iBasso D42 "Mamba" with dual dacs! !! Hey Hey! Improved Starting on Page 76 .
Nov 8, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #226 of 1,153
Is it "normal" when connecting headphones (AT-ESW9) to the D4 to hear a annoying hiss?(before conecting DAP)
fsssssssssssssssss...lol
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #227 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitor Teixeira /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it "normal" when connecting headphones (AT-ESW9) to the D4 to hear a annoying hiss?(before conecting DAP)
fsssssssssssssssss...lol
biggrin.gif

Does it hiss after the DAp is connected?

Nov 9, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #228 of 1,153
Yes, it goes on when i connect the DAP, but now a strange thing hapenned,
i connect the cable to iPod and the "sound" volume just disapears!
I think it might be the cable...its a LOD cable that i purchased from iBasso with
the D4, but i dont feel that is a very good one....
Or maybe its the iPod going mad, stupid..just reminds me that when i tak'em off
the JBL dock happens the same, iPod soundless...maybe im searching the wrong problem, maybe it was the iPod all the time..bah
frown.gif

btw any recomendation for a good and reliable LOD for Touch 2G?
(sorry for the offtopic question)

Nov 9, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #229 of 1,153
I'm a bit unclear -- is the D4 making a hiss noise? I'm using sensitive IEMs (UM3X), and I'm specifically interested in getting D4 partly to eliminate hiss when I plug the UM3X directly into my laptop's phone out...

On a related note: are left/right levels balanced at low volumes? My understanding is that can be a common problem, depending on the type of volume control...

Nov 9, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #230 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I took my Topkit equipped D4 to a local Mini-meet this past weekend, and asked several listeners to attempt to hear any differences in sound when switching between the USB and Battery power. None could detect any audible differences.

I am sure that this was one of the major considerations by iBasso, as the D4 is likely to be used most often via USB input.

The ability of the D4 to deliver the same quality of audio while using no battery power at all in the USB configuration is, without question, a major selling point.

That's really good news, HiFlight. Thanks! I wonder, if you hadn't ever known the price tag, would you have believed it if someone had told you this thing is only $219?

Nov 9, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #231 of 1,153
fwiw, a few thing iBasso replied to me:

1) "The battery does improve the sound a little, and most of people cant tell the difference. The D4 is better than the D2+ for sure."

2) "In our experience, the USB input isnt as quiet as other input in all USB device. But the D4's USB-DAC is still quiet enough for your music listening, even with very sensitie IEMs."

3) "We use ALPS potentiometer on the D4. Also, we pick potentiometer before solder it to the board. All potentiometer has less than 2 dB imbalance, and we throw more than 50% potentiometer which has large than 2dB difference on small volume. Therefore, our products does not have imbalance problem."

Nov 9, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #232 of 1,153
I haven't' noticed any hiss or imbalance at all using Etymotics, Shure IEM's, Grado 60's, or HD-600's.

The D4 is very good and I continue to be impressed by what it's capable of at a relatively modest cost.

Nov 9, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #233 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by tav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't' noticed any hiss or imbalance at all using Etymotics, Shure IEM's, Grado 60's, or HD-600's.

The D4 is very good and I continue to be impressed by what it's capable of at a relatively modest cost.

And just to be sure, here you're taking about using it as a USB DAC?

Nov 9, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #234 of 1,153
I hear NO hiss when using it as a DAC or amplifier only.

Nov 9, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #236 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by turnstyle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And just to be sure, here you're taking about using it as a USB DAC?

ReadyNAS > MacBoook > D4 > Various IEM's and Headphones.

BTW, the sound via the D4 LINE OUT to an IPOD/IPHONE LOD is quite nice as well.

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #238 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW!

My iBasso D4 arrived today and right out of the box it sounds pretty darn close to my 1000+ hour D10 with TLE2141 class-A/EL8201 topkit. I love it.

Wow is right! You beat me HPA! I was supposed to have mine today, but took the boys to the park, worth it to miss the UPS guy, but man am I excited for it!

Nov 10, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #239 of 1,153
My D4's DHL delivery notice was on my door when I got home after work today. And they will come here again tomorrow, but I am sure nobody will be home neither. And Wednesday is a holiday, so I only can pick it up on Thursday. Really can not wait.......
frown.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #240 of 1,153
Newbie here!

After several trips to various Hi-Fi stores around town in the last month to test headphones and a few dac/amps and several days of reading post after post on this forum I finally broke down and made my first ever 'sound' purchase:

Grado RS1i and ibasso D4 (for PC listening)

I'm pretty sure I won't have any complaints given that I'm coming from crap mp3s, crap soundcard, and crap $50 Sony headphones.

Did I make a good choice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back