iBasso D42 "Mamba" with dual dacs! !! Hey Hey! Improved Starting on Page 76 .
Nov 5, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #211 of 1,153
A possibly silly question:

I understand that I can connect the D4 to my macbook using USB, then headphone/aux out to my IEMs (curently using UM3X).

Am wondering if I can do the same for an ipod/iphone, or must I use a LOD? Thanks for any help!

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #212 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by supern0va /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A possibly silly question:

I understand that I can connect the D4 to my macbook using USB, then headphone/aux out to my IEMs (curently using UM3X).

Am wondering if I can do the same for an ipod/iphone, or must I use a LOD? Thanks for any help!

Yeah, you can do the same. You just plug a 3.5mm to 3.5mm into the aux out and ipod. But a LOD should be much better since it bypasses the ipod's amp.

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #213 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by V3ng3anc3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, you can do the same. You just plug a 3.5mm to 3.5mm into the aux out and ipod. But a LOD should be much better since it bypasses the ipod's amp.

No, I don't mean a 3.5-to-3.5, but using the Apple-provided USB cable to connect the iPod to the D4 (at the USB port). Is this possible?

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #214 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by supern0va /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I don't mean a 3.5-to-3.5, but using the Apple-provided USB cable to connect the iPod to the D4 (at the USB port). Is this possible?

Ahhh ok, my bad. Then I'm not really sure, but I think I remember this question on another thread, and I think the answer was no, correct me if I'm wrong. I think it was because the iPod doesn't support a LOD to usb, also the DAC runs off the power through the usb, but won't take power from an iPod.

Nov 5, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #215 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking forward to your review.

X2
popcorn.gif

Nov 7, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #216 of 1,153
I received the D4 today and have been listening a bit. My impressions;

- It's small, very small. Smaller than a pack of cigarettes.
- Although far from being broken in, it sounds lovely driving HD-600's in the high gain setting. Plenty of bass, deep sound stage, very good mid range. No background hiss or other unwanted noises.
- Shipping time was amazing, 2 Days from China to the West Coast
- The D4 appears to support up to 16/48 sampling

Best $200 I've spent towards my music listening pleasure in a long time. If you are in the market for a highly portable USB DAC/AMP don't hesitate and buy one.

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #219 of 1,153
Hoping to quickly confirm something...

Laptop > (via USB) > D4 > UM3x

I won't need to use the battery for that, right?

And if I were to use the battery, there wouldn't be much (if any) improvement to the sound quality?

Nov 7, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #221 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by V3ng3anc3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, you won't need a battery if you have the D4 plugged into your laptop and having it completely powered through the USB.

Thanks -- and am I correct to think that using the battery doesn't improve the sound quality much (if at all)?

Nov 7, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #222 of 1,153
Hey I tried the D4 in UK meet today, I used it via usb with my laptop so can't comment on how good is the dac or amp alone, but the combo is very good indeed.
I used to have the D3, and found the D4 (stock) have more detail, dynamic, cleaner sound the bass is tighter at the bottom end.
And yes the case look really nice!

Nov 8, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #223 of 1,153
Hi guys, new here and to headphone listening in general. Am I correct in assuming the D4 and other iBasso amps don't include a cross-feed circuit? Don't see any mention of it in the literature.

Nov 8, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #224 of 1,153
No cross feed.. there is a gain switch however.

Nov 8, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #225 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by turnstyle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks -- and am I correct to think that using the battery doesn't improve the sound quality much (if at all)?

I took my Topkit equipped D4 to a local Mini-meet this past weekend, and asked several listeners to attempt to hear any differences in sound when switching between the USB and Battery power. None could detect any audible differences.

I am sure that this was one of the major considerations by iBasso, as the D4 is likely to be used most often via USB input.

The ability of the D4 to deliver the same quality of audio while using no battery power at all in the USB configuration is, without question, a major selling point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back