I truly believe these are one of the best Classical Music headphones I've ever heard
Mar 9, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #333 of 406
Depends; what's your current source?

Quote:
  Hi, these are my first headphones that I buy and I'm satisfied. I listen principly classical music. Would bying a dac and an amp improve significatly the listening experience? Any suggestions? 

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #334 of 406

I listen music on my laptop. I'm thinking of buying a Fiio E10K, do you think it's a good option? I live in Switzerland and I can't find Schiit or O2 and bying those from USA or UK would cost me too much due to the taxes. The E10K costs 100 chf, how much more should I spend to have a significantly better listening experience?

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #335 of 406
Well I'm limited in what I can say about FiiO, because they are one of my company's competitors in certain products and I'm not allowed to give subjective impressions of their products, but I don't imagine Currawong will decapitate me if I estimated the E18 as a suitable solution. I'd also look into the HRT Microstreamer and, if you have a little more to spend, the iFi iDSD Micro.

Quote:
  I listen music on my laptop. I'm thinking of buying a Fiio E10K, do you think it's a good option? I live in Switzerland and I can't find Schiit or O2 and bying those from USA or UK would cost me too much due to the taxes. The E10K costs 100 chf, how much more should I spend to have a significantly better listening experience?

Mar 9, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #337 of 406
Personally I own a Microstreamer and it does everything I would expect for the size and price. I haven't heard the iDSD Nano myself, but I've read good things and spoke with one owner in person who was very satisfied. Price and all impressions I've read seem to indicate that they are all 3 in the same ballpark from a technical standpoint, with the biggest differences being features, functionality, and sound signature.

Here are some threads with more info, both by reviewers whose opinions I personally trust and have influenced my own buying decisions in the past:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/647693/sonic-satori-hrt-levels-the-field-with-the-microstreamer
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685414/preview-fiio-e18-kunlun-surprise-surprise
http://www.head-fi.org/t/683406/ifi-audio-nano-idsd-discussion-impression

Quote:
  Thank you! iFi iDSD Micro is too much for me now, but the E18, the iFi Nano iDSD and the HRT Microstreamer cost almost the same. Can you briefly explain me what are the differences or they are almost the same? What's your preference in this price range?

Mar 10, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #339 of 406
I bought a pair of these DT660s at a good price from an *£$%"&"! marketplace seller, the last pair they had, saving £70 on the "Prime" price.
I vaguely recall having read somewhere that these are like a closed-back HD650 but would disagree strongly - they are not dark, neither are they in any way veiled or powerfully bassy - to my admittedly imperfect ears they sound more like a closed-back K702, but far more "human"! 
The soundstage is excellent for a closed-back design, in fact it matches many open-back designs!
The remarks about the bass being light are very true - the only time the bass sounds "normal" is when I play CDs through the headphones socket of my integrated amp; through the iPod Classic or Sony MP3 player, with or without the Topping NX1 or FiiO E06, the bass is very light.
This is in my opinion a question of relative sounds; the whole sound picture is very light, bright and airy, so the brain adjusts to the light bass as sounding relatively normal in relation to the treble and mids
My other two HPs, the HD598 and Sony MA900, both have forward mids, like many popular HPs, so I was pleased to hear the neutral midrange (ruler flat on the FR graph) sounding very accurate and "right" in terms of what one would hear at a concert - I had been dreading a DT990-type recessed midrange!!
Overall, I find these cans fun, absorbing and tonally accurate (shame the bass isn't a bit more present), certainly more so than the K702s I auditioned recently which left me completely cold.
David Maher wrote in his flagship review that on first and second hearing he found the 660s very detailed - I still do after listening to them for two weeks solid, and the dynamic range is stunning
I listen to most genres of classical and quite a lot of jazz (Miles, Monk, Mingus, MJQ) and find these cans ideal
My advice - buy at a good price (mine were only £89) before these disappear completely!

