iBasso D42 "Mamba" with dual dacs! !! Hey Hey! Improved Starting on Page 76 .
Oct 4, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #1,111 of 1,153

Quote:
The problem has little to do with the D4 and a lot to do with your computer. There are about 500 threads on this very issue over at the Computer Audiophile forums:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/forum

If its any consolation, most of us have been there, and the problem sucks.

Searched for d4, only got about 10 results and nothing to do with the problem I'm having. Can you link me directly to where you're talking about or if there is a possible solution to my problem?

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #1,112 of 1,153
OK, I said the problem has little to do with your amp, and you went off and searched for 'D4' ?? You need to look in the DAC forum - you will find entire threads from folk having a similar problem. There is no single cause - you have to be methodical and make the changes suggested in those threads until the problem goes away.

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #1,113 of 1,153

Quote:
OK, I said the problem has little to do with your amp, and you went off and searched for 'D4' ?? You need to look in the DAC forum - you will find entire threads from folk having a similar problem. There is no single cause - you have to be methodical and make the changes suggested in those threads until the problem goes away.

well, the first 20 pages of the DAC forum had nothing useful, if there were as many people with similar problems as you say, I think I would have found one thread by now.

Oct 9, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #1,115 of 1,153

Quote:
Would using a usb/spdif converter to connect the d4 into the spdif port on my PC solve the problem?

No, the conversion is going the wrong way.  These converters take USB from the computer and extract the spdif.  Your D4 can't use spdif.  

I don't know of a spdif/usb converter.  

You could, of course, sell your D4 and purchase a D10 or D12 both of which have optical inputs. 

Oct 10, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #1,117 of 1,153

Quote:

You could, of course, sell your D4 and purchase a D10 or D12 both of which have optical inputs. 

And that would solve my problem for sure? Would the D10 or D12 also have more power, because sometimes my D4 doesn't provide enough volume even with the gain on high. I'd like to have a desktop amp like the Fiio e9 but I heard they're pointless for low impedence headphones.

Oct 10, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #1,118 of 1,153

Quote:
And that would solve my problem for sure? Would the D10 or D12 also have more power, because sometimes my D4 doesn't provide enough volume even with the gain on high. I'd like to have a desktop amp like the Fiio e9 but I heard they're pointless for low impedence headphones.

I also find the E9 to be overkill for my phones, but the 1/4" jack is perfectly usable with an adapter. The main issue is with balanced armature IEMs, where the 10-ohm output impedance will impact sound quality - nwavguy also claims the E9 is unacceptably noisy but that hasnt been a problem with my less-than-pristine sources.

Oct 10, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #1,119 of 1,153

Quote:

No, the D10 or D12 will not have more volume than the D4, but much depends upon the level of the signal delivered to your AmpDac and, of course, the efficiency of your phones.  I find that usually the optical input delivers a somewhat higher input level than does the USB input, thus resulting in a higher volume potential.  It is a cleaner signal as well, as there is usually less computer noise.

Dec 3, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #1,120 of 1,153
I was wondering what the best sounding opamps are when battery life is important.
Now I am using a OPA1612 but it eats up batteries very fast. I am looking for at least 20h of battery life.
The original opamp sounds ok but mids are a lot better with the OPA1612.

Dec 3, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #1,121 of 1,153
Battery life is not so much opamp based but the buffers. Swap the buffers out with bypasses and you'll instantly get several fold longer battery life. I have two bypasses and a different opamp in mine and the battery life is really long. I used to have to change it every like maybe 4-5 days, but now I can go like 3 weeks or more on the same battery.

Quote:
I was wondering what the best sounding opamps are when battery life is important.
Now I am using a OPA1612 but it eats up batteries very fast. I am looking for at least 20h of battery life.
The original opamp sounds ok but mids are a lot better with the OPA1612.

Dec 9, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #1,122 of 1,153
Hi all

I have been a pleased D4 owner for some time now, probably a year or so, pairing it with my D2000's.

I also have a samsung galaxy S2, which samsung has announced will be able to run Android 4.0 (ice cream sandwich) which also supports digital audio out.

Has anyone looked into pairing the D4 with a phone? Any idea where I can pick up a micro-usb to mini-usb cable from?

Am very keen to get this up and running, it will make the perfect amp!

Thanks

Andy

Dec 9, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #1,123 of 1,153
I have a Nokia C7 (runs Symbian and has USB-to-go). I can use my Corda MOVE as an external DAC but the iBasso D4 does not work. Other users confirmed Fiio E7 working as external DAC on Nokia phones as well.
The D4 seems to work on an iPad (not tested by me but other people on the forum confirm).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back