I truly believe these are one of the best Classical Music headphones I've ever heard
Jan 10, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #376 of 406
ebay, while supplies last :p

and yeah they looks kinda crappy but sound amazing

79$ bones get it get it get it
happy_face1.gif

that horrible headband thing, again, softens up

the first time it dug into my skull i couldn't believe how heavy it felt and the pressure on one spot

but it does settle

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #377 of 406
No need to apologise! I remember David Maher commenting on how very detailed the 660 seemed at first. Like you, I would go further and claim that they still sound very detailed after a couple of years! The bass does grow over time, but it is still bass- light. Great for string quartets, string orchestral music etc.For classical orchestral, solo piano, cello etc I prefer my K612. In my opinion the K612 are currently the best bang for the buck quality headphones out there. Very detailed, fairly flat, similar to K702 but not sterile or with a diffuse soundstage, but with really solid bass, which goes very deep and rumbles beautifully if it's in the recording. Many experienced head-fi, for instance Brooko, have said that K612 comes quite close to the HD600, but with a wider soundstage and a bit less refinement and warmth. Well worth a listen, and don't be put off by claims that they are very hard to drive. They do need amplification, but I find that my little Topping Nx-1 on high gain combines well with them

i will read up on these models thanks
still learning and so many out there with positive reviews
plus how people defend their beloved models to the
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
DEATH
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #378 of 406
  How does the DT660 compare to the Oppo PM-3, which is my main go-to for closed-back headphones for classical music? I'm assuming at 1/3 of the price it's not quite as good, but I'm interested in hearing opinions.

Yeah, not quite as good, as you guessed, and the Oppo has a better, more neutral-like balance and none of DT660's brightness.  I don't remember if the bass is as good as DT660's, it was a friend's headphone that I heard.  Definitely DT660 has better acoustic dampening as PM-3 sounded underdampened to me.  PM-3's cup reverb will mar detail to a degree, while DT660 will let you hear everything in a classical piece without trouble, if with a little less microdetail.  PM-3 has the edge in separation, if I recall correctly, and for sure it is more comfortable.  DT660 isolates just as much or more; I do not remember how well PM-3 does there.
You'll probably have to find out for yourself which one ends up a bit better (or more to your taste) for classical.

No need to apologise! I remember David Maher commenting on how very detailed the 660 seemed at first. Like you, I would go further and claim that they still sound very detailed after a couple of years! The bass does grow over time, but it is still bass- light. Great for string quartets, string orchestral music etc.For classical orchestral, solo piano, cello etc I prefer my K612. In my opinion the K612 are currently the best bang for the buck quality headphones out there. Very detailed, fairly flat, similar to K702 but not sterile or with a diffuse soundstage, but with really solid bass, which goes very deep and rumbles beautifully if it's in the recording. Many experienced head-fi, for instance Brooko, have said that K612 comes quite close to the HD600, but with a wider soundstage and a bit less refinement and warmth. Well worth a listen, and don't be put off by claims that they are very hard to drive. They do need amplification, but I find that my little Topping Nx-1 on high gain combines well with them

I had K601 in the past.  Damn good headphone indeed, one of the best bargains around for a great headphone.  Hard to drive for a smartphone, sure, but most amps should do it justice.
It doesn't beat SRH840, HD598, and HD558 (and HD6x0 and HD700) at delivering more natural-sounding vocals and acoustic instruments.
Definitely right on HD600's heels in overall sound quality.

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #379 of 406

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #380 of 406
Well, I found a new DT660 for $46 shipped, so at that price if I don't like it I should be able to flip it for no loss so I'll see how it stacks up myself. What's with these crazy low prices? Did they not sell as many over the holidays as they expected to?

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #382 of 406
Well, I found a new DT660 for $46 shipped, so at that price if I don't like it I should be able to flip it for no loss so I'll see how it stacks up myself. What's with these crazy low prices? Did they not sell as many over the holidays as they expected to?

Where?

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #383 of 406

That is insane! Takes some time for that headband cushion to settle, and it is quite comfy.

I think they are a keeper if you use it for the right stuff and not like edm/hiphop genres.

There are enough on ebay, so there is still supply. at 79, its a bargain let alone 46!

Jan 21, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #384 of 406
It looks like these are discontinued... The reviews are so low, Beyerdynamic might have decided to ditch them. It's a good lesson learned for them. You can't create a headphone with horrible build quality and hope to sell it in the above $100 market. The 660 look and feel like $20 headphones thrown around public library computer desks.

