iBasso D42 "Mamba" with dual dacs! !! Hey Hey! Improved Starting on Page 76 .
Sep 29, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #976 of 1,153

thank you, i plan on using it with my upcoming mamba d4
biggrin.gif

Quote:
If you are planning to use the OPA1611 in the D10, you will need to solder 2 of them onto a 2 to1 SOIC to DIP adapter, as they are single-channel only.  If you want a dual channel plug and play, order the OPA1612 in DIP configuration. 

Sep 29, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #977 of 1,153

Quote:
I apologize,  I made a mistake! 
redface.gif
 When you connect the usb cable to the back of the D4 it will not work as a stand alone amp.

My D4 Mamba is plug to my laptop via USB. I can stream music to the D4 dac, or plug my iMod to the D4 while the D4 is still plug to my laptop.  It will convert back to amp mode, as long as you stop the music from the laptop. Ibasso may have done some revision to it, I just got it from iBasso three days ago.   

Oct 7, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #978 of 1,153
I've been "Mambafied".  My brand new D4 is sitting on my desk as I type.  It's connected via USB to my PC, (no battery installed) and it's working perfectly.  It's nice to be able to use Foobar again, without the hiss of my crappy onboard soundcard's HP out.  I now have my full library at my disposal again and I couldn't be happier with the D4's USB DAC.  I've done quick tests with my iPhone via LOD as well and all I can say is my PA2V2 will be available on the FS forum by the weekend.  I now have the desktop and portable solution all in one, I've been wanting.

Oct 7, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #979 of 1,153
Yes, the sound from the D4 is excellent and you have a great dac system with it. To my ear, it has a very dynamic and clean sound, no muddiness. 

Oct 7, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #980 of 1,153

Quote:
Yes, the sound from the D4 is excellent and you have a great dac system with it. To my ear, it has a very dynamic and clean sound, no muddiness. 

Thanks jamato8, your impressions, along with a few others, helped me narrow my search and ultimately make a great decision.

Oct 9, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #982 of 1,153

Quote:
is it better to use the DAC only with AUX OUT, or utilize the AMP section as well, even if no amplification of the sound is necessary for my headphone (D2000) ?

Use the amp section for D2000 - they don't need a lot of voltage and they are efficient, but they benefit from a good current supply.

Oct 9, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #983 of 1,153

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This means that it draws power from the USB port no?

Can you please check whether there is any hissing whatsoever when the D4 is used as DAC-only?

The DAC is completely powered by the USB. I plugged my Shure SE530 into the aux output which bypasses the amp (with the DAC plugged in of course) and it is dead silent.

So there'd supposed to be no sound coming out of the aux output when used as DAC? why do I hear sound from the aux output from my D4? though audible, the volume knob isn't able to regulate it.

Oct 9, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #984 of 1,153

Quote:
So there'd supposed to be no sound coming out of the aux output when used as DAC? why do I hear sound from the aux output from my D4? though audible, the volume knob isn't able to regulate it.

Whatever is being decoded by the DAC is passed through the Aux out as a fixed voltage signal, hence the volume control will have no effect.  

Oct 10, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #986 of 1,153

Quote:
So there's supposed to be no sound coming out from the aux output Ron? Why do I hear a faint sound with my D4?

Yes there is a signal but you can not attenuate it. If there was no signal output you couldn't drive an amp but it is not from a source that is meant to drive phones. 

Oct 11, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #987 of 1,153
I have a question about the D4. I already know how it sounds...at least with some opamp rolled so it definitely does sound good. Do you need to buy a separate charger for the 9v battery or can it be charged when it is being powered by usb? I'm guessing it's the former and not the latter but I like the latter option better. Also is there any channel imbalance when being driven by sensitive iem's when being used as an amp?

Oct 11, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #988 of 1,153

Quote:
I have a question about the D4. I already know how it sounds...at least with some opamp rolled so it definitely does sound good. Do you need to buy a separate charger for the 9v battery or can it be charged when it is being powered by usb? I'm guessing it's the former and not the latter but I like the latter option better. Also is there any channel imbalance when being driven by sensitive iem's when being used as an amp?

No it can't be charged when it is being powered by usb. I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/Hitech-Two-Lithium-Ion-Batteries-Charger/dp/B0038AT44C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1286840900&sr=8-4

I don't know what sensitive iems you have in mind but I love how it sounds with my UM3X 

Oct 11, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #989 of 1,153

Quote:

The 9v battery cannot be charged inside the D4 by outside charger or  by USB.  There is no charging provision at all, so if you want avoid buying a lot of 9v batteries, you need to use a rechargeable 9v with its own charger. 

Oct 11, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #990 of 1,153
[size=10pt]Hey what is the purpose of having two (dual) DACs? I did not read all 66 pages of threads (thought this is probably a given question and not discussed here?) [/size]
[size=10pt]A simple answer or direction to where I can find the answer would be appreciated.[/size]
[size=10pt]Thanks [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back