I want to try Grado SR-80i but...
Oct 19, 2011 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Paralytic

New Head-Fier
So I'm not an audiophile...yet. As I haven't tried "high-end" phones much, I only use Generic ones. I've tried Studio Beats though, and I like the bass but it got ****ty reviews here so I was opting for Grado SR-60i because people said it was good for starters but I've changed my mind, I want Grado SR-80i because they say it had a higher bass but the thing is, they say Grados don't have much bass to begin with.

I listen primarily to Pop and Rock / Metal / Post-Hardcore / Metalcore.
What do you think? Any suggestions? I don't want to spend too much though.

Oct 19, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 10
Great bass impact from the SR80i, they just won't extend in the bass like the M50 or the Denon 1001.

I don't think it matters, the kick drum still hits hard and the guitar work on the Grado makes the others
looks positively shabby in comparison.

Oct 19, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #4 of 10
If you listen to music with bass produced by instruments and it's natural and not EQ'ed to death, Grados deliver some very good bass... 

If you listen to heavily synthesized poop sounds, then they sound really lifeless and boring.... yes it's sad but I cater my music towards my headphones and thats how I've managed to expand my genres of music that I listen to as well as learn more about music in general :)

To any Grado owners out there, just watch Benny Greb videos on Youtube if you disagree haha

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #5 of 10
 For your genres, Grados would be outstanding. I've got a pair of SR-125is, and nothing yet has beaten them in hte rock and ( I don't really listen to that much) metal department.

Trust me, you have no idea how much you missed with beats.

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
So I'm not an audiophile...yet. As I haven't tried "high-end" phones much, I only use Generic ones. I've tried Studio Beats though, and I like the bass but it got ****ty reviews here so I was opting for Grado SR-60i because people said it was good for starters but I've changed my mind, I want Grado SR-80i because they say it had a higher bass but the thing is, they say Grados don't have much bass to begin with.

I listen primarily to Pop and Rock / Metal / Post-Hardcore / Metalcore.
What do you think? Any suggestions? I don't want to spend too much though.

Heya,

The SR60i with L-cush pads had plenty enough bass for me for that sort of music, and I'm a crazy bass head. So I'm sure for someone not needing a skull rattle, it would be great. The SR60 really is the best value for the money when it comes to the Grado line. I bought the higher model(s) and found very little true difference that was perceivable, and of that difference, none of it seemed worth a few extra hundred over the SR60's initial price. The only "upgrade" I found that offered an advantage for the money was the L-cush pads which definitely made the SR60i a whole new headphone (it's stock pads are absolute rubbish, I cannot believe they ship with those).

But if you're worried about it, other headphones to consider:

Fischer Audio FA-011
Beyer DT990 PRO
Panasonic RP-HTF600

Very best,

Oct 21, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
If you listen to music with bass produced by instruments and it's natural and not EQ'ed to death, Grados deliver some very good bass... 

If you listen to heavily synthesized poop sounds, then they sound really lifeless and boring.... yes it's sad but I cater my music towards my headphones and thats how I've managed to expand my genres of music that I listen to as well as learn more about music in general :)

To any Grado owners out there, just watch Benny Greb videos on Youtube if you disagree haha

But thing is, I also listen to Pop, Hip Hop and Rap. I like the synsthesized poop sounds. D:
What other phones could I get that is good for BOTH rock/metal/heavy and pop/hip hop/rap for pretty much the same price range? As I don't want to risk spending too much and regretting it later on.

Oct 21, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
But thing is, I also listen to Pop, Hip Hop and Rap. I like the synsthesized poop sounds. D:What other phones could I get that is good for BOTH rock/metal/heavy and pop/hip hop/rap for pretty much the same price range? As I don't want to risk spending too much and regretting it later on.

Welcome to headphone compromise.

Very few if any headphones can 'rock out' and 'boom like you're in da club' - you have to choose.

Excellent for rock highs but a little feeble and less extended on bass or excellent for club tunes
but recessed and a little dull lacking attack for rock.

If such a headphone existed, and some will claim they do, then not many people on here would
own 4 or more headphones.

Oct 21, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
But thing is, I also listen to Pop, Hip Hop and Rap. I like the synsthesized poop sounds. D:What other phones could I get that is good for BOTH rock/metal/heavy and pop/hip hop/rap for pretty much the same price range? As I don't want to risk spending too much and regretting it later on.

They're good for those too, if you prefer quality over quantity, any high end headphone will do the job quite honestly... it's just that some prefer the quantity approach, both are completely fine, just as long as they ain't Beats

I don't even have a favorite, I just like Grados because they're cheap to run to be honest... yes everybody you heard it, thats the only reason I like them. I LOVE all headphones in general!

Oct 28, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
But thing is, I also listen to Pop, Hip Hop and Rap. I like the synsthesized poop sounds. D:
What other phones could I get that is good for BOTH rock/metal/heavy and pop/hip hop/rap for pretty much the same price range? As I don't want to risk spending too much and regretting it later on.

After careful consideration. I am pretty sure you are a Porta Pro guy 
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back