I truly believe these are one of the best Classical Music headphones I've ever heard
Nov 27, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #256 of 406
  Thanks.

too bad i purchased hip-hop dynamics for classical music :d...i am still waiting them though :)

Tbh I would choose the DT860 over the DT660 unless I really needed closed. On the plus side it should sound more open & airy whilst also having 32 ohms impedance. I can't imagine it being as warm as Sennheiser or we would have known about it, perhaps a happy medium between typical Beyer & typical Senn.  

Nov 27, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #257 of 406
All of the beyer cans are good for classical IMO. If your source/amp is portable or cost less than $200-$300 combined, you're probably safer with the DT660 than the T90.

I certainly think the T90 is good for classical. The crispness of the sound brings better definition to instrumentals. OTOH I'm aware that many don't like Beyers. I saw the T1 get the boot for classical in a recent thread. 

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #258 of 406
also, we do not only listen to classical music, right?

for vocal jazz i think warm headphones are extremely important... but no one mentions jazz when describing these cans which makes me think that i am wrong :d

Nov 28, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #259 of 406
Yes for some, but the whole point of this topic thread was to discuss which headphones were best for exclusively classical music, especially since most threads are dominated by discussion of music for every other genre, from heavy metal, techno and so on through jazz. basically classical music lovers do not want the original concert hall venue sound altered, made warmer or sharper or more heavy bass etc.Classical music itself has many genres form solo vocal music and solo percussive instruments like the piano to strings ensembles and then larger full scale orchestral music played by an orchestra which may go up to 200 members or more.Classical misc can range in any one work from the incredibly soft almost unheard to the full blast of an orchestral tutti, form very deep bass sounds to very high treble of sopranos or violins, etc. Thus classical music demands what is often called reference quality cans which also have what is called a large sound stage so that instruments are separated out as they would be when listening in a concert hall. remember that contemporary classical music also has a range of sounds which may include electronically generated sounds. To be honest headphones which are good for classical music becasue of these demands should actually be good for every other kind of music without altering the sound quality of the original recording. But it seems many more popular music fans seem to like their music altered in some way or other depending on persona preferences.

So perhaps what is needed is to maintain this thread for reference quality headphones as opposed to IEMS and other threads can be started to discuss other shades of sound quality in headphones designed to accommodate jazz or techno rave or heavy metal lovers, etc.

Nov 28, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #260 of 406

So perhaps what is needed is to maintain this thread for reference quality headphones as opposed to IEMS and other threads can be started to discuss other shades of sound quality in headphones designed to accommodate jazz or techno rave or heavy metal lovers, etc.

We could digress to other good reference headphones to continue the thread, but I thought this is a DT 660 appreciation thread.

Nov 28, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #261 of 406

And I appreciate them.
smile.gif

Nov 29, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #263 of 406

And all this time I thought it had EVERYTHING to do with the DT660.  Silly me.

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #265 of 406

Read the Darn Topic Header Forum:

I truly believe these are one of the best Classical Music headphones I've ever heard

It has nothing to do with DT660

Better you read the tittle, dude.

Beyond talking about "classical music headphones", its a clear inclination that the topic is about one types of headphones("THESE are one of the best) and then this hidden "these" is revealed in the first post.

Nov 30, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #266 of 406
To me, this thread says that the DT660s are the best closed efficient headphones for classical. That means a lot taking into account the headphones David Mahler has listened to and reviewed.

I recently listened to the B&O H6 and I think that could also be a contender. It is neutral and very spacious sounding for a closed can. It's slighly bright but nothing offensive to my ears. The only downside is the price being much more than the 660s.

Nov 30, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #267 of 406
I think that compared to the 660, the bass is too forward. I have not listened to them much, though. They do have the advantage of being portable.

In the portable headphones market, I think the Martin Logan Mikros 90 are worth a try if you enjoy the DT 660. I got them when they were on sale for about $80, and they are well worth it. I have not tried other headphones in their actual price range.

Dec 1, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #269 of 406
  Has anyone used the Soundmagic HP 200? I wonder how that compares.

I am using the Soundmagic HP200 now, listening to Radio Svizzera Classica streaming on the internet at work, through an AudioQuest Dragonfly and a Bravo V2. This is overkill: they sound excellent with the Dragonfly alone; I enjoy the slightly different sound through the Bravo V2 every now and then.  They are open headphones.  As you may know, SoundMagic also makes closed versions of the HP200: the HP100 and HP 150, which apparently all use the same 53mm driver and are tuned slightly differently.  From reviews and posts, it seems that the HP100 is the most neutral of the three, while the HP150 is the most bass-heavy.  Unfortunately, I have never listened to the HP100, HP150, and DT660.  I do have the Beyer DT250-250, which I like a lot.  The HP200 may (emphasize: may) have a little better detail retrieval than the DT250-250.

Dec 16, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #270 of 406

I certainly think the T90 is good for classical. The crispness of the sound brings better definition to instrumentals. OTOH I'm aware that many don't like Beyers. I saw the T1 get the boot for classical in a recent thread. 

I didn't see the thread in which someone gave the T1 the boot for classical, but to that someone I have to say, I respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree. I just finished listening to an album of Schubert's chamber works for violin and piano, performed by Isabelle Faust and Alexander Melnikov -- through the T1s, gorgeous and sublime. Well, maybe Schubert and Ms Faust and Mr Melnikov deserve some of the credit. But focusing only on the hardware that brought their performances to life, I have to give the T1s a standing ovation. (And I also enjoy them for jazz and the occasional rock album.)

Sorry to digress from discussion of the 660. We now return to our regularly scheduled broadcast....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back