Mar 10, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #340 of 406
  I bought a pair of these DT660s at a good price from an *£$%"&"! marketplace seller, the last pair they had, saving £70 on the "Prime" price.
I vaguely recall having read somewhere that these are like a closed-back HD650 but would disagree strongly - they are not dark, neither are they in any way veiled or powerfully bassy - to my admittedly imperfect ears they sound more like a closed-back K702, but far more "human"! 
The soundstage is excellent for a closed-back design, in fact it matches many open-back designs!
The remarks about the bass being light are very true - the only time the bass sounds "normal" is when I play CDs through the headphones socket of my integrated amp; through the iPod Classic or Sony MP3 player, with or without the Topping NX1 or FiiO E06, the bass is very light.
This is in my opinion a question of relative sounds; the whole sound picture is very light, bright and airy, so the brain adjusts to the light bass as sounding relatively normal in relation to the treble and mids
My other two HPs, the HD598 and Sony MA900, both have forward mids, like many popular HPs, so I was pleased to hear the neutral midrange (ruler flat on the FR graph) sounding very accurate and "right" in terms of what one would hear at a concert - I had been dreading a DT990-type recessed midrange!!
Overall, I find these cans fun, absorbing and tonally accurate (shame the bass isn't a bit more present), certainly more so than the K702s I auditioned recently which left me completely cold.
David Maher wrote in his flagship review that on first and second hearing he found the 660s very detailed - I still do after listening to them for two weeks solid, and the dynamic range is stunning
I listen to most genres of classical and quite a lot of jazz (Miles, Monk, Mingus, MJQ) and find these cans ideal
My advice - buy at a good price (mine were only £89) before these disappear completely!

Congrats, I've been enjoying mine as well...much more than I thought I would, I found mine for $80 and took a flyer on them not knowing I would be using them as much as I have been. I agree with your assessment about the K702, I find they do have some things in common but like you said aren't as "cold" sounding and overall offer a more engaging listen for me...but keep in mind I haven't heard the K702s for awhile and the ones I did hear were the early versions, from what I understand the newer K702s sound more like the Q701s now which are said to be slightly warmer sounding.

I just picked up a pair of Audio-Technica AD900s (non x) and can't wait to see how they compare. Even if the AD900s are better the DT660s will still have a place for me as my closed back classical music cans.

Mar 10, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #341 of 406

Congrats, I've been enjoying mine as well...much more than I thought I would, I found mine for $80 and took a flyer on them not knowing I would be using them as much as I have been. I agree with your assessment about the K702, I find they do have some things in common but like you said aren't as "cold" sounding and overall offer a more engaging listen for me...but keep in mind I haven't heard the K702s for awhile and the ones I did hear were the early versions, from what I understand the newer K702s sound more like the Q701s now which are said to be slightly warmer sounding.

I just picked up a pair of Audio-Technica AD900s (non x) and can't wait to see how they compare. Even if the AD900s are better the DT660s will still have a place for me as my closed back classical music cans.

Thanks for your supportive post! I was considering the AD900x a few weeks ago but thought I might be duplicating the sound of my two open-backs (HD598 and Sony MA900) so I went for the closed-back DT660 instead. From what I have read you should be in for a treat,especially if you like detail and soundstage (in fact the reviews of these lead me to believe that they might be like an open-back version of the DT660!
Please let me know how you get on

Mar 13, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #342 of 406
Hey guys,

I've had a hard time trying to get these at a good price. Right now the only option I have is in Amazon at $140. Do you know any other store with a more competitive price?

Thanks!

Aug 20, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #345 of 406
The straw broke the camel's back last night - can't a guy listen to some Wagner on his HD600 without his wife complaining about the "screeching noises that sound like a pig is being skewered alive" leaking out?

Time for some closed cans for the classical music.  For under $80 these seem like a steal, even if David's review seems a tad hyperbolic.  Waiting for the mailman now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back