Ibasso D4 / T3 Review Thread
Nov 17, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #121 of 445
Quote:

Originally Posted by aBc.CaN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would the bass on the T3 compare to that of the J. Seaber CMoy bass boost or the PenguinAmp Caffeine?

Mine should be here within the next 48 hours. If the bass impact isn't significantly better than either of those amps after the first 100 hours, it will be going straight into the trash and I wont buy anything else from iBasso.

Nov 17, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #122 of 445
Wow! Awesome stuff! I'll be holding my breath for a few days! =D

Nov 17, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #123 of 445
I should clarify -- by 'reboot' I don't mean the whole OS, just the application generating audio. I've had the same experience with Rhapsody and also a Web site with a Flash embed.

Here's what happens -- the D4 is not plugged in, an app is playing audio, and the audio is coming out the PC -- I plug in the D4, and the audio continues to come out the PC -- I quit the app and restart it -- only now does it come out the D4.

Similarly, if I now unplug the D4, the audio doesn't start coming out the PC -- and if I plug the D4 back in, no audio -- I can only get audio again by quitting/restarting the app as above.

Nobody has that same experience? What OS are you using?

And to triple-check the imbalance -- I'm using sensitive IEMs (UM3X) -- and I have the D4's gain switch down -- if you have a similar setup, and turn the D4 down to a very low volume (ie, just loud enough to hear) -- you get NO imbalance?

Thanks!

Nov 17, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #124 of 445
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine should be here within the next 48 hours. If the bass impact isn't significantly better than either of those amps after the first 100 hours, it will be going straight into the trash and I wont buy anything else from iBasso.

Man, you're so against the T3 that I'm gonna wait until you say it's worth buying before I commit myself... I trust that you will be quite free of any bias or preconceptions, seeing how badly you actually want to throw the thing in the trash...
darthsmile.gif

And the T3D is a while away to begin with... 2-3 days to go, plenty of time for you to burn in and stuff...
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #125 of 445
I'm not 'against' the amp or iBasso - what I am wary of is the Head-Fi FOTM phenomenon. This is a toe in the water for me - I admit that I am still sceptical, but that doesnt mean I am not prepared to give this amp a hearing. If I didnt own the X, I would probably be less willing to accept that something so small could have a decent amp inside.

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #126 of 445
fwiw, iBasso just emailed to tell me I will need to restart audio applications whenever I attach/detach the D4 -- others here don't have to? (perhaps you picked up on my use of the word 'reboot' -- I don't have to reboot my OS, but I do have to quit/restart audio apps whenever I attach/detach the D4 -- and iBasso says that I should have to -- so, to be sure, you don't even need to quit/restart audio apps? What OS are you using?)

Thanks, -Scott

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #127 of 445
Quote:

I'm not 'against' the amp or iBasso - what I am wary of is the Head-Fi FOTM phenomenon. This is a toe in the water for me - I admit that I am still sceptical, but that doesnt mean I am not prepared to give this amp a hearing. If I didnt own the X, I would probably be less willing to accept that something so small could have a decent amp inside.

No he is just a thread hijacking skeptic, still fickle and unsure of his purchase decision. Some people are unable to be satisfied.

Nov 17, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #128 of 445
Oh well, I for one am prepared to give him a chance... Skeptics turned believers are always a good way to know if something is really good, or not...
biggrin.gif

Though the hijacking thing is kinda... well... :s

Nov 17, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #129 of 445
Quote:

Wow, surely you exaggerate.
eek.gif

If not, I have the perfect trash can at my place. I'll give you the address.
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #130 of 445
Folks, there is no need for such scepticism with regards to the T3. Listen to what the members that have a wide reference field of listening to other portable amps are saying about this amp. You will not be disappointed.
At this moment i have both the JSeaber BB cmoy and the penguin ultra sitting next to me- the cmoy is a great introduction into the portable amp world, but the bass boost function makes the music too bloated and flabby in the the lower frequencies for me. The penguin is a fine amp, with the bass boost and the gain setting both working admirably. But the T3, with the various gain setting option does what it is designed to do very well.
I am more than happy with both the T3 and the penguin, i would keep the T3 as an ultra portable on the go amp and the penguin as a workplace or at home driving larger 'phones amp, they both sound mighty fine and with Robert no longer making the penguin, to me, it will become a portable amp design classic.
The T3 is Gold.

Nov 17, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #131 of 445
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulybatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No he is just a thread hijacking skeptic, still fickle and unsure of his purchase decision. Some people are unable to be satisfied.

PB, any chance of you getting a grip ? I have no interest in hijacking your thread - if someone asks me my opinion, I am going to give it to them.

'fickle and unsure' ? 'unable to be satisfied' ? Satisfied with *what* ? The rantings of an iBasso fanboy ?

