Ibasso DB2, does anyone know?
Jan 20, 2011 at 9:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

shortfuze

Head-Fier
Has anyone heard anything of it? I was just about to pull the trigger in the toucan/ boomslang, when they release the pelican. What could the improvements on the db2 be and are they gonna be worth the wait? Has anyone heard of an eta? Id like to get a matching amp and dac but I'd like to order everything together so now I'm waiting again to buy the amp till I figure this out.

Btw, this will be my first hp amp purchase, looking forward to hearing these um3x's in a whole new light.

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #3 of 36
Although I haven't heard an ETA, I would imagine it doesn't have the highest priority at the moment, as iBasso is scrambling to fill orders for the new amps.

I have listened extensively to my Boomslang/PB2 combo through both SE and balanced outputs and in every way, the Boomslang has proven to be a very able performer and demonstrates very well the capabilities of the PB2.

Feb 10, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #6 of 36

Quote:
Hi there, I too would be pretty interested in possible information about a db2 to replacre my current home dac and also be used in portable situations. The db1 seems to be like the dac in the d10 and so not use the dual wolfson dacs in the newer ibasso amps so I hope they will do an update. Greetings, Anouk,

Anouk, even though the Dac chip is the same WM8740 in both the DB1 and D10, but they are not the same as a DAC because of the way they are implemented.  For the DB1 it is balance DAC which allows the DAC to sound better than the D10 which is a se DAC.

Feb 21, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #10 of 36
As Hiflight said, you are more than fine going with the Boomslang and Pelican. That is one good sounding setup, from what I have heard. You can switch around the opamps for different sounds, and you can run pretty much any headphone from it. The DB2 will most likely not have a large performance advantage over the DB1, just a small improvement. That is how it goes. Tell us what you decide, and think of all the music you could enjoy in the time it takes for the DB2 to come out if you order the combo right now!

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #12 of 36

Quote:
I'll be interested in this bad boy when it gets released

The Db1 is almost as good, and you can buy it now. If you want a portable balanced DAC, I would just go for the Boomslang now. I have realized it is more fun to listen to music that you care about on what you have, even if it is not optimal, and the DB1 is more than optimal. 

What kinds of headphones and amps would you run off of it? My educated guess is that they would have to be pretty good to hear any differences between the DB1 and the DB2. 

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #14 of 36
The most significant difference between the DB1 and the soon-to-be-released DB2 is that the DB2 will also have an SE output jack.  This means that you can use it with any desktop or portable amplifier, not just the PB1 or PB2.  

Quote:
The Db1 is almost as good, and you can buy it now. If you want a portable balanced DAC, I would just go for the Boomslang now. I have realized it is more fun to listen to music that you care about on what you have, even if it is not optimal, and the DB1 is more than optimal. 

What kinds of headphones and amps would you run off of it? My educated guess is that they would have to be pretty good to hear any differences between the DB1 and the DB2. 

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #15 of 36

Quote:
The most significant difference between the DB1 and the soon-to-be-released DB2 is that the DB2 will also have an SE output jack.  This means that you can use it with any desktop or portable amplifier, not just the PB1 or PB2.  

Thanks. Will it be opamp rollable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back