I truly believe these are one of the best Classical Music headphones I've ever heard
Dec 22, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #287 of 406
  Just how bright is DT660? For example, I have 990 Pro and simply can't stand the harshness that seems to be the result of its bright signature. With this in mind, is it possible that I will be OK with the 660? I only listen to classical music, and I have absolutely no way of auditioning them before buying, so I have to rely on the good people here to give me some prospective. 

I was hesitant to reply because I don't have a vast experience with headphones. In my opinion, they are slightly bright. They rarely feel aggressive to me. If I listen to music with lots of highs, like organ music, for 30-45 min I tend to feel fatigued. If I listen to music with more mids, like orchestral music, I tend to get fatigued after an hour or maybe a little more time. It is noticeable, but not aggressive in my opinion. I can't listen to them for very long periods of time if it is "bright music."

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #288 of 406
  I was hesitant to reply because I don't have a vast experience with headphones. In my opinion, they are slightly bright. They rarely feel aggressive to me. If I listen to music with lots of highs, like organ music, for 30-45 min I tend to feel fatigued. If I listen to music with more mids, like orchestral music, I tend to get fatigued after an hour or maybe a little more time. It is noticeable, but not aggressive in my opinion. I can't listen to them for very long periods of time if it is "bright music."

Thank for replying. Now, that's a big problem, since most symphonies are actually over 30 minutes, so are a great number of classical pieces. This means one should expect fatigue from these headphones pretty much with each long use.

Looks like I need to search elsewhere for a warm closed heaphone that is as good with classical music. Such a shame! I was fascinated by DavidMaher's comment that, for classical, these are "on par" with the T1. What a great way to enjoy music to the fullest and still save a grand not buying something like the T1!

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #289 of 406

I like the DT660 just fine.  Yes, they are a little bit like my Grados on the top end but that's O.K. with me.  Maybe Sennheiser makes a closed you could tolerate.

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #290 of 406

Maybe Sennheiser makes a closed you could tolerate.

They do. It's called the Momentum but it is shamelessly advertised as an over-ear headphone, whereas your ears will feel like their in a death trap (that's if you're lucky enough to fit them inside).

Such a shame too! They're dark and can be used without an amp, which is a requirement I have for my future closed pair. Some people have mentioned they're like the closed version of HD650. 

If the DT660s were dark and not bright, I'd be partying like Charlie Sheen.

Dec 22, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #291 of 406

Maybe Sennheiser makes a closed you could tolerate.

They do. It's called the Momentum but it is shamelessly advertised as an over-ear headphone, whereas your ears will feel like their in a death trap (that's if you're lucky enough to fit them inside).

Such a shame too! They're dark and can be used without an amp, which is a requirement I have for my future closed pair. Some people have mentioned they're like the closed version of HD650. 

If the DT660s were dark and not bright, I'd be partying like Charlie Sheen.

Have you tried the CAL!?  It is less expensive than the DT660 and, while it is a small closed over-ear headphone, it is very light, which may make it bearable to you.  I do not have a DT660, but the CAL! is darker than my DT250-250, which I imagine has a sound signature similar to the DT660.  I find them both very enjoyable for classical music.

Dec 22, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #292 of 406

Have you tried the CAL!?  It is less expensive than the DT660 and, while it is a small closed over-ear headphone, it is very light, which may make it bearable to you.  I do not have a DT660, but the CAL! is darker than my DT250-250, which I imagine has a sound signature similar to the DT660.  I find them both very enjoyable for classical music.

Thank you. Never heard of them. Looking at the picture, though, I'm afraid they'll break the first time I fall asleep with those on. 

CAL! seems to be a cheap headphone from a brand that has a relatively poor reputation. They might indeed be dark, but can they really compete with the Beyers in terms of sound quality? 

Dec 22, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #293 of 406

Thank you. Never heard of them. Looking at the picture, though, I'm afraid they'll break the first time I fall asleep with those on. 

CAL! seems to be a cheap headphone from a brand that has a relatively poor reputation. They might indeed be dark, but can they really compete with the Beyers in terms of sound quality? 

The CAL! itself has an excellent reputation. I suggest that you read the InnerFidelity review at http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate. Tyll Hertstens characterizes the sound as having "a warm tilt with a bit of excitement up top," but in comparison to the Beyerdynamic DT250-250, they are less treble-happy.  Sound quality-wise, I find them to be competitive with the Beyerdynamic DT250-250.

I have never fallen asleep with them.  I have used them in an office environment for a little over two years with no problems.  They do not isolate well; this may be a deal breaker for some.

Dec 22, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #294 of 406
  Thank for replying. Now, that's a big problem, since most symphonies are actually over 30 minutes, so are a great number of classical pieces. This means one should expect fatigue from these headphones pretty much with each long use.

Looks like I need to search elsewhere for a warm closed heaphone that is as good with classical music. Such a shame! I was fascinated by DavidMaher's comment that, for classical, these are "on par" with the T1. What a great way to enjoy music to the fullest and still save a grand not buying something like the T1!

Well, I do encourage you to seek out others' opinions as well. Mine may as well be considered uninformed, as i have experience with few headphones. I would not call the brightness "harsh". I have listened to pieces for more than 30 minutes. (Magnificat, St. Matthew Passion, Opus Musicum, Banchetto Musicale, etc.) 

Also, the DT 860 might interest you. I have heard on head-fi that it is the warmer alternative, even though it is an open headphone.

Dec 25, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #295 of 406
I have just ordered the DT660. I hope they will satisdy me for my travel needs with the DX90 (For my home rig i am planning to buy the PS1000e which are astonishing. I have to get some money first.. :/ ) 

Jan 2, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #297 of 406
No dont think so 
  Will a headband cush that fits the dt770 fit the dt660 as well? And should i buy it-How is the comfort of the original headband?

No don't think so.

Tried my DT990 pro(same as 770 pro) headband pad on DT440 (same as DT660s, & also most Ultrasone headphones) and it was nowhere near wide enough to fasten.

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #300 of 406
  The dt660 or ps1k?
I guess they are doing well with some gould!

The dt660..

Gould ehhh, not so much unfortunately, solo piano in general was to bright for me.. I really liked my late GS1000 with Gould (not Mahler symphonies) and my K501

mind you,  I have tinnitus problems and I'm very sensitive for treble.. 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back