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #385 of 406
  It looks like these are discontinued... The reviews are so low, Beyerdynamic might have decided to ditch them. It's a good lesson learned for them. You can't create a headphone with horrible build quality and hope to sell it in the above $100 market. The 660 look and feel like $20 headphones thrown around public library computer desks.

They are not that fragile :p I was worried initially about that.

Though in saying that, i feel its better i don't make them compact aka fold them up, and just let them be like their other beyer brothers.

I think the ones that snapped people were constantly folding up/unfolding.

I dont know what Beyer was thinking with the plastic yolks though. But then again, these look like something they outsourced from the place Ultrasone goes to.

With care, i would think a few years is reasonable, and headband could be changed to the metal ones, or possibly another ultrasone one, with better headband.

Jan 24, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #386 of 406

This is totally opposite my experience with the 660s - the pairs I've tried have felt well-built and looked great.

Where is it they had so many bad reviews? They have only 4 and 5 star reviews here on head-fi...

Jan 24, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #387 of 406
Fresh out of the box, I tried them with piano (Liszt Transcendental Etudes) and now strings (Khachaturian Violin Concerto) and they do sound very nice indeed. A wide open soundstage that rivals the PM-3s, and very smooth without any noticeable high or low areas. I think I will put together a little classical music shootout of all the price/performance headphones I've accumulated lately and see if I can make any decision about which ones are keepers after listening to them A/B/C/D/E (DT 660, HE-350 (Massdrop), HE-400S, AKG 7XX (Massdrop) and the PM-3).  But these cheap lil guys certainly have a place at the table.They all have their pluses (yes, even the much-maligned HE-350 from Massdrop) so I'll be interested in seeing what a direct comparison sounds like. Now to prepare a new playlist of sound check files....

EDIT: I've been listening to these for the last four hours now and really am enjoying them. Shostakovich 5th symphony on Mercury Living Presence is just stunning through these headphones. And obviously, not very fatiguing since I'm ready for more.

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #388 of 406

This is totally opposite my experience with the 660s - the pairs I've tried have felt well-built and looked great.

Where is it they had so many bad reviews? They have only 4 and 5 star reviews here on head-fi...

Depends on where you go on the internet.  But he was exaggerating.

Also, note Beyer's been selling DT660 for 13-14 years or so.  Oldie but goodie, haha.

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #389 of 406

Is there any other Beyerdynamic product that has an Amazon rating as low the DT 660? I'd love to know.

What's really concerning is that most of those low ratings are due to what seems to be a defect with this headphone. People say it predictably breaks at pretty much the same spot on the headband. They share pictures and describe the same issue. If only these had the 770/880/990 build quality!

Some of you must have had a better experience with your pairs, obviously. Might wanna be more careful with it if you want to hang on to them.

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #390 of 406
  Fresh out of the box, I tried them with piano (Liszt Transcendental Etudes) and now strings (Khachaturian Violin Concerto) and they do sound very nice indeed. A wide open soundstage that rivals the PM-3s, and very smooth without any noticeable high or low areas. I think I will put together a little classical music shootout of all the price/performance headphones I've accumulated lately and see if I can make any decision about which ones are keepers after listening to them A/B/C/D/E (DT 660, HE-350 (Massdrop), HE-400S, AKG 7XX (Massdrop) and the PM-3).  But these cheap lil guys certainly have a place at the table.They all have their pluses (yes, even the much-maligned HE-350 from Massdrop) so I'll be interested in seeing what a direct comparison sounds like. Now to prepare a new playlist of sound check files....

EDIT: I've been listening to these for the last four hours now and really am enjoying them. Shostakovich 5th symphony on Mercury Living Presence is just stunning through these headphones. And obviously, not very fatiguing since I'm ready for more.

Are your ears tuned for piano and violin? Do you think its very accurate? To me violins sounds really good and accurate. But piano im not sure. I don't have musician's ears/ so would be nice to know if you were knowledgeable about timbers on these instruments.

Is there any other Beyerdynamic product that has an Amazon rating as low the DT 660? I'd love to know.

What's really concerning is that most of those low ratings are due to what seems to be a defect with this headphone. People say it predictably breaks at pretty much the same spot on the headband. They share pictures and describe the same issue. If only these had the 770/880/990 build quality!

Some of you must have had a better experience with your pairs, obviously. Might wanna be more careful with it if you want to hang on to them.

I think its fine you're balancing the opinions with its flaws.

Like I said, if you get em, they will last longer if you don't fold them up. The other beyers dont fold up anyway

The defect seems to be that plastic folding mechanism bearing or whatever you want to call it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back