I want to have a baby! Anyone help? (Reps please read)
Apr 21, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #16 of 97

Quote:

I don't know if you will be able to add drivers to the R-50 however.

I shot Unique Melody an email asking what can and can't be done so I'll find out what they say.  If they can add driver to the TF10 why not anything else its the same thing, I just would like an extra bass driver.

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #17 of 97

Quote:

I shot Unique Melody an email asking what can and can't be done so I'll find out what they say.  If they can add driver to the TF10 why not anything else its the same thing, I just would like an extra bass driver.

True, though their list of IEMs that drivers can be added is really limited. 

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #18 of 97

Quote:

True, audio engineers have to tune the drivers when they put it in to ensure they sound synchronized. 

I have a feeling you might be dramatically over-simplifying what it means to "tune the drivers".

Apr 22, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #20 of 97

Quote:

I was just summarizing it, I don't have to say the whole process out just to agree with you, do I? 

Well, for this thread...

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #21 of 97

I think this is a common misunderstanding. People often think that audio engineers just glue in some drivers--the more drivers they glue in, the better the sound!

That's not how it works.

Also, the soundstage won't be great.

Maybe read up on the topic a bit?
[/quote]

You have misunderstood, Jeremypsp totally gets it! Thanks you lol

The engineers would obviously have to tweak each driver to a different frequency responce, like dynamics for deeply extended rumbling bass and armatures for crisp highs and mids. The soundstage would also have to be worked on carefully but top engineers know what they are doing, nobody wants it cluttered.

But just imagine a UM Miracle and Melody stitched together properly into one, with Starkey SA-43 switches :p now that'd be a beast of a headphone!

Oh and is UM US division based in China or can the guy not speak English very well O.o?

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #22 of 97

Quote:
I think this is a common misunderstanding. People often think that audio engineers just glue in some drivers--the more drivers they glue in, the better the sound!  

That's not how it works.

Also, the soundstage won't be great.

Maybe read up on the topic a bit?
You have misunderstood, Jeremypsp totally gets it! Thanks you lol
The engineers would obviously have to tweak each driver to a different frequency responce, like dynamics for deeply extended rumbling bass and armatures for crisp highs and mids. The soundstage would also have to be worked on carefully but top engineers know what they are doing, nobody wants it cluttered.
But just imagine a UM Miracle and Melody stitched together properly into one, with Starkey SA-43 switches :p now that'd be a beast of a headphone!
Oh and is UM US division based in China or can the guy not speak English very well O.o?[/quote]

Hmm, but if you want to use a dynamic driver, it will be safer to use an IE8/IE80 driver, since they are better and tuning and handling that. It's the only dynamic driver they are able to tune and add drivers to it apart from the Super.Fi 5 pro EB, after all. 

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #25 of 97

Quote:
Wouldn't it be nice to have an IE8/80's dynamic driver for bass, 3 drivers for highs and another 3 drivers of mids from the miracle? (LOL) 

No idea if anyone tried the IE8/80 reshell and upgrade... but I vaguely remember UM saying it isn't a great idea because the vent needs to be very precise (both size and placement) to have good sound...

and yes.. the there is only one UM workshop and it's in China.. but Stephen Guo speaks (at least type) fluent english.

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #27 of 97

Quote:
I was planning to try IE80 upgrade, but right now I am still waiting for the answer whether they can do the IE8 reshell and upgrade with IE80 or not.

popcorn.gif
wow you are actually going to do it? If it is possible plz tell us how they sound! I've been very curious about the result since the choice was avaibale.

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #28 of 97
Well I got an email back from UM and they can't add drivers to my TWFK and just for fun I also ask if they could put my TWFK and MG7 driver together with a frequency tune and no go there as well.  I'll just get my TF10 re-shelled with either the 4 or 6 driver upgrade.

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #29 of 97
Wouldn't it be nice to have an IE8/80's dynamic driver for bass, 3 drivers for highs and another 3 drivers of mids from the miracle? (LOL) 

Lol that does sound pretty awesome but maybe a bit excessive.

I contacted UM to ask about getting a demo Merlin before i buy, but he said they weren't fit for purpose lol - guess only way to find out is to buy and wait 2-3 months!

Might buy the IE80 and add it to the miracle or Starky SA-43 (need a Norway contact lol), would be worried about mid-bass hump of IE8 corrupting everything else...

And aren't Rooth and UM the same company in the same building?

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #30 of 97

Quote:
I was planning to try IE80 upgrade, but right now I am still waiting for the answer whether they can do the IE8 reshell and upgrade with IE80 or not.

popcorn.gif
wow you are actually going to do it? If it is possible plz tell us how they sound! I've been very curious about the result since the choice was avaibale.

If I can wait long enough (fingers crossed) then i may get to read your review before my next purchase lol

Lee over at Minivera may be interested, customer service is excellent and turnaround is a week or two, plus they strive to get the best sound from turning universals into customs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back