iBasso D42 "Mamba" with dual dacs! !! Hey Hey! Improved Starting on Page 76 .
Jan 12, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #1,051 of 1,153
Yes, I am policing this thread, and you seem to have exceeded your quota for exclamation points. I'll let you go with a warning, this time.

Jan 12, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #1,052 of 1,153

Quote:
I'm looking to get an amp for my ER4P/S. Does anyone have any thoughts whether the D4 could be a good combo? I'll be using it almost exclusively with my ipod classic. I like the etymotic sound so I'm not trying to alter/overshadow it, but rather to compliment it.

Well the D4 has a USB dac also but you sound like you want just an amp. If you want an excellent amp and an excellent dac get the D6. 

Jan 26, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #1,054 of 1,153

Ntropic said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Grr. This means they're probably going to drop the D2+ in price.

I mean, it's almost perfect. Swappable opamps, USB/9V, what looks to be the same case as the D2, line out, and for almost the same price as a D2.

I wonder if there's a way to combine the voltage from the USB line and the battery. I know there's a switch at the back... but hmm... 14V...

It's quite useful, Thanks for your explanation!

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #1,055 of 1,153
Hi Guys;

I need a little advise on the D4 Mamba. I bought it used from fellow head-fier; just received it today.

I am using the Beyer 990T 250ohms; playing APE lossless thru laptop.
I hear hiss and burst when i try to almost max the volume. Is that normal? It seems that the song sound better WITHOUT the amp from the laptop. Did i receive a faulty D4 Mamba?

Also which; does the D4 comes with 9V battery?

Anyway i bought a 9V disposable battery thinking to power it off battery.
To my surprise i saw one of the Golden fuse(whatever u call it) obstructing the battery clearance placement.
Which to say; there is no way for me to insert the battery.

The fuse seems to be bent in a way; almost going to break off.

What should i do? Please advise

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #1,056 of 1,153

Quote:
Hi Guys;

I need a little advise on the D4 Mamba. I bought it used from fellow head-fier; just received it today.

I am using the Beyer 990T 250ohms; playing APE lossless thru laptop.
I hear hiss and burst when i try to almost max the volume. Is that normal? It seems that the song sound better WITHOUT the amp from the laptop. Did i receive a faulty D4 Mamba?

Also which; does the D4 comes with 9V battery?

Anyway i bought a 9V disposable battery thinking to power it off battery.
To my surprise i saw one of the Golden fuse(whatever u call it) obstructing the battery clearance placement.
Which to say; there is no way for me to insert the battery.

The fuse seems to be bent in a way; almost going to break off.

What should i do? Please advise

That is very, very peculiar. Mind getting us some pictures, mopiko?

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #1,058 of 1,153

Quote:
There you go~

Oh, that's a capacitor. Technically you could just bend it back in place, though I'd advise you to be very careful about doing that just in case you break the legs of the cap.

Regardless, if you hear pop, hiss and strange sounds from your music (if your music doesn't originally have pop, hiss and strange sounds.. heh), I'd reckon you might want consider that the D4 might be a lemon... Check through the board if you can see anything strange by eye, broken pins, burnt parts etc.. And discuss with the seller over this issue. :)

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #1,059 of 1,153
hi there; hahe ok i did bend it back according to your advise.

I manage to pop the 9V battery in now. Thanks~!

I did a few test comparing the AUX in/out vs the USB DAC.

Using the AUX in/out connecting to my laptop headphone port and also my iphone 4; i hear no HISS or BURST

However using the USB DAC pluggin to my USB port on my laptop playing the same songs i hear HISS and BURST.
Does a different USB cable makes a difference? or is it my laptop?

At this point it seems to me that the USB DAC is faulty or so i thought?
Ill get another USB cable and another laptop to test and verify my findings later in the day.

Meanwhile if there is any clue u guys might have; plz drop a line

Thanks

Feb 6, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #1,060 of 1,153
Hi do you mind decsribing what  do you mean by the hiss and pop, How often it happend and how loud it is. Does it happend all the time, will all song and which gain setting you are using. How loud you are playing 

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #1,061 of 1,153
Hey guys; i went thru the hassle to contact iBasso about the hiss and burst; they have concluded that might have a high possibility that its faulty. I have then shipped it back to them.
Lesson learnt for buying a used amp~

Apr 7, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #1,064 of 1,153
I'm a new owner of a D4. Finally I can listen to some music on my laptop with a DAC.
I bought the D4 from another head-fi'er so the unit is burnt-in.
DAC-performance is excellent, amp powered by USB is very good as well.
With my DDM's I prefer my Corda XXS, the XXS has punchier bass and is slightly warmer.
My Brainwavz M1 on the other hand sound better with the D4, must be the mids.
I would like to swap opamps. Any tips on a warmish, musical sound. I want punchy bass, but I was already happy with my RE0's and the iBasso T4 or XXS. DDM's are ofcourse bassheavier but miss the punch in the bass I get with my XXS.
HiFlights topkit LR module with stock buffers seem to be a good option, from what I am reading.
Anyone heard the ADH4841-2 and/or LMH6643? Those opamps should be supported and are for sale from iBasso as part of the D10/12 opamp kit.
Or is there some other place where I can get opamps and/or buffers?

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #1,065 of 1,153
HiFlight is definitely the man to talk to - I am happy with the changes that his Topkit has made to my D4, and looking forward to being able to tailor the sound on my P4 when it arrives next week. The only caution I have is that I think the effects of opamp rolling are exaggerated by some on Head-Fi - perhaps I simply havent tried the right opamp, but thus far I havent experienced a 180-degree change from the stock SQ of the D4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back