iBasso D2-Viper (Pictures, Impressions, and Reviews): Read the Rules!
Mar 12, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #196 of 615
Well, the OPA2134 sounds pretty good in IC-7, and AD746, OPA6172 and AD8066 sounded good in LR, as well as ADA4847-1, but after all the rounds of trials, I ended up back at the same place I started. 55002 in LR and 4032 in IC-7. LMH6655 did not work at all in IC-7 but didn't sound bad in LR. LME49720 lacked impact and had a rather restricted soundstage.

I don't really think the cost of the 55002 and 4032 is that much higher than many of the others, considering the superb performance and the fact that only one of each is required in this amp.

Of course there are many other sets of ears that could well prefer something other than what I like.

The D2 is without doubt going to give a lot of higher priced amp-dac a good run for the money! It is a beautifully done amp inside and out.

PS...The ISL55002IB is made by Intersil and the THS4032 by Texas Instruments and my T-6 torx bit fits the case screws perfectly. They were not very tight and quite easy to remove and replace.

Mar 12, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #198 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the OPA2134 sounds pretty good in IC-7, and AD746, OPA6172 and AD8066 sounded good in LR, as well as ADA4847-1, but after all the rounds of trials, I ended up back at the same place I started. 55002 in LR and 4032 in IC-7. LMH6655 did not work at all in IC-7 but didn't sound bad in LR. LME49720 lacked impact and had a rather restricted soundstage.

I don't really think the cost of the 55002 and 4032 is that much higher than many of the others, considering the superb performance and the fact that only one of each is required in this amp.

Of course there are many other sets of ears that could well prefer something other than what I like.

The D2 is without doubt going to give a lot of higher priced amp-dac a good run for the money! It is a beautifully done amp inside and out.

PS...The ISL55002IB is made by Intersil and the THS4032 by Texas Instruments and my T-6 torx bit fits the case screws perfectly. They were not very tight and quite easy to remove and replace.

I'm actually glad those opamps are good for the D2 hehe. The AD74x series isn't free, so I would have to spend a lot of money on those. I can get those of the ISL and THS as samples because I am in a university, so less money = woohoo! Thanks for figuring out the combination!

Right now I'm using the AD8599 in buffer and AD4841-2 in main.

Mar 12, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #199 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HiFlight, both op-amps are available in Digikey. However which of them should I get. Here are the searches. Thanks.

Digi-Key Part Search

Digi-Key Part Search

These are the correct Digikey part numbers:

296-7524-5-ND
ISL55002IBZ-T7CT-ND

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #200 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Google the opamp and find out what company. Go on their site. Smooth sailing.

Thanks, this will be my first rolling experience
biggrin.gif

Hiflight, can you compare the stock opamps to your preferred setup?

edit: also how does the 4841 & 55002 compare to this setup and what cans are you using? Thanks

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #202 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might have to solder those onto adapters though. They aren't DIP I don't think. They are SOIC.

Thats good to know, I'm really liken the stock setup though, almost afraid to know how good things can get.

Edit:Hiflight, can you compare the stock opamps to your preferred setup?
Also, how does the 4841 & 55002 compare to this setup and what cans are you using? Thanks

Mar 12, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #203 of 615
So the only difference between the high gain version and the regular is that one is louder than the other when switched to high gain right? Any high gainers out there keeping theres, and why?

Mar 12, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #206 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by fourier427 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so if i order a d2 right now from ibasso, will i get a defective one with the high gain?

It isn't defective it has too high a gain for most people but they aren't sending that one out to "regular" buyers. It was a special order for a company.

Mar 12, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #207 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chronos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the only difference between the high gain version and the regular is that one is louder than the other when switched to high gain right? Any high gainers out there keeping theres, and why?

Hi everyone, my name is Paul and I am a high gainer, I was a high gainer for three days before I found out and hope to not be a high gainer in the future....
biggrin.gif

Seriously, I am returning mine because the amp was not designed to be high gain, it may effect sound quality, you should have better volume control, and if you want to sell it, who would want to buy an amp w/a gain of 23?

Mar 12, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #208 of 615
I have 115 hours on my D2, and it is sounding fairly good right now. Most of my complaints have been gone since I reported it sounded better last night. Not a whole lot of changes. Not planning to direct compare D2 to Predator, PICO or Lyrix which all have USB DAC till 300+ hours...

Then I have a ton of opamps to try out in this puppy after I compare them stock.

Mar 12, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #209 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by meusickfrek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you elaborate?
confused.gif

First is the fact that they will send an entire D2 if you pay for it, then refund the first upon return. Or, they will pay all the shipping if you are willing to live without it for 2 weeks to send back and they ship back = they pay for 2 of the 3 total trips back and forth.

But, if they offer to send the PCB only, for free, without opamps and case and charger, I don't think they are expecting to get the old PCB back. You should ask them.

When my P2 died, they sent a new PCB without case opamps or charger. They didn't make me return the dead one, and I still have a dead P2 PCB with a melted chip in the charging circuit 3 months later. When the second P2 died, then I did have to return the whole P2 for store credit, which I used as partial payment for my D2. Which is working flawlessly.

Mar 12, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #210 of 615
Just got the D2 in yesterday, and so far I am liking it. Just need to burn it in for a couple of weeks. My only concern atm is whether anyone knows why the volume pot doesnt increase the sound past the 1 o'clock even when its spun past? I think I remember someone else mentioning it but not sure if it was in another thread about the D2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back