iBasso D42 "Mamba" with dual dacs! !! Hey Hey! Improved Starting on Page 76 .
Oct 29, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #151 of 1,153
I would not consider the D4 to be "lower tier". IMO, it is right up there among the best portables in terms of circuit design and SQ. (price notwithstanding)

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #153 of 1,153
jamato8, I see in your signature that you also have an iBasso D10 and a Predator. Once your D4 is burned in, could you please give your impressions/ranking of how it compares using USB input? (I'll soon be buying one of those, or a pico, to use with Grado SR225s). Cheers.

Oct 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #155 of 1,153
Sigh... I have to decide between this and a Zune pass for the year. I guess I could buy this... and maybe sell it for 20 bucks less once I am done with it (or I decide its better than the pico and sell the pico). Maybe I can get them to send me one for review, as I have owned 5 or 6 of the more popular portable amps. Always worth a try right?

Oct 30, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #156 of 1,153
Pico is certainly the safer route because it sounds good and has a reputation here.

Nevertheless, though I am skeptical with this D4 due to my experience with the D10 (it isn't bad per se but the Pico is simply the better unit by quite a margin), I say don't let this stop you folks from getting it. Who knows that the D4 is better than the Pico after all?
wink.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #157 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pico is certainly the safer route because it sounds good and has a reputation here.

Nevertheless, though I am skeptical with this D4 due to my experience with the D10 (it isn't bad per se but the Pico is simply the better unit by quite a margin), I say don't let this stop you folks from getting it. Who knows that the D4 is better than the Pico after all?
wink.gif

I had the same experience with the D10.

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #159 of 1,153
USB input obviously. I'm going with my memories since I don't have the D10 with me now but tonally, the Pico sounded more effortless and organic to my ears. The D10 sounded a bit grainy and steely in the treble, the Pico has none of this.

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #160 of 1,153
Very fair.

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #161 of 1,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
USB input obviously. I'm going with my memories since I don't have the D10 with me now but tonally, the Pico sounded more effortless and organic to my ears. The D10 sounded a bit grainy and steely in the treble, the Pico has none of this.

It all depends upon what op amps you used in the D10. I have not heard the Pico but having read some reviews it does appear that the USB section is slightly better but that the optical section of the D10 is a little better when compared to the Pico using the USB input. I myself still prefer optical if given a choice but the D4 has improved over anything else I have heard via USB.

On the D4 the changing of op amps can morph it into a number of different sounds and I have found the amp section to be very dynamic and in the high frequencies, very clean. I also find the fit and finish of the D4 to be excellent with even the volume control knob now being made to iBasso specifications.

Oct 30, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #162 of 1,153
Yes I used USB imput too. So I asked iBasso if I could review one, doubt they will let me try it though. I don't see why they would because they have many great people already willing to do it for them.

Oct 30, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #164 of 1,153
Using the appropriate Topkits in each, I find that the D10 has a little wider and deeper soundstage, but the D4 bass reaches deeper and is tighter. Overall, the D4 has more impact. It also drives my AKG K-340s to a higher volume level than does the D10. Most likely due to the higher supply voltage.

Oct 30, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #165 of 1,153
I'm deciding between this amp and Amp3 Pro(2) player for my Yuin PK1 buds. I would use D4 with my netbook, but it wouldn't be as convenient as Amp3. Do you think that D4 will be much better for PK1-s than Amp3 Pro? So far I haven't gotten decent sound out of my PK1-s unamped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back