iBasso D42 "Mamba" with dual dacs! !! Hey Hey! Improved Starting on Page 76 .
Aug 11, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #1,081 of 1,153

Quote:
     Quote:

HiFlight,
  Thank you!  Am I correct that Low Gain is Low Impedance (below 300ohm) and High Gain is High Impedance (above 300ohm)?

Gain is not related to impedance.  It only affects the output level of the amp.  You could, for instance, have a very low-impedance but extremely low sensitivity that would require the use of high gain, even though the impedance of your phones is quite low.  

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #1,084 of 1,153
Ok, I've have my D4 for almost 2 years now.  Sound quality was excellent although I thought the bass was lacking but it might have been my sennheiser hd380 pro headphones.  However I return to this forum looking for another portable amp dac combo because of my struggle with the usb port on my D4.  It has to be a manufacture defect, be prepared to live with it if you buy this unit.  I contacted support but they seemed to think it was the USB cable, it's not.  Though sound quality was excellent, I want to move to a portable unit that is built to last for years, and I want to see if there is anything special about vacuum tubes. 

///////////////////---UPDATE---////////////

IBasso fixed my the USB port on my D4 without charging me anything other than shipping.  Thank you so much!

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #1,085 of 1,153
I just got mine today, but the short audio cable it comes with doesn't work... I know this because I have another audio cable and that works with it, does anyone know what's causing this? What are the chances the cable is defective?

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #1,086 of 1,153

Quote:
I just got mine today, but the short audio cable it comes with doesn't work... I know this because I have another audio cable and that works with it, does anyone know what's causing this? What are the chances the cable is defective?

If you have another cable that works and the short one doesn't the chances that it is defective is about 100%~

It is pretty easy to check the continuity through the cable tip, ring and ground with a multimeter. 

Aug 29, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #1,087 of 1,153
Alright. So my d4 has always been having issues with the usb-dac, such as plugging it in doesn't fully connect and I have push the plug in until I hear it connect and turn on, and it is just starting to fail me such as disconnecting on its own. I know other users have reported this same problem. No, I do not abuse my d4, though I do use it as a portable amp fairly often. However, it IS advertised to be a portable amp so in no way am I putting it through harsh conditions or anything. I always store it in the leather pouch when not in use. It there anyway to fix this issue? My warranty is out, so sending it back in isn't an option. And I would prefer to not deal with over seas shipping if I can....

Sep 10, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #1,088 of 1,153
I am using the iBasso D4 with a MacBook Pro and UM3X.  I find the bass with the UM3X a little too much for my taste.  So I have been using Audio Highjack Pro, to reduce the "mid bass hump".

MacBook Pro>Pandora>Audio Highjack Pro>USB>iBasso D4>UM3X 

My question, if the D4 is plugged into the MacBook through the USB, how can Audio Highjack equalize the sound?  Isn't the DAC of the iBasso converting the sound?

Thanks for the help !

Sep 11, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #1,089 of 1,153
Hello ladies and gents!

New to personal hi fi. My research for decent pair of cans led me to looking for amps to drive them well and that led me here to read 75 posts on the mamba....which I ordered 2 days ago! I hope I am not late to the party?!

I haven't heard it yet but already tryingbto figure out how to swap out the opamp for the opa1611....How addicting is the quest for audio perfection.

You guys are very convincing and appreciate all the knowledge dispersed.

Thanks for the help.

D

Sep 12, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #1,090 of 1,153
Hi, all... I just bought an iBasso D4 Mamba and I just want to make sure I understand how to use it.

If I want to use it as a DAC/Amp combo, then I must connect the D4 to the computer via USB and connect my HD 650 into the "Headphone" out on the D4, right?

But if I want to use the D4 solely as a DAC, then I have to plug my headphone (or my tube amp) into the "Aux In/ Out" rather than the "Headphone" out, right?

Also, since there is no "on/off" switch on the D4, is it safe to leave it plugged into my laptop continuously? Thanks.

Sep 12, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #1,091 of 1,153
Yes to everything.

The volume bar can be off if you are using it as a DAC only. 

Quote:
Hi, all... I just bought an iBasso D4 Mamba and I just want to make sure I understand how to use it.

If I want to use it as a DAC/Amp combo, then I must connect the D4 to the computer via USB and connect my HD 650 into the "Headphone" out on the D4, right?

But if I want to use the D4 solely as a DAC, then I have to plug my headphone (or my tube amp) into the "Aux In/ Out" rather than the "Headphone" out, right?

Also, since there is no "on/off" switch on the D4, is it safe to leave it plugged into my laptop continuously? Thanks.

Sep 13, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #1,092 of 1,153
This thread will celebrate its 1st Anniversary tomorrow, and thats roughly how long I've had my D4. I shall place a couple of candles atop the little guy and light them in honor of its sterling performance under considerable duress. Hell, I might even listen to the thing ! 

Sep 13, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #1,093 of 1,153
Looks like two years and I just realized it was started on my birthday. :^)

Sep 14, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #1,094 of 1,153
Was reading some posts and mad wolf states the opamp is soldered and not rollable, but the website states that the mamba is?!

Maybe the newest version of the mamba is not soldered in can anyone help with this, I still have not received my mamba and was wondering as I have asked ti for 2 samples of opa1611?!

Will I be able to just pop them in like the p6 or do I need to fine someone to put them in permanently soldered in?!

Thanks for the help!

Sep 14, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #1,095 of 1,153
They are totally removable and replaceable. Like plugs into an electrical outlet.

Quote:
Was reading some posts and mad wolf states the opamp is soldered and not rollable, but the website states that the mamba is?!

Maybe the newest version of the mamba is not soldered in can anyone help with this, I still have not received my mamba and was wondering as I have asked ti for 2 samples of opa1611?!

Will I be able to just pop them in like the p6 or do I need to fine someone to put them in permanently soldered in?!

Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back