who's ordered on Feb 12th had ~150 orders before them to be shipped. iBasso is not a large company, and they can only handle a limited number of units a day. Don't worry, you'll get yours sooner or later.

Quote:
Forgive me for not searching the thread before hand, but I'm curious:

Just how concerned should I be that iBasso has yet to contact me asking for the remainder of my money for the pre-order I placed Fed. 14th? I am in the pre-order for second batch of units and have paid the deposit. Got a confirmation ages ago. Haven't heard from iBasso since.

I see many seem to have not only paid the remainder for theirs, but also have had theirs shipped. Anyone else in the second pre-order batch NOT pay the remainder for theirs yet?

I e-mailed iBasso, so we'll see I suppose.

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #2,886 of 13,503
I couldn't find this in the specs anywhere.. does anyone know if the DX100 has a built in speaker / buzzer / tweeter of any kind? Not for music or anything, just for things like alarms or notifications from android apps. Could be useful :)

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #2,887 of 13,503

Quote:
A few have downloaded some different music players to compare against the iBasso player. Of course none of these can play 24bit files without downsampling. I do believe that the consensus of opinion has been that the iBasso player rules. Now that iBasso has fixed the gapless issue, I doubt that other players will be as attractive to download other than for curiosity.
Thankfully, iBasso did not load the DX100 with bloatware.

Thanks for that input.  I assume there is no accompanying accompanying software that you can load on your computer (as with iTunes) that allows you to manage files off the device?  That's one feature I do like about iPod/iTunes is the file management interface.  As I understand it, with the iBasso it is simply a drag and drop your folders to the storage device and the software will recognize it and organize it....correct?   I also assume iTunes will not recognize the a connected DX100 at all....or?  I'm guessing I'll just have to drag and drop folders from my library (which is how I do manage my FLAC library anyway).  I noticed when I mentioned it before, several members dismissed iTunes as excess luggage.  I don't use it at all to rip files, but I'm not sure what is objectionable about the file management?  With this system is there some other library interface one can use to manage a library (sorry, I'm a lifelong Mac guy so don't know the PC/Android world). 

Is there any point in buying very fast micro-cards as far as playback?  SDHC vs SDXC?  I don't care much about uploading files as I can walk away from that task. 

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #2,889 of 13,503

Quote:
In what specific ways from your listening do you think DX100 is better than the HM801 other than detail retrieval?

Let me take this from another view point. I reference my I listening to how a component takes me closest to my point of reference?

My references are live un-amplified music, followed by my home system. Obviously we have to take into consideration that one, with earphones, will never have the visceral impact from an instrument or large speaker based systems. Without excellent detail retrieval you are not even coming close to hearing all the nuances of music. The air that is created, the finesse! For example, 24/96 and 24/192 is fairly similar in actual sound, in terms of soundstage, imaging, dynamics etc. What is essentially missing for me in 24/96 is the air in the music. 24/192 creates to a high degree what is achievable with an excellent analogue set up such as Continuum Caliburn, Cobra system with a suitable Koetsu. The Contiuum was pretty reasonably priced before Fremer got hold of one.....I don't own a Continuum, now.

I do like my music sounding rich and lush as I feel live music is presented this way, and the HM801 does, in a way, imitate this style of presentation, however, every time that I have listened to the HM801, I just feel it lacks so much detail and that is the reason why ultimately I never purchased one. And the fact that I hate the name HIFIMAN......

Now, the DX100 is the king of detail retrieval amongst DAP at the moment, and with the Triad L3 cabled with a silver/gold cable that I had specially made, is bringing me close to how I like my music to sound.

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #2,893 of 13,503

Quote:
May i ask if anyone's Dx100 is being

[size=inherit] [tr][size=inherit] [td][size=inherit] Shenzhen, China[/size][/td] [td][size=inherit] 03/26/2012[/size][/td] [td][size=inherit] 6:21 P.M.[/size][/td] [td][size=inherit] Pkg delay-add'l security check by Gov’t or other agency- beyond UPS control. / Delivery rescheduled.[/size][/td] [/size][/tr] [/size]

?? i don't know whats happening? 

It is a spot check, normal procedure. Yours was just the one that got checked. 

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #2,895 of 13,503
OK I've had approx 12 hrs continuous burn in plus 2 hrs off-on burn in when I first picked this up. As such, the initial "thin" sound has gone.

My components are as such :-
FLAC on MicroSDXC + DX100 + Ultrasone Edition 8LEs
vs
iPhone 4S + VentureCraft Go-DAP 4.0 (upgraded) + Ultrasone Edition 8LEs

Here are my initial thoughts :-

- Bass is deep and tight. Has good impact but doesn't sound boomy. I find in some songs i listen to, I hear more structure in the bass which I've not heard before.
- Mids also have good impact and feels a little more forward (you feel like you're sitting right in front of the stage).
- Highs are incredibly detailed but not sibilant.
- Soundstage is slightly wider than my Go-DAP (which to me is decently wide)
- Clear instrument separation. At times for certain songs I almost feel I'm listening to each instrument independently and in detail. And although all played together, doesn't necessarily sound like it's all one musical piece. Again, this is only on certain pieces of songs I listen to.

In my opinion, you need to choose your headphones carefully with this DAP. My Ed8LEs are known to be highly detailed and to some other owners too analytical. The DX100 after a 12 hr burn-in is revealing to be an extremely detailed DAP and is currently very detailed. As such have to say that it's not exactly a "toe-tapping" but one for critical listening. One may have to choose a somewhat more "toned down" headphones to balance it out. On the other hand, if you, (are like me), like dry analytical critical listening, then the DX100 will be more than satisfying.

I think the preliminary burn-in is done but I'll probably need more long term burn-in to "smooth" the whole unit out. Possibly it'll be more "musical" with a longer burn-in.

P.S. I find that my song orders are still messed up! A little annoying!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back