iBasso D-Zero
Sep 4, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #46 of 240
I was being redundant. I meant to say I am interested in how it performs as an amp for a portable device(with out the DAC). I am considering getting a portable amp and LOD for an iPhone4 and ATH-M50. Any suggestions on a LOD? Any one have experience with iBasso's?

Do you mean to include the LOD used? If so my best sounding LOD is one no longer in production, called the Six Shooter by ALO Audio. It uses silver wires and retailed around $75 USD.

Sep 4, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #47 of 240

Why not consider T3 instead? The price difference isn't that great between the two and you are not going to use the DAC on D-ZERO anyway. I haven't listened to D-ZERO yet but I have my doubt it will be better sounding than T3 (and of course I can be wrong at this) since a big part of the money is going to the DAC section.

Quote:
I was being redundant. I meant to say I am interested in how it performs as an amp for a portable device(with out the DAC). I am considering getting a portable amp and LOD for an iPhone4 and ATH-M50. Any suggestions on a LOD? Any one have experience with iBasso's?

Sep 4, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #48 of 240
let me know what you think of it paired with the J3. Because I currently have the T3 with the J3 and dont know if i should make the switch.

Quote:
im going to buy it this weekend, looking at the specs compared to the uha4 it seems to have a better most costly opamp, if only slightly.  I am sure it is just as good, but this one seems more fit for portability and has dimensions set up nicely for use with my J3.   

I'll definitely submit an order for it in the next few days.

Sep 4, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #49 of 240
Ya, I just placed the order for it 5 minutes ago :p

Like I was saying, based just on the specs of the opamps being used, its a match for the UHA4 in some areas and slightly inferior in others, and the UHA4 vice versa for those same attributes.  So, I have full faith its going to be a great little amp and sound just as good if not a little better in some areas than the UHA4.  I will definitely post my initial impressions of it asap.  
I have no idea when it will arrive, the total as $131 including "express shipping"  I have no clue how long that will take to get to me here in ohio from where ever they are.  

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #50 of 240
Yes, that is an option. I am looking for primarily an amp and a DAC would be a bonus(and would see some use w/ my MacBook pro). Currently considering Fiio E6, Fiio E11, iBasso D-zero, iBasso T3, Audinst AMP-HP and JDS Labs to be released amp.

I have read mixed reviews of the E11 with the ATH-M50 so that is a concern. One in particular said the D2 was an upgrade from the E11.

Why not consider T3 instead? The price difference isn't that great between the two and you are not going to use the DAC on D-ZERO anyway. I haven't listened to D-ZERO yet but I have my doubt it will be better sounding than T3 (and of course I can be wrong at this) since a big part of the money is going to the DAC section.

Sep 4, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #51 of 240

Quote:

In my case having the built-in DAC was a reason although I do not expect I will be using it in that capacity but 25% of the time. But I said to myself, why not if I'm going to spend around $100? I didn't expect/nor want a DAC at around $60 when I was considering the FIIO E11 but a smidgen over $100, sure. I"ll take it.

Second reason is looks. I actually prefer the D-Zero's more utilitarian/studio look. The T3 is too pretty looking for me and it also looks more fragile. Like it will get scratched more easily and I am not into that.

Anyway "mrarroyo" stated his unit got in his hands in just two days but with Monday being a holiday I don't expect to get it until Tuesday perhaps and hopefully the LOD ZyCable by Wednesday so I can start burning it in and giving my first impressions. Main IEMs I will be listening with the D-Zero are: Shure SE-530, Monster Miles Davis Trumpet, Klipsch Image X10 & Grado iGi (this last one is so surprising after break-in wow! Such bang for the buck!)

Sep 4, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #52 of 240

Quote:
Ya, I just placed the order for it 5 minutes ago :p

I have no idea when it will arrive, the total as $131 including "express shipping"  I have no clue how long that will take to get to me here in ohio from where ever they are.  

I live in Miami Beach, Florida and it took less than 3 days to arrive from China. Like you I ordered on a weekend, so very fast S&H. Hope you enjoy yours, I sure am enjoying mine.

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #53 of 240

Quote:
I live in Miami Beach, Florida and it took less than 3 days to arrive from China. Like you I ordered on a weekend, so very fast S&H. Hope you enjoy yours, I sure am enjoying mine.

Yup it looks like mine might arrive tomorrow and it only left China yesterday, Sept. 5th! Wow how's that for service! I've just tracked it and it's has already been scanned in Kentucky. I should have it tomorrow, I think.

Sep 7, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #55 of 240
Really want a D-zero and a cb07 right now, too bad they only accept paypal, don't have it yet 
triportsad.gif

Sep 7, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #56 of 240
Just got mine in and I thought I'd post some initial impressions.

First thing is that the thing is absolutely tiny. Even after seeing pictures when I pulled it out of the box I was absolutely surprised. It's the same width as a credit card but slightly shorter, and it's not very thick either. Build quality is pretty good. It's small and there are only a few switches, but they're all solid.

As for the reason I purchased one I'm already 100% satisfied. The sound quality out of my laptop is horrible, there is a channel imbalance and everything sounds hollow. This fixes that out of the gate without even burning it in. Everything sounds much better with both my IEMs and Senn HD25s. So the sound quality is decent so far. I'll try to isolate the DAC and amp sections to see how they fare, but for now I've started some burn-in. 

I don't know how they fare against some other budget amps, but if you're looking for a budget dac/amp to fix a known issue with your setup then it's hard to go wrong for the price.

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #57 of 240

[size=medium]
[size=medium]
Howdy folks! So it's finally hereeeeee! 
normal_smile .gif

It was shipped two days ago (on the 5th) and received the unit today! Wow.

Fit and finish is amazing! Much tinier than expected and that's a-ok with me! So far it sounds quite good driving my new Grado iGi's beautifully in both Lo and Hi settings off the iPhone 4 and my MacBook (feeding the headphone out) running Pandora. Since I like feeling the music and having reserve power on demand I am leaving it on "Hi" gain at the moment and it's offering gobs of gain. I like that. I haven't even began to test the DAC yet but I guess I should. Duh! (gotta go grab that USB cable that came with it...)

Newsflash! Got the USB cable and am currently running Pandora through the DAC and it sounds VERY different. It clearly now needs to run as a DAC and burn it in that capacity. I have been running it strictly as a headphone amp for the last two hours now so the DAC has a late start. Starting to open up as I write this so it's all good. Also using generic USB cable that came with the unit and need to source out a higher quality cable with USB mini. Are they available and which one would you recommend?

Well just first impressions and mostly wanted to post the photos. More to come after I log in way more hours. But quite good so far. At some point I should try some of my higher-end IEMs (such as Monster Miles Davis Trumpet and Shure SE-530) and some of my full size cans to see how well it drives those.

Enjoy the photos!

[/size]

[/size]

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #58 of 240
ok this dzero is tempting...... i dont know if I should give up on the T3, someone please compare ahhhhhh. I am so tempted to order this.

Sep 8, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #59 of 240

Quote:

[size=medium]
[size=medium]
Also using generic USB cable that came with the unit and need to source out a higher quality cable with USB mini. Are they available and which one would you recommend?
[/size]

[/size]

I was wondering what are you trying to achieve with a more expensive USB cable? I'm pretty sure that like with HDMI, USB cable either has a connection or not. It does not matter what cable you use and definitely will not degrade any sound quality. It is like an external harddrive: do you expect your files to be better stored on HDD if you were to use gold plated cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back