Ibasso D2 Boa . . . new and smaller . . . with updates on 1st page. .
Jan 7, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #1,066 of 1,141
nice... Green also looks interesting.

Jan 9, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #1,068 of 1,141
I've been burning my d2 in since I received it, it's got around 40 hours on it now (and sounds much better than when it came out of the box, can't wait to hear what more time does).

around 30 hours in, I noticed the led on the front started to flicker a little, so I plugged it into the wall charger, set the switch to charge, and went to sleep. when I woke up, the charge light was off. since hooking it back up again, I've noticed the led on the front flickers, goes off completely, then flickers some more. the light never giving the constant bright glow it did when it was brand new. this behavior persists, regardless of being connected to headphones, gain switch on low or high, volume at high or low, etc...

here's a video of what I'm describing:
Video

the sound quality is not affected by this, but it's very annoying. did I just get a unit with a bad solder joint or something?

Jan 9, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #1,069 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by randytavis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been burning my d2 in since I received it, it's got around 40 hours on it now (and sounds much better than when it came out of the box, can't wait to hear what more time does).

around 30 hours in, I noticed the led on the front started to flicker a little, so I plugged it into the wall charger, set the switch to charge, and went to sleep. when I woke up, the charge light was off. since hooking it back up again, I've noticed the led on the front flickers, goes off completely, then flickers some more. the light never giving the constant bright glow it did when it was brand new. this behavior persists, regardless of being connected to headphones, gain switch on low or high, volume at high or low, etc...

here's a video of what I'm describing:
Video

the sound quality is not affected by this, but it's very annoying. did I just get a unit with a bad solder joint or something?

That flicker would drive me nuts, ending with my putting a bullet in it. Something is wrong with it, and you should contact iBasso.

Jan 21, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #1,072 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by ledzepberkeley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone compare the iBasso D2 Boa's vs the Nuforce Icon Mobile?

Skylab review: Review: Portable amp roundup! 37 portable amps reviewed and compared - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

HPA review: UPDATED 01/04 REVIEW 12 USB DAC amps - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio go to post #2

The Nuforce sounds better via USB than analog input. I still don't agree entirely with Skylab's Nuforce review, as via USB INPUT the Nuforce is only slightly brighter and slightly more forward than the 3MOVE, with slightly less bass. But, via analog input the Nuforce is a little brighter and a little more forward than via USB, which could account for the differences in our reviews. My review looks at them entirely as a USB Sound Card with only the DAC as the input. So, I tied the D2 Boa and Nuforce, where the D2 is better at in some areas and with certain headphones (HD600, Grado) and the Nuforce is better in other areas (Denon D2000, Edition 9). Both amps are colored sounding at times and not completely neutral or transparent like other higher level amps. Neither one has enough power to really let the HD600 shine, but I can enjoy either one with a variety of headphones when I use them.

Jan 21, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #1,073 of 1,141
Thanks for the help HeadphoneAddict
smily_headphones1.gif

I think unless I get a deal for the iBasso D2 Boa I'll stick with the Nuforce to drive my DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm...

Now the search for a LOD begins...

Feb 26, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #1,076 of 1,141
I've had my D2 boa for a few weeks now, and I'm really impressed with the sound. I've got a question about power consumption. If it's plugged into USB, the red link light is on, even if the volume knob is switched off. Is the red LED drawing current from USB, or is it draining the battery? I'm wondering if I can leave it plugged in and switched off without running the battery down.

Mar 2, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #1,078 of 1,141
hello fellow D2 owners! I'm thinking about a headphone upgrade. Would the D2 be able to drive the Sennheiser HD650 are would it be better to try the HD595? Thanks!

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #1,079 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hello fellow D2 owners! I'm thinking about a headphone upgrade. Would the D2 be able to drive the Sennheiser HD650 are would it be better to try the HD595? Thanks!

They could drive the HD600/650 better than a DAP will, but not even close to a desktop amp, and not nearly as well as the 3MOVE, Pico, TTVJ portable millett or Vivid V1. You may be better off with a HD595 but I have never heard one and a quite HD650 might be better than a properly amped 595, I don't know.

A better match for the D2 Boa is a Denon or an Ultrasone, or even a Grado - plus ATH-ESW10 or most IEM.

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #1,080 of 1,141
The HD 595 is now underway! That dedicated amp you're suggestion will be something for the future and the same goes for the HD 650. For now the Ibasso D2 will stay at my side. Thanks for the advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back