iBasso D42 "Mamba" with dual dacs! !! Hey Hey! Improved Starting on Page 76 .
Nov 4, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #196 of 1,153
My general view on the D4 vs the D10 from reading everyone's impressions is that the D4 is the new star for sound quality, while the D10 still remains the "swiss army knife" of the series (and portable dac/amps in general) with its versatile input/output options.

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #197 of 1,153
I just ordered D4 today. Thank you jamato8 and HiFlight helping me made the decision.

Nov 4, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #198 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D4 is a really great device.

How does the sound coming out from the D4 @ 5v USB compare to the Amp3, especially with your ES3X? No hiss and a bit warmer than the Amp3, I hope? Thanks.

Nov 4, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #199 of 1,153
So if it provides the best SQ, what's really the point of buying the P3+? 20bucks less and longer batterylife only?

Nov 4, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #200 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So if it provides the best SQ, what's really the point of buying the P3+? 20bucks less and longer batterylife only?

That and the ability to use an external power adapter, if desired.
Also, one can play with the configuration of the ground channel with different opamp combinations in the P3+.

For those who like to experiment with various architecture configurations and opamp choices, the P3+ is a good choice for a basic amp.

While the D4 lacks the ability to use an external power adapter and has a fixed ground architecture, the dual DACs and excellent amplifier quality make it a good all-around choice.

FWIW, if I was forced to keep only one of my iBasso amps, it would be the D4.

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #201 of 1,153
Uhh, what about my question?
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #202 of 1,153
Based on discussions here I ordered a D4 yesterday. IBasso has already sent my tracking number, surprisingly prompt service.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes to move from SHENZHEN China to Seattle.

BTW, I"ll be using this primarily with a MacBook, Etymotic ER6i and HD-600's.

Music Library is on a Netgear ReadyNAS.

Thanks for the knowledgeable guidance on this thread.

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #203 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D4 is essentially a stand-alone USB DAC. When USB is plugged in, it will pass thru a a decoded USB signal via the Aux output with no battery power required at all. IMO, the SQ of the D4 DAC is excellent in all respects.

This means that it draws power from the USB port no?

Can you please check whether there is any hissing whatsoever when the D4 is used as DAC-only?

Nov 4, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #204 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This means that it draws power from the USB port no?

Can you please check whether there is any hissing whatsoever when the D4 is used as DAC-only?

The DAC is completely powered by the USB. I plugged my Shure SE530 into the aux output which bypasses the amp (with the DAC plugged in of course) and it is dead silent.

Nov 4, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #205 of 1,153
I don't get any hiss and when the music is on, great sound. :^)

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #207 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am very tempted to get one just to compare it with the Pico.
biggrin.gif

Like they say: FOR SCIENCE!

Go for it! It should be a very interesting comparison.

Nov 5, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #209 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I forgot to mention I ordered one today. So, I'll add it to my USB DAC/amp review after burn-in.

Looking forward to your review.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #210 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I forgot to mention I ordered one today. So, I'll add it to my USB DAC/amp review after burn-in.

Yayyy, another review of a great product from you! Will look forward to it as well; even though, at a $219 pricetag, I think we don't really need many more reviews to see that this product is pretty decent value, judging from Jamato8 and Hiflight's impressions. I mean, how iBasso could manufacture a new flagship that costs 20% less than their former flagship boggles my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back