iBasso D-Zero
Sep 8, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #61 of 240
I don't know there would be any improvement however if you just 'want' a better one, can't go wrong with monoprice.com 

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030302&p_id=5446&seq=1&format=2

Sep 8, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #62 of 240
OK, so whats the output impedance on this?  If it is >1ohm like most everything iBasso that's around 10ohms count me out.

Sep 8, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #63 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OK, so whats the output impedance on this?  If it is >1ohm like most everything iBasso that's around 10ohms count me out.

Here are all the specs from the user's manual. Output impedance as such isn't listed?

Specifications:
Power Source:Built-in 4.2V Li-polymer batteries or USB power supply
Frequency Response: 17Hz~20 KHz +/- 0.5dB (DAC) 17Hz~100 KHz -0.5dB (AMP)
Signal to Noise Ratio:97dB (DAC), 102dB (Amp)
Crosstalk: 93dB (DAC) 98dB (AMP)
Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.006%@1kHz/0dB (DAC) 0.012%@1kHz/0dB (AMP)
Output power:Up to 95mW+95mW into 32Ω
Gain: +3dB/ +10dB (AMP)
Battery Life: 30 Hours Battery Charge Time: 1.5 Hours
External Power supply: 5V DC
Recommended Headphone Impedance: 8~300Ω
Case dimension: 2W x 3.2L x 0.8H (inch) 55W x 79L x 11H (mm)
Weight: 60g or 2.1oz

Sep 8, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #64 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathallo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Digital is digital is digital, no?

Evidently NO as I have bought a new Monster Cable High Speed USB Mini Cable (1.5ft @ $24.99)
and am hearing a difference with it vs. the generic cable that came with the iBasso D-Zero. Hmm!

Bass is definitely deeper & tighter, the midrange is more pristine, sweeter, deeper, and the upper
range is more extended and there's more going on dynamically. The stock cords sounds quite flat
in comparison. Oh yeah. It's getting better as I play it longer.

Sorry. But there is a difference. Try it an see for yourself.

Sep 8, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #65 of 240

Quote:
Here are all the specs from the user's manual. Output impedance as such isn't listed?

Specifications:
Power Source:Built-in 4.2V Li-polymer batteries or USB power supply
Frequency Response: 17Hz~20 KHz +/- 0.5dB (DAC) 17Hz~100 KHz -0.5dB (AMP)
Signal to Noise Ratio:97dB (DAC), 102dB (Amp)
Crosstalk: 93dB (DAC) 98dB (AMP)
Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.006%@1kHz/0dB (DAC) 0.012%@1kHz/0dB (AMP)
Output power:Up to 95mW+95mW into 32Ω
Gain: +3dB/ +10dB (AMP)
Battery Life: 30 Hours Battery Charge Time: 1.5 Hours
External Power supply: 5V DC
Recommended Headphone Impedance: 8~300Ω
Case dimension: 2W x 3.2L x 0.8H (inch) 55W x 79L x 11H (mm)
Weight: 60g or 2.1oz

No offense, I can read their website.  This is not an answer to my question.  You're like the 6th person on Head-fi to link a spec sheet completely unrelated to what I was asking.  Nothing personal and I appreciate the help attempt but it's getting freaking annoying.  Yes, no output impedance listed which is probably the third most important spec for any source or amp.  I'm beginning to think many manufacturers are deliberately concealing this info.

I apologize if that came off a bit gruff.  Just venting.  
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #66 of 240

Quote:
ok this dzero is tempting...... i dont know if I should give up on the T3, someone please compare ahhhhhh. I am so tempted to order this.

I enjoyed the T3 when I had it (gave it to a friend as a gift), if you do not need a DAC then stay with the T3 and use the money to buy music!

Quote:

No offense, I can read their website.  This is not an answer to my question.  You're like the 6th person on Head-fi to link a spec sheet completely unrelated to what I was asking.  Nothing personal and I appreciate the help attempt but it's getting freaking annoying.  Yes, no output impedance listed which is probably the third most important spec for any source or amp.  I'm beginning to think many manufacturers are deliberately concealing this info.

biggrin.gif

I have sent iBasso an email asking for the output impedance of the amp via the 1/8" plug. Hope to hear from them soon.

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #67 of 240
i am pretty sure its placebo.....

Quote:
Evidently NO as I have bought a new Monster Cable High Speed USB Mini Cable (1.5ft @ $24.99)
and am hearing a difference with it vs. the generic cable that came with the iBasso D-Zero. Hmm!

Bass is definitely deeper & tighter, the midrange is more pristine, sweeter, deeper, and the upper
range is more extended and there's more going on dynamically. The stock cords sounds quite flat
in comparison. Oh yeah. It's getting better as I play it longer.

