Ibasso D2..
Dec 17, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #76 of 529
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shopper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because with a coaxial input I would use something else than a computer or a DAP as a digital source.
smily_headphones1.gif

Is the WM8741 considered an upgrade from the WM8740? I read that the former has -100 dB THD, the latter -104 dB; although the former has higher 125 dB vs. 117 dB SNR (this is irrelevant, I think). They say that the architecture is the same, the difference is that the 8741 has DSD decoding capabilities (which of course we aren't interested in).

Are you asking a question or are you trolling?

Wolfson claim and hail it as their flagship as well as their best sounding DAC chip. Maybe you know better than wolfson.

Dec 17, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #77 of 529
I have often read where a manufactures top of the line chip was supposed to sound better but it was not always the case. The DSD capability would add to the cost. They be "selecting" the more chip as with some chips known as N or K and adding up the cost due to the selecting process and figuring that since the chip is better matched to the specifications that it also sounds better. I have some 1865 chips that are N and K, with the K being the selected chip and costing more. Does it sound better? Well I use it but I don't know if it really sounds better.

I don't see how the above post is trolling. We are just discussing different possibilities.

Dec 17, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #78 of 529
Quote:

You may just check the information I provided! Maybe Wolfson know better than themselves.
tongue.gif

If as it seems the only real difference is DSD decoding, it would make no sense to me to "upgrade" to the WM8741, all the more so in a portable DAC/AMP with USB input only!

Also, perhaps Wolfson's claims (on which I take your word) may be read like "when it decodes DSD it's our best sounding DAC".

The biggest difference between the WM8741 and WM8740 is implementation in digital filtering which Wolfson claims to provide a characteristic that is much closer to that of a real-world analog response.

If you don't think it's a worthwhile $10 upgrade then you just save $10 that can go toward other gears.

Dec 18, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #79 of 529
So the WM8741 does not have USB-input capabilities, so that is why the PCM2706 is used to just take in USB-input which is then passed over to the WM8741 to act as the DAC?

And because of this, is Shopper saying that the USB-input of the PCM2706 will negate the potential of the WM8741 DAC too much? I mean, I would not mind an optical-in interface either, as my laptop does have S/PDIF-out, but I still don't understand Shopper's assertion that the DAC should be downgraded to the PCM2704 just because of the USB-input.

Dec 18, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #80 of 529
The D2 will run from a rechargable battery for the amp section and it does require the usb to use the dac but then the dac only works from the usb so. . . . I guess that makes sense. :^)

I may be having second thought on the newer generation of chips for taking the digital signal via a usb. I may end up contradicting myself or just changing my mind based upon new data. I will wait and see.

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #81 of 529
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may be having second thought on the newer generation of chips for taking the digital signal via a usb. I may end up contradicting myself or just changing my mind based upon new data. I will wait and see.

I agree. Just when it all makes sense, bang!, something new to think about. The only real "issue" I have with USB is: It is being recommended so heavily to people who have an existing digital out source. I think this is foolish, at least right now. Too many people are finding themselves on a tighter budget and it just makes good sense to utilize what you already have.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #84 of 529
Just take a look at iBasso website. They've already updated their 2nd prototype of D2. Look really nice! I wish they have a choice for their customer to change all the caps to BGs, so I don't need to replace them
redface.gif

D22nd1.jpg

D22nd2.jpg

I wonder why they still say this:
Quote:

After the D1, we have been working on the project of D2, an ultra portable USB-DAC/Amp combo, which has PCM2706+[size=x-small]WM8740[/size]+ 4 Channels headphone amp design.

Not WM8741?

Dec 21, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #85 of 529
I see. This is the dip version and the non dip which is shorter. It also looks like they are using polystyrene caps up front. I think this should be a very good sounding unit based on the D1 and the sound of the P2.

Dec 21, 2007 at 8:31 AM Post #87 of 529
They are using some pretty nice caps in there pilgrim. I think I would just go with the Cerafines, even though I have expressed love for Black Gates. Pretty exciting stuff.

Dec 21, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #88 of 529
Quote:

Really would you bother replacing Elna Cerafines or Oscons or Panasonic FMs etc. with Black Gates?
redface.gif

I'm a BG-mania
biggrin.gif

Anyway, just my own preference. Only hope that iBasso will use the best component for their products.

Dec 21, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #89 of 529
I believe they may be offering a short run with Black Gates, if the BG's can be obtained. Otherwise, to me, there is nothing like a Black Gate.

I had read a price of around 179 dollars for the D2 and quite a bit more with Black Gates.

Dec 22, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #90 of 529
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe they may be offering a short run with Black Gates, if the BG's can be obtained. Otherwise, to me, there is nothing like a Black Gate.

I had read a price of around 179 dollars for the D2 and quite a bit more with Black Gates.

179$ ??
eek.gif
The second time iBasso drives me crazy
cool.gif
Their p/p is very very amazing.
I will pay 199$ for a D2 with BGs and WM8741
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back