I seem to be a picky Head-Fi'er... (Upgrade from ATH-M50)
Oct 24, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #16 of 31
I'm kinda in the beginning stages of the same exercise, that is, looking for a portable/@ work upgrade to my M50's.  I guess my biggest issue is that they're sweaty.  Anyway, I've been thinking about the Amperiors.

Edit:  They're on-ear, but I figure the only way I'm going to avoid hot ears and head is to stay away from over-the-ear portables.  Thing is, they sound great and are really comfortable.

Oct 25, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:
Thing is, the MDR-1R is slower, bass is not as detailed, and build is not as good apparently. For the 940, they're too large, and the K1000, I really dislike the look.

Fast and moar BASS don't go together You also can't have maor BASS and not lose mids in the process.

Maybe look into Beyerdnamic headphones? Like the DT770 or DT880.

Oct 25, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #20 of 31
Have you considered the PSB M4U 1, BRS?  Assuming it's the M4U 2 sans the noise canceling, it's mostly neutral (more forward midrange than the M50) with just a bit of extra bass presence. (not to the point of bloat, mind you)  It's efficient, folds flat, and fit comfortably around my neck between listens.  To my eyes, the aesthetics take some cues from the Beats Studio -- a headphone that most agree is quite fashionable.  The only possible drawback was the cheap-feeling plastic used in their (M4U 2) construction, but I've read that this has since been revised/corrected as several reported issues with the materials used so it may now be a non-issue.

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:
Have you considered the PSB M4U 1, BRS?  Assuming it's the M4U 2 sans the noise canceling, it's mostly neutral (more forward midrange than the M50) with just a bit of extra bass presence. (not to the point of bloat, mind you)  It's efficient, folds flat, and fit comfortably around my neck between listens.  To my eyes, the aesthetics take some cues from the Beats Studio -- a headphone that most agree is quite fashionable.  The only possible drawback was the cheap-feeling plastic used in their (M4U 2) construction, but I've read that this has since been revised/corrected as several reported issues with the materials used so it may now be a non-issue.

I think he's tried the M4U2 and Q40 and he wanted moar bass. I'm a reformed basshead myself. I own the M50, CKS77, but I didn't like the use of bass boast since it drowned out everything else.

I think the only way to go is for a slightly V-shaped signature (which BRSxIgnition says he doesn't want) or go for semi-open or open headphones like the Fidelio L1 and X1 (which I'm guessing he doesn't want since they're open). He also wants big bass but fast transient response, which I think don't go together very well, very often.

Maybe some Aurisonics In-ears would be good solution for him? I don't know, I haven't tired those, but I hear they're great for drummers.

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:
DT880 are open, just to point that out.
smily_headphones1.gif

I thought those were semi-open? I was under the impression that they didn't leak that much. I mean, I would classify the Beats and Monster as semi-open and people use those in public.

Oct 25, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #23 of 31
I thought those were semi-open? I was under the impression that they didn't leak that much. I mean, I would classify the Beats and Monster as semi-open and people use those in public.

No, the Beats are closed-back (or ANC) depending on model. "Semi-open" is kind of a marketing construct, AKG and a few others use it to try and deliniate their open cans from "full open" models like the K1000 or MDR-F1 (which ironically provide about comparable (if not better) isolation as the K701). Closed-back doesn't mean zero leakage or maximum isolation, but there's a huge difference between something like the DT880 as an open-back can and the Beats as closed cans.

You can see it plotted too:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicDT880250ohm.pdf (notice how this provides essentially no isolation)
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/MonsterBeatsStudio.pdf (yet these do)

Leakage is sort of unrelated.

I think a lot of the confusion comes from a few manufacturers using that "semi-open" word to try and sell open-back headphones to people who are on the fence, and that people haven't really standardized "sealed" versus "closed" as separate things. IMHO they are (it makes discussions