I truly believe these are one of the best Classical Music headphones I've ever heard
Jan 25, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #391 of 406
 Are your ears tuned for piano and violin? Do you think its very accurate? To me violins sounds really good and accurate. But piano im not sure. I don't have musician's ears/ so would be nice to know if you were knowledgeable about timbers on these instruments.

Yes, I've been playing piano for over 40 years and so far (about a dozen hours listening) I think it's quite accurate in the reproduction of piano timbre. Obviously, you're not going to have as impressively broad a soundstage from a solo instrument as from a large ensemble, but the 660s sound quite realistic in their reproduction of piano.

I'll be careful not to fold them up!

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #392 of 406
  Yes, I've been playing piano for over 40 years and so far (about a dozen hours listening) I think it's quite accurate in the reproduction of piano timbre. Obviously, you're not going to have as impressively broad a soundstage from a solo instrument as from a large ensemble, but the 660s sound quite realistic in their reproduction of piano.

I'll be careful not to fold them up!

that's helpful thanks.

I really enjoy this for classical music from other regions of the world like Indian, Chinese, African etc with all their unique instruments, and to me anyway, they seem quite realistic and accurate. For a headphone anyway.

The piano bit, i've heard some conflicting opinions, but your experience obv holds some weight.
happy_face1.gif

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #393 of 406
I'm sure most headphones with a balanced sound (close to or as good as DT660 or better) will do justice to acoustic piano.  On the other hand, not all pianos have the exact same timbre, a Steinway will sound noticeably different from, say, a Yamaha, and not everyone's ears are the same, so some people may certainly feel DT660 sounds a little unrealistic.

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #394 of 406
  I'm sure most headphones with a balanced sound (close to or as good as DT660 or better) will do justice to acoustic piano.  On the other hand, not all pianos have the exact same timbre, a Steinway will sound noticeably different from, say, a Yamaha, and not everyone's ears are the same, so some people may certainly feel DT660 sounds a little unrealistic.

That is a good point! Many non musicians like myself wouldn't pay attention to that, but now I will.

I enjoy violin on these, its sharp but not painful, but its close. I did pay attention to the differences for this instrument. Also sitar sounds best compared to some of my other open cans.

Any thoughts from musicians?

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #395 of 406

While I am a big fan of the DT660 for string instruments, I usually prefer to listen to piano on my AKG K612 which has a deeper but still natural sounding bass, without which the lower register of a piano lacks realism. A superbly recorded album which I often enjoy is Yukie Nagai playing Debussy on the Bis label. Most of Claudio Arrau's Philips recordings sound wonderful too. As an all-rounder headphone I find the K612 takes some beating, although I would never part with my DT 660

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #396 of 406
While I am a big fan of the DT660 for string instruments, I usually prefer to listen to piano on my AKG K612 which has a deeper but still natural sounding bass, without which the lower register of a piano lacks realism. A superbly recorded album which I often enjoy is Yukie Nagai playing Debussy on the Bis label. Most of Claudio Arrau's Philips recordings sound wonderful too. As an all-rounder headphone I find the K612 takes some beating, although I would never part with my DT 660

How are you powering them im curious?

Though 32 ohm and portable, they change a lot with a little juice, especially in bass region.

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #397 of 406
How are you powering them im curious?

Though 32 ohm and portable, they change a lot with a little juice, especially in bass region.

To be honest I usually play them straight from the headphone socket of my iPod classic, which of course I would never be able to do with the K612. I really must try the DT660 with my little Topping Nx-1, if that augments the bass response. Thanks for the tip!

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #398 of 406
FYI, I just picked these up on eBay for $65 shipped with code CJANUARY15OFF.

Thanks for this thread, wouldn't have found them otherwise.  Super excited now!

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #400 of 406
Shockingly low price.

Just wait for that headband cushion to settle.

It's firm out of box :p

Ha, definitely wasn't planning to purchase, but I couldn't say no after reading this thread.  Definitely will give my impressions after a bit of listening!  Any ways to get the headband to chill out more quickly?

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #401 of 406
Ha, definitely wasn't planning to purchase, but I couldn't say no after reading this thread.  Definitely will give my impressions after a bit of listening!  Any ways to get the headband to chill out more quickly?

I spent time with them like a new baseball mitt. Squished the headband with thumb s over and over. Also earpads at first like the 770 take time to break in though can be accelerated with hand magic.

Using hairdryer on headband accelerates the break in but I don't recommend to those who have never broken in a baseball mitt or goalie glove for hockey :D

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #403 of 406
  I didn't have any issue with the headband on my new DT660. They're fine out of the box as far as I'm concerned.

Like new shoes, a little break in does help

out of box that foam headband is like a brick and hurts top of head until it contours

surely, the contour results in greater comfort

ditto for earpads, the contour results in better seal/comfort

they turn out to be quite comfy down the road, i was pleasantly surprised

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #405 of 406
Sorry I am a bit late on this post but just joined.
Have you heard any cd's by TACET, a German company? I have 4 TACETs of the Auryn Quartet playing
Haydn string quartets: OP 1,2, 9 and 33.
The recording quality and Auryn's musicianship are excellent.
All of the cd's I have were engineered by the same person in the same place using the same equipment.
As a plus, the notes are highly informative.
I am confident you and your wife will not be disappointed.
I just acquired a Beyer DT660 and a Panasonic SL CT710 portable player and am very pleased with
the sound quality and value of this combination.
Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back