Ibasso D2 Boa . . . new and smaller . . . with updates on 1st page. .
Sep 3, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #1,021 of 1,141
I recently got a D2 Boa, and I'm enjoying the sound of it very much (about 160 hours burn-in so far). I just opened the amp up out of curiosity for the first time, and I think I can say pretty definitively this amp does not have 4-channel architecture like some of the other iBasso amps and amp/DAC's (D2 Viper, Python, and P2). There is one dual op-amp in there and that is an AD8656. There is no other SOIC op-amp present on the board that would constitute an op-amp in a 3/4 buffer position- unless it is concealed underneath the battery, which seems unlikely. There are 2 smaller IC's located pretty close to the AD8656 which look like they may function as buffers. Also, I have noticed that on the iBasso page for the D2 Boa, there is no mention of a 4-channel architecture as there is for the Python. The amp does sound very good, nonetheless, but I'm really not certain if this distinction has been previously noted.

Ibasso D2 Boa:
Main Features:
- Wolfson WM8740 DAC Chip + TI PCM2706
- USB signal input, provides I2S interface for decoding
- Works as a DAC+AMP Combo or a standalone AMP
- 2-Setting Gain Switch for impedance matching
- 470mAh rechargeable Li-polymer battery with integrated charging system
- Measures 51*21*82mm, and weighs only 108g
- Battery life is 38hours
- Comes with leather pouch, AC adapter, USB cable, warranty card, and owner¡¯s manual

iBasso D3 Python

Portable Amp/USB-DAC

Main Features:
- Wolfson WM8740 DAC Chip + TI PCM2706
- USB signal input, provides I2S interface for decoding
-4ch Amp architecture
- Line out function, allow it to work as a standalone USB-DAC
- 2-Setting Gain Switch for impedance matching (+3/10dB)
- Powered by 5 AAA batteries. With 5 AAA alkaline, the play time is longer than 100 hours
- Measures 55*21*92mm, and weighs 130g
- Comes with one silver and one black enclosure, also comes with leather pouch, USB cable, warranty card, and owner¡¯s manual

Sep 20, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #1,022 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See in red

interesting
what's your fav combination now ?

LTC6241HV opamp in the main, with LMH6655 in the ground channel

and also the faster - more aggressive combination for you

Maybe the ISL55002/THS4032? Not sure because I was never looking for faster and aggressive, been looking for full bodied and details and mesmerizing.

Tryin both now
needless to say IMO the rolled Viper is 1000% better then the boa ( I got both and soundwise comparison is not that available to my ears , that's to say they're nicely far one from the other sqwise , jmo )
no brainer for me there's no better chance around for the price and a rolled viper keep me very happy today

back to your answer ..
I'd like to know :
any chance to burn opas when swapping and wrong direction ?
the 2 combination you aforementioned are : first in front line , second back-side of the battery - am I right ?

thanks as always dear friend .

Sep 20, 2008 at 9:20 AM Post #1,023 of 1,141
listening to "Animals" , with the second set headphoneaddict adviced me , WinXP-> Foobar ( little eq , tweak due! )-> D2 Viper ISL55002/THS4032 -> recabled Hd600

it's lil short of IMPRESSIVE

power
bass - reach deep bass that one that generates inside the head and goes down the body -
clarity of vocals
there's even some presence where instrument presence is usually found in pricey gears ..
nice little gear
nice blackness
a hint of weight of notes/tones/sound too , other "serious" character
no cannot sobstitute a full rig soundwise for me , but achieves a good level , for his price outstanding . surely I've heard gear priced higher sounding worse

well made ibasso worth addendum to my laptop

Sep 20, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #1,025 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to know :
any chance to burn opas when swapping and wrong direction ?
the 2 combination you aforementioned are : first in front line , second back-side of the battery - am I right ?

thanks as always dear friend .

Maybe, backwards can damage them, so don't put them in backwards
tongue.gif

The main opamp is by the front volume knob, and pin #1 is at the front left. Ground opamp is by the rear battery, and pin #1 is closest to the battery (front right).

Sep 20, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #1,026 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe, backwards can damage them, so don't put them in backwards
tongue.gif

The main opamp is by the front volume knob, and pin #1 is at the front left. Ground opamp is by the rear battery, and pin #1 is closest to the battery (front right).

ok so no damage done

Sep 20, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #1,027 of 1,141
anyone tried rolling amps in the boa?

I was going to do some serious listening to the boa this summer...but took my reference amp and I sort of forgot about the boa :S

I didn't listen much to the laptop in the end
frown.gif

Sep 27, 2008 at 9:17 AM Post #1,028 of 1,141
hi i just bought this amp and its been great for my ipod.
however when i use it as a dac for my thinkpad t61. it doesn't really work. it works a few times but seems to freeze the audio and video if i try to listen on youtube or itunes. anyone know why that is?
i tried switching usb cables and it doesn't work. once it freezes, my attempts after have no sound or will have static. the red link light does go on and i do have the power on. like i said, it will work for a few seconds before the sounds goes out or freezing occurs. do i need to update some drivers? i dont think its a faulty unit cuz it works - must be something i'm missing.

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #1,029 of 1,141
Quote:

Originally Posted by VictoryOfThePeople /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi i just bought this amp and its been great for my ipod.
however when i use it as a dac for my thinkpad t61. it doesn't really work. it works a few times but seems to freeze the audio and video if i try to listen on youtube or itunes. anyone know why that is?
i tried switching usb cables and it doesn't work. once it freezes, my attempts after have no sound or will have static. the red link light does go on and i do have the power on. like i said, it will work for a few seconds before the sounds goes out or freezing occurs. do i need to update some drivers? i dont think its a faulty unit cuz it works - must be something i'm missing.

Any ideas?

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #1,030 of 1,141
yo guys.

whats the Specs of DAC of the Boa??

Oct 5, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #1,031 of 1,141
It is a PSM2706 USB receiver chip sending I2S digital data to the Wolfson WM4870 DAC (still 16 bit/48K). I believe the PCM2706 can output analog or S/PDIF but the D2 doesn't use either of those since the Wolfson can do a better job digital to analog, and I2S is much better out of the 2706 than S/PDIF as well (less jitter).

Oct 5, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #1,032 of 1,141
I received an email from iBasso today:
Quote:

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your email.
The following is the spec of the Boa DAC
Frequency Response: 20Hz~18 KHz +/- 0.5dB (DAC)
Signal to Noise Ratio:97dB (DAC)
Crosstalk: 93dB (DAC)
Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.006%@1kHz/0dB (DAC)

Sincerely
iBasso Audio

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #1,034 of 1,141
What source? It would sure benefit as it's impedence is so high so you'd need an amp anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back