Sorry. But there is a difference. Try it an see for yourself.

Sep 8, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #68 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Uhhh nope. Not placebo I assure you. USB cables effect sound in a *huge* way my friend. I have done many blind tests before with other experienced listeners and full size USB DAC's on a high-end loudspeaker rig and the outcome, at least with experienced listeners, is pretty undeniable and quite repeatable. Only reason I first questioned here with the D-Zero was because I'd never used a Mini USB type cable but technically I shouldn't have doubted this as my experience with USB cables, though goes against logic, dictates as much.

By the way the same goes with coax digital cables out of a high-end transports feeding full size DACs. This is not a matter of "if" it will change the sound, but by how much.

But if so skeptical why not try for it and find out for yourself?

Sep 8, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #69 of 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

biggrin.gif

Hahahaha! LOL  Yeah I was going to say you were being pretty crabby! LOL  Well I am glad "mrarroyo" has got it under control.

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #70 of 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Since reading to assertion I have carrying out blind tests of the two Mini USB cables and I am hearing the difference time and time again (and choosing the Monster as my preference) so this can not possibly be a "placebo effect". The Monster is just more layered, relaxed, smooth and three dimensional.

Sep 9, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #72 of 240
I am not calling you a liar, because I don't have your ears, and maybe I shouldn't be asking this because we shouldn't derail the conversation on the D0, but if the 1's and 0's are getting to the DAC, what's the difference?  You can't hear digital, so the DAC is doing all the work to convey the music to your ears.  What difference does it make what the transport of the 1's and 0's is?

I mean no offence, and my background is extremely limited on sound science, so I will concede that I may be 100% wrong, but it just seems odd that a digital transport over such a short distance would impact sound quality BEFORE the signal is even converted to analog.

Quote:
Since reading to assertion I have carrying out blind tests of the two Mini USB cables and I am hearing the difference time and time again (and choosing the Monster as my preference) so this can not possibly be a "placebo effect". The Monster is just more layered, relaxed, smooth and three dimensional.

Sep 9, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #73 of 240

Quote:
Quote:

Uhhh nope. Not placebo I assure you. USB cables effect sound in a *huge* way my friend. I have done many blind tests before with other experienced listeners and full size USB DAC's on a high-end loudspeaker rig and the outcome, at least with experienced listeners, is pretty undeniable and quite repeatable. Only reason I first questioned here with the D-Zero was because I'd never used a Mini USB type cable but technically I shouldn't have doubted this as my experience with USB cables, though goes against logic, dictates as much.

By the way the same goes with coax digital cables out of a high-end transports feeding full size DACs. This is not a matter of "if" it will change the sound, but by how much.

But if so skeptical why not try for it and find out for yourself?

Congratulations, you have audiophile Golden Ears. I don't think anyone should ever argue with select few that have such ears, because the rest of the population just can't hear what these people can. Unfortunately I don't have golden ears and what's more quite poor vision, so I guess I will get satisfied with cheap knock-off USB cables that come with different equipment and whichever HDMI cable Monoprice has for sale.

Sep 9, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #74 of 240

Quote:
I am not calling you a liar, because I don't have your ears, and maybe I shouldn't be asking this because we shouldn't derail the conversation on the D0, but if the 1's and 0's are getting to the DAC, what's the difference?  You can't hear digital, so the DAC is doing all the work to convey the music to your ears.  What difference does it make what the transport of the 1's and 0's is?

I mean no offence, and my background is extremely limited on sound science, so I will concede that I may be 100% wrong, but it just seems odd that a digital transport over such a short distance would impact sound quality BEFORE the signal is even converted to analog.

Check out the Sound Science forum and you'll see that digital transport isn't quite that simple because of the transfer mode that USB DACs use. It is possible to lose packets and they aren't resent like in a normal data transfer. For the most part you just need a well made cable and EM shielding. Beyond that, whether there is an audible difference and how much you get back into controversy.

Sep 9, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #75 of 240

Quote:
iBasso responded and it is 10 ohms. I do not know what it means from a technical point of view. What I do know is that a large numberr of cans all of different impedance sound GREAT!

That's surprisingly high. 

Output impedance mainly affects the damping factor, though it's also a factor in power transfer.  

In very general terms, you want a relatively high damping factor in order to control the driver and prevent excessive ringing. On the other hand, you don't want to overdamp either. Whatever the magic number is, that's anyone's guess and would be a factor of the particular amp/headphone combo. (though I suppose if one had the proper measuring equipment it could be determined, going purely by graphs and numbers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back