iBasso D2-Viper (Pictures, Impressions, and Reviews): Read the Rules!
Mar 10, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #151 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by ndskyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've found the same thing. Although I havent gotten an email stating that I have a High gain unit. But back to back testing of my D2 vs P2, Im inclined to think I have a high gain D2.

Well, there you go with the ampage
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #152 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by circuithero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is some slight static when charging and a hiss with usb. IMO it's cleanest without charger/usb.

That's true, but when it's finished charging, then the AC power is "clean" in terms of static.

Mar 10, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #154 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by voxdei_aer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uhh, will the D2 drive demanding headphones (like 250ohm cans)?? Or would it lack, exspecially in the bass?

thanks for any response. I might have to put it in bold next time
tongue.gif

It does a great job with my HD580's so you will be fine.

Mar 11, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #155 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you are saying you can compare portable amps by simply recalling their sound in your head?

Most of the time, yes. It certainly helps to do a direct comparison, and most of the time I insist on that, but occasionally that isn't possible.

I can over-focus on certain details and aspects of what I hear (bass, mids, treble, transparency, decay, coloration, soundstage), and I commit that to memory in terms that I will remember later when I need to. So, when I listen to the same piece of music later I can say to myself, "This doesn't sound like what I filed away last time I heard it."

Mar 11, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #156 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of the time, yes. It certainly helps to do a direct comparison, and most of the time I insist on that, but occasionally that isn't possible.

I can over-focus on certain details and aspects of what I hear (bass, mids, treble, transparency, decay, coloration, soundstage), and I commit that to memory in terms that I will remember later when I need to. So, when I listen to the same piece of music later I can say to myself, "This doesn't sound like what I filed away last time I heard it."

I know what you mean, but from all the snake-oil type stuff on Head-fi and Speaker-fi communities, I would much rather place doubt on my aural memory. Music sounds different depending on so many variables that it's difficult to recall the quality of music you heard even a day before. Not only does the sound of music depend on your mood, but it also depends on how long you've been listening, your energy, the time of day, what you ate, whether you have allergies, the exact volume, how much you spent, etc.. For example, a simple difference in volume can lead to ideas such as "oh, the bass has more impact".

To decrease the number of variables, the only way is to have both amps at hand, and even in that case, it is difficult to make definite conclusions. I would only make a conclusion if I can identify repeatable differences that occur that varying volumes.

I bring this up because the D1 and D2 are designed by the same company. The amps are likely to be somewhat similar in signature, and I would doubt anyone who says that their D2 sounds better than the D1 they don't have anymore.

I don't want to get into the discussion of cables, but the scientific tests and anecdotal evidence do not coincide. This leads me to doubt other aspects of sound comparison.

Mar 11, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #157 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know what you mean, but from all the snake-oil type stuff on Head-fi and Speaker-fi communities, I would much rather place doubt on my aural memory. Music sounds different depending on so many variables that it's difficult to recall the quality of music you heard even a day before. Not only does the sound of music depend on your mood, but it also depends on how long you've been listening, your energy, the time of day, what you ate, whether you have allergies, the exact volume, how much you spent, etc.. For example, a simple difference in volume can lead to ideas such as "oh, the bass has more impact".

To decrease the number of variables, the only way is to have both amps at hand, and even in that case, it is difficult to make definite conclusions. I would only make a conclusion if I can identify repeatable differences that occur that varying volumes.

I bring this up because the D1 and D2 are designed by the same company. The amps are likely to be somewhat similar in signature, and I would doubt anyone who says that their D2 sounds better than the D1 they don't have anymore.

I don't want to get into the discussion of cables, but the scientific tests and anecdotal evidence do not coincide. This leads me to doubt other aspects of sound comparison.

im pretty sure u can compare amps to they way u compare headphones... considering that u take ur headphones off... do u "recall" the sound from ur headphones to make a judgement? im pretty sure a lot of people do that, so i dont find anything wrong with doing that for amp =D

Mar 11, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #158 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im pretty sure u can compare amps to they way u compare headphones... considering that u take ur headphones off... do u "recall" the sound from ur headphones to make a judgement? im pretty sure a lot of people do that, so i dont find anything wrong with doing that for amp =D

The differences between headphones are different than amps. Headphones have obvious differences, whereas amps, especially portable ones, have subtle differences. It's just my view. Anyway, we should get back on topic!

I am really enjoying the imaging with the D2. I enjoy sort of looking around with my ears. It helps me visualize a space where the sounds are coming from.

I just compared the D2 with my Hot-rodded Audigy 2ZS again, and there is a noticeable difference. At first, I didn't notice much of a difference. I'm not sure if the difference now is due to burn-in or an adaptation to the D2 sound. The D2 sounds much better (in audio terms) than my Audigy. This makes me happy since I already thought the Audigy was good. I can try to roll some opamps on my Audigy and compare again, but I doubt any opamp will make it better than the D2's authoritative, crisp, and clear sound.

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #159 of 615
The D1 and D2 are very different and I don't expect them to sound alike. This is due to the output stage of the D2/P2, which is very different and the fact that opamp rolling is a factor as well as a general different topology.

Mar 11, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #160 of 615
Another 24 hours down, 88 total on the D2. (ALO modded HFI780 with 360 hours, while burn-in seemed pretty complete by 200 hours).

It is back to sounding good again. Bass has tightened up and is not as uncontrolled, and the highs are smoother. Soundstage is starting to open up now as well.

I have a bunch of opamps to try in it, but like the D1 I will give it 400 hours before I start that.

Mar 11, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #161 of 615
Quote:

Another 24 hours down, 88 total on the D2. (ALO modded HFI780 with 360 hours, while burn-in seemed pretty complete by 200 hours).

It is back to sounding good again. Bass has tightened up and is not as uncontrolled, and the highs are smoother. Soundstage is starting to open up now as well.

I have a bunch of opamps to try in it, but like the D1 I will give it 400 hours before I start that.

wow damn, how do u do that, do u just keep it plugged in and run pink noise in it? lol... ive only gotten like... 45 hours on it.

Mar 11, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #162 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow damn, how do u do that, do u just keep it plugged in and run pink noise in it? lol... ive only gotten like... 45 hours on it.

I run it 24 hours a day, and turn it off for 30-60 minutes or more to give it a rest and let the caps form, etc... I play a mix of music and pink noise and silence.

Mar 11, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #163 of 615
Quote:

I run it 24 hours a day, and turn it off for 30-60 minutes or more to give it a rest and let the caps form, etc... I play a mix of music and pink noise and silence.

right now i think ive done about... 20 hours of pink noise + digi silence, the rest is music.

Im just wondering, d2 can run on power right? so basically it doesnt really need ot use the battery right? cause im afraid if i run it for 24 hours, it will just drain the battery and charge it and keep repeating.

Mar 11, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #165 of 615
I would run it off of the adapter unless you are going out and need it as a portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back