iBasso D42 "Mamba" with dual dacs! !! Hey Hey! Improved Starting on Page 76 .
Sep 27, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #961 of 1,153
Hi everybody,
So now I have 2 conflicting opposite statement !
Any other additional votes/experiences to chime in ?
I will email ibasso as well, they might respond.
thank you !
Lionel

Sep 27, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #962 of 1,153

Quote:
Just to clarify further:  

If your D4 is connected to USB, you cannot use the amplifier section as a stand-alone amp.  If you plug any source into the Aux In/Out while connected to USB, you will hear nothing, regardless of the position of the power switch!  

Well, I am listening to my Ipod with D4 right now and it is connected to USB and the switch is not on Battery but on USB 

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #963 of 1,153

Quote:

The D4 will only output the audio from the USB when using the USB input.  The AUX IN/OUT will only output the decoded DAC when plugged to USB cable.  This allows the D4 to be used as a standalone DAC and will draw no power from the battery if the USB position is selected on the battery switch. 

Quote:
Hi there,
Sorry, I am not sure to understand.
Does that mean that if USB isconnected (for power) then the amp will amplify the USB audio and not the line in ?
I am interested in having the possibility of using the amp alone (in usb powered mode).
Thank you
Lionel

Quote:
You can use it as a standalone amp for your portable DAP/PMP without using the batteries. There's a switch on the back of it that says USB and Battery. When you plug it into your computer to use as an amp, NOT as a DAC, you can plug your DAP into AUX IN/OUT. 

I was listening to a very long song the other day with my Ipod + D4 and the battery just died. So I just plugged the D4 to my USB and continued listening!

Quote:
Just to clarify further:  

If your D4 is connected to USB, you cannot use the amplifier section as a stand-alone amp.  If you plug any source into the Aux In/Out while connected to USB, you will hear nothing, regardless of the position of the power switch!  

Mine is like HiFlight's experience.  If I provide USB power I can only use USB DAC as the input, but not the DAP or iPod.  I must use a 9v battery for power if I want to listen to an iPod.  Applying USB power always changes my D4 analog input jack into the DAC line out.

I think the first batch of D4 (like mine) could not use USB power for listening to an iPod.

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #964 of 1,153
Oh ok, I didn't know there were differences in different batches, I bought mine about a month (?) ago, I think. 

Just to help Lionel better here's what I mean: 

Sep 27, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #965 of 1,153
Here is a quote from the D4 manual: found here http://www.ibasso.com/download/2010226223657.pdf

"When there is a USB signal inputting, the D4 will provide Line Out on the AUX IN/OUT port, at the same time, provide amplified signal on the Headphone jack. If there is an analog signal inputting from the AUX IN/OUT jack, the D4 will work as a standalone headphone amplifier and provide amplified signal on the Headphone jack."

Sep 27, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #966 of 1,153
I'm not sure about on the computer, haven't tried it like that.

I do on the other hand know that you can power it from the USB and listen to my J3 when I connect it to my PS3.

What you would probably have to do is set your computer to another sound card and the D4 will most likely not be transmitting any data and just be powered
by the USB.

Hope that helps some and I'm clear enough.

Sep 27, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #967 of 1,153
I apologize,  I made a mistake! 
redface.gif
 When you connect the usb cable to the back of the D4 it will not work as a stand alone amp.

Sep 27, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #968 of 1,153

Quote:
I apologize,  I made a mistake! 
redface.gif
 When you connect the usb cable to the back of the D4 it will not work as a stand alone amp.

I don't understand. How come Nanashi and I are able to use D4 as an amp for our Ipod/Cowon when it is connected to a USB source? 

Sep 27, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #969 of 1,153

Quote:
I don't understand. How come Nanashi and I are able to use D4 as an amp for our Ipod/Cowon when it is connected to a USB source? 

Defective? lol

Maybe there was a bug in the earlier D4's and later ones accept the input from AUX and then use the amp section only, even when using the USB for power, which would make since. 

Sep 27, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #970 of 1,153
Lol ^^^

Alright, I just checked my earlier theory, when you change the playback device on your computer (from USB DAC to normal computer speakers or whatever you use) the D4 does
indeed play from the Aux In.

If this does not work for anyone else then I guess jamato is right and it does have something to do with the later models. (Got mines recently by the way.)

Someone confirm please.

Sep 28, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #971 of 1,153
This must be the behavior (no active usb audio on the USB cable would allow to power by usb and amp the aux in).
And maybe the earlier model behaved differently.

As a note, ibasso has confirmed that the amp can be used alone, on USB power and amplify the signal from the line in.

Thank you for the input in put and experience !
Lionel

Sep 28, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #973 of 1,153
Sep 29, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #975 of 1,153

Users who are viewing this thread

Back