iBasso D2-Viper (Pictures, Impressions, and Reviews): Read the Rules!
Mar 11, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #166 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would run it off of the adapter unless you are going out and need it as a portable.

kk thanks guys, i guess i will plug it in right now.

Mar 11, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #168 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know what you mean, but from all the snake-oil type stuff on Head-fi and Speaker-fi communities, I would much rather place doubt on my aural memory. Music sounds different depending on so many variables that it's difficult to recall the quality of music you heard even a day before. Not only does the sound of music depend on your mood, but it also depends on how long you've been listening, your energy, the time of day, what you ate, whether you have allergies, the exact volume, how much you spent, etc.. For example, a simple difference in volume can lead to ideas such as "oh, the bass has more impact".

To decrease the number of variables, the only way is to have both amps at hand, and even in that case, it is difficult to make definite conclusions. I would only make a conclusion if I can identify repeatable differences that occur that varying volumes.

I bring this up because the D1 and D2 are designed by the same company. The amps are likely to be somewhat similar in signature, and I would doubt anyone who says that their D2 sounds better than the D1 they don't have anymore.

I don't want to get into the discussion of cables, but the scientific tests and anecdotal evidence do not coincide. This leads me to doubt other aspects of sound comparison.

Right on the mark powertoold. It's absurd around here. I have been an audiophile for 30 years and every year it gets more and more absurd. I find the claims an insult to my intelligence. Thanks for the apposing voice of reason.

Mar 11, 2008 at 9:20 AM Post #169 of 615
Then can we conclude that choosing or buying audiophile equipment is simpler and easier for the people who don't seem to hear the differences?

I never actually heard good equipment till recently but it was quality of sound that made me enjoy my music more. I heard better sounds with better cables and better amps and better headphones. If it's a hassle to differentiate I think in a way that's cool. It makes it all easier for you
biggrin.gif

I wish I could not differentiate so I could stop buying stuff hahaha

I will buy a tube amp after but I ordered one of these
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #170 of 615
Ok, so I have one of the high gain units and this is the response I got from iBasso :

Also, We had a meeting this morning. We know returning it for modification and then send it back will cost many days. Most of the buyer wont satisfy this solution. So, we have decided to provide another solution. We will send a PCB replacement out, you can replace your original PCB,
So, there are two solutions.
1, you can send it back for modification, we will pay for the shipping cost.
2, we will send you a PCB replacement.
3, you buy a new one, and send the old one back for full refund.
Please choose one of these solutions. Thank you.

Can someone please tell me what a PCB replacement is? Is it a part inside the D2 I need to replace?

Mar 11, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #171 of 615
The PCB is the whole board.

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #172 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by onlychild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, so I have one of the high gain units and this is the response I got from iBasso :

Can someone please tell me what a PCB replacement is? Is it a part inside the D2 I need to replace?

PCB= Printed Circuit Board. Basically they will send you a new amp sans the case, you take the PCB board out of your case and send it back to them, and put the new on in the case you have. Not a bad solution if you ask me. Question is, how do I tell if I have a High gain unit. The Vol pot on mine (now that Im listening with more sensitve HP) is either too much or too little.

Mar 11, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #174 of 615
Quote:

Also, We had a meeting this morning. We know returning it for modification and then send it back will cost many days. Most of the buyer wont satisfy this solution. So, we have decided to provide another solution. We will send a PCB replacement out, you can replace your original PCB,
So, there are two solutions.
1, you can send it back for modification, we will pay for the shipping cost.
2, we will send you a PCB replacement.
3, you buy a new one, and send the old one back for full refund.
Please choose one of these solutions. Thank you.

So to replace the PCB do you just have to remove the pot and everything else just slides into place, including the gain switch? This kind of sucks considering I have 5 days of burn in on my unit bit this might be the best solution. Their site says new units will ship in one week and if you send the unit in you will be w/o and amp for approx 2 weeks. Or I could buy a new unit, and wait until it burns in until sending the high gain unit back. I don't think this is unreasonable, any thoughts.

Mar 11, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #175 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by meusickfrek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So to replace the PCB do you just have to remove the pot and everything else just slides into place, including the gain switch? This kind of sucks considering I have 5 days of burn in on my unit bit this might be the best solution. Their site says new units will ship in one week and if you send the unit in you will be w/o and amp for approx 2 weeks. Or I could buy a new unit, and wait until it burns in until sending the high gain unit back. I don't think this is unreasonable, any thoughts.

You don't have to remove anything, just the case. Just wait until they send you a PCB replacement before you send them yours. It sounds like they will send you the replacement first and then you send yours back. That's what I took that to mean. So just ask them to send you a PCB replacement, and during that time enjoy your high gain D2. Then when theirs comes just swap out the whole board, and send the high gain one back to them. That's all there is to it!

Mar 11, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #176 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't have to remove anything, just the case. Just wait until they send you a PCB replacement before you send them yours. It sounds like they will send you the replacement first and then you send yours back. That's what I took that to mean. So just ask them to send you a PCB replacement, and during that time enjoy your high gain D2. Then when theirs comes just swap out the whole board, and send the high gain one back to them. That's all there is to it!

I also have one of the high gain models. Could that explain the popping sound you get when you switch from low to high gain, or does that occur for everybody? Also is the only difference between the normal and high gain version that the volume gets a lot louder when you switch to high gain on my version? Would there be any other sound differences or anything? It doesn't seem like such a bad mistake to have if the only difference is that it gets louder than others on high gain. (I'm trying to decide if its worth the hassle of sending mine back or just keeping it).

Mar 11, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #177 of 615
The pop happens with all of them when switching from low to high gain. Normal.

Mar 11, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #178 of 615
Chronos,

I'm not sure if this is occuring because I have the high gain model or if its my laptop, but at home I get ALOT of buzzing noise on my Sony Vaio that gets louder when the volume is turned up or if I touch the unit, but then at work on a much cheaper Dell, I don't have this problem. I am thinking the high gain model is causing all this extra buzzing. So my suggestion is to definitely swap it out while iBasso is doing it for free. Even if you do not see any issues right now, you might later on with a new computer.

The D2 was not designed by iBasso to have the high gain, they only did it as a request for someone who was buying many units and wanted them that way.

Mar 11, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #180 of 615
Quote:

Chronos,

I'm not sure if this is occuring because I have the high gain model or if its my laptop, but at home I get ALOT of buzzing noise on my Sony Vaio that gets louder when the volume is turned up or if I touch the unit, but then at work on a much cheaper Dell, I don't have this problem. I am thinking the high gain model is causing all this extra buzzing. So my suggestion is to definitely swap it out while iBasso is doing it for free. Even if you do not see any issues right now, you might later on with a new computer.

The D2 was not designed by iBasso to have the high gain, they only did it as a request for someone who was buying many units and wanted them that way.

I also get the same thing happening with my vaio laptop. I figure it has something to do with the power going to the usb on the laptop. I've yet to try it on another computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back