iBasso D42 "Mamba" with dual dacs! !! Hey Hey! Improved Starting on Page 76 .
Aug 9, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #946 of 1,153
Yes, the D4 is a lot of fun with all the options and choices of opamps. What always comes to mind with the D4 is that is that it is a very clean and straight forward sounding amp. 

Aug 13, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #948 of 1,153
This is almost a non-issue, as very few D4 users have had problems with clipping.  It has been quite some time since this has been discussed on the thread.   Perhaps iBasso has addressed  this as a production update.  I do know that they did not feel that it was an issue that adversely affected the performance of the DAC at the time it was discussed on the thread.  It does not in any way affect the operation of the amplifier section. 

Aug 14, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #949 of 1,153
when I had my d4, I had to lower the output volume of the computer by 15% or so to avoid clipping.  Not a big deal.  Maybe they fixed it in the meantime.

Aug 17, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #950 of 1,153
Hi!

Ok, I have $ 250.00 to spend on an amplifier to pair with my Westone 3 using an Ipod 5G, Iphone 3GS and maybe soon a Cowon J3. And  I think the Ibasso D4 Mamba is the right choice and I hope it has a good synergy with the Westone 3 (If I'm wrong, and I could buy a better amp with $250.00 please help me)  My focus is on sound quality because I already have a Nuforce uDac as a DAC  .  My question is if I buy a rechargeable battery for the amp, will I need to open the D4 every time that I need to charge the battery, or I will just need to connect the D4 on the wall outlet? 

Thank You! 
happy_face1.gif

Rodrigo

Aug 17, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #951 of 1,153

Quote:
Hi!

Ok, I have $ 250.00 to spend on an amplifier to pair with my Westone 3 using an Ipod 5G, Iphone 3GS and maybe soon a Cowon J3. And  I think the Ibasso D4 Mamba is the right choice and I hope it has a good synergy with the Westone 3 (If I'm wrong, and I could buy a better amp with $250.00 please help me)  My focus is on sound quality because I already have a Nuforce uDac as a DAC  .  My question is if I buy a rechargeable battery for the amp, will I need to open the D4 every time that I need to charge the battery, or I will just need to connect the D4 on the wall outlet? 

Thank You! 
happy_face1.gif

Rodrigo

You open it every time you need to swap in a charged 9v battery.

Aug 18, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #952 of 1,153
Thank You HeadphoneAddict!  Hope it is not so hard to open 
smile.gif

Aug 21, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #953 of 1,153
Take a second to think about the thickness of the ipod and D4 taped together before buying it for portable use :)

Sep 26, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #954 of 1,153
Hello,
I think I saw it somewhere in the thread but could not find it anymore.
Can the D4 amp be used alone, powered by USB (as in amplifying an external signal, not using the DAC)?
Thank you!
Lionel

Sep 27, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #956 of 1,153
Thanks,
Which means that connecting the USB for power is not going to 'force' the signal path to come from the DAC ? (sorry if I look to instist a bit to be sure !)
Maybe that's for the D2 that I saw something like that then.

I am asking because I might be in situations where I want to draw the power from the laptop to use the D4 as an amp only.

Lionel

Sep 27, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #957 of 1,153

Quote:
Thanks,
Which means that connecting the USB for power is not going to 'force' the signal path to come from the DAC ? (sorry if I look to instist a bit to be sure !)
Maybe that's for the D2 that I saw something like that then.

I am asking because I might be in situations where I want to draw the power from the laptop to use the D4 as an amp only.

Lionel

The D4 will only output the audio from the USB when using the USB input.  The AUX IN/OUT will only output the decoded DAC when plugged to USB cable.  This allows the D4 to be used as a standalone DAC and will draw no power from the battery if the USB position is selected on the battery switch. 

Sep 27, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #958 of 1,153
Hi there,
Sorry, I am not sure to understand.
Does that mean that if USB isconnected (for power) then the amp will amplify the USB audio and not the line in ?
I am interested in having the possibility of using the amp alone (in usb powered mode).
Thank you
Lionel

Sep 27, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #959 of 1,153
You can use it as a standalone amp for your portable DAP/PMP without using the batteries. There's a switch on the back of it that says USB and Battery. When you plug it into your computer to use as an amp, NOT as a DAC, you can plug your DAP into AUX IN/OUT. 

I was listening to a very long song the other day with my Ipod + D4 and the battery just died. So I just plugged the D4 to my USB and continued listening!

Sep 27, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #960 of 1,153
Just to clarify further:  

If your D4 is connected to USB, you cannot use the amplifier section as a stand-alone amp.  If you plug any source into the Aux In/Out while connected to USB, you will hear nothing, regardless of the position of the power switch!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back