The value of scepticism is that you don't go into an experience with an 'OMG ! This is gonna be great !' attitude. If you read any of the HPA/Skylab reviews, you might notice that they mention the cons alongside the pros for each amp they review, and they allow sufficient time for initial impressions to gel before posting a review. Objectivity is always a challenge, but particularly here.

I regularly see posts from Head-Fiers who have paid for headphones/amps based on what they have read on Head-Fi, only to find that it didnt live up to the expectations they had when they tore the packing off the thing. Clearly, I wouldnt have bought this if I wasnt prepared to believe *some* of what I've read, but the main attraction is simply that its so cheap. I look forward to having my scepticism eroded by the performance of the latest FOTM portable.

Nov 18, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #132 of 445
Quote:

PB, any chance of you getting a grip ? I have no interest in hijacking your thread - if someone asks me my opinion, I am going to give it to them.

'fickle and unsure' ? 'unable to be satisfied' ? Satisfied with *what* ? The rantings of an iBasso fanboy ?

The value of scepticism is that you don't go into an experience with an 'OMG ! This is gonna be great !' attitude. If you read any of the HPA/Skylab reviews, you might notice that they mention the cons alongside the pros for each amp they review, and they allow sufficient time for initial impressions to gel before posting a review. Objectivity is always a challenge, but particularly here.

I regularly see posts from Head-Fiers who have paid for headphones/amps based on what they have read on Head-Fi, only to find that it didnt live up to the expectations they had when they tore the packing off the thing. Clearly, I wouldnt have bought this if I wasnt prepared to believe *some* of what I've read, but the main attraction is simply that its so cheap. I look forward to having my scepticism eroded by the performance of the latest FOTM portable.

You've already ordered, so you might as well just let it drop and wait for the package to arrive.
When it arrives, THEN post what you feel about the product!

EDIT:
Talking extensively about how already-released product may perform when you don't own one is usually frowned upon at Head-fi.
When you own it, listened to it, and you don't like it, then fine post away.

Nov 18, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #133 of 445
Quote:

Originally Posted by markh78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've already ordered, so you might as well just let it drop and wait for the package to arrive.
When it arrives, THEN post what you feel about the product!

EDIT:
Talking extensively about how already-released product may perform when you don't own one is usually frowned upon at Head-fi.

Thanks Mark...

I guess I dont mind being a fan-man
atsmile.gif
of ibasso, they are at the top of their game right now...and even the most critical of head-fiers cannot see any negatives with either of these amps

I was listening to my D3 for a few hours again today and glad I pulled the trigger...do some more extensive listening soon...slowly getting these amps burned in, this time I want to listen to them while I do it, no auto-pilot

popcorn.gif

popcorn.gif

Nov 18, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #134 of 445
Quote:

Originally Posted by markh78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Please ask PB what the timeline was for the following:

1. the creation of this thread
2. the arrival of his T3
3. the point at which he had clocked 100 hours up on said amp and was in a position to make a critical evaluation of it that went beyond 'OMG ! Its sooo awesome, peeps !'

If you want to come out in support of another Head-Fier, go right ahead, but it would be great if you had something resembling the facts in front of you when doing so.

Again, I have no issue with the T3, or iBasso, or senior member of Head-Fi : I *do* have an issue with FOTM, bandwagon-jumping and folk for whom any criticism of their equipment choices is taken as a personal attack. My caution to ANYONE considering an amp or headphone purchase is to try to find a review such as that written by Skylab or HPA and work from there - this thread has had little comparison with anything other than another iBasso product : it simply isnt a review, IMO. I will repeat what I said earlier - if Jamato hadnt endorsed the T3, I wouldnt have ordered it.

Nov 18, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #135 of 445
Quote:

Please ask PB what the timeline was for the following:

1. the creation of this thread
2. the arrival of his T3
3. the point at which he had clocked 100 hours up on said amp and was in a position to make a critical evaluation of it that went beyond 'OMG ! Its sooo awesome, peeps !'

If you want to come out in support of another Head-Fier, go right ahead, but it would be great if you had something resembling the facts in front of you when doing so.

Again, I have no issue with the T3, or iBasso, or senior member of Head-Fi : I *do* have an issue with FOTM, bandwagon-jumping and folk for whom any criticism of their equipment choices is taken as a personal attack. My caution to ANYONE considering an amp or headphone purchase is to try to find a review such as that written by Skylab or HPA and work from there - this thread has had little comparison with anything other than another iBasso product : it simply isnt a review, IMO. I will repeat what I said earlier - if Jamato hadnt endorsed the T3, I wouldnt have ordered it.

It's fine to be sceptical, I sure don't like FOTM stuff.
As I said before, you've already ordered it so please post your thoughts on how T3 perform WHEN it arrives, whether it's good or bad and why, and that will be a lot more helpful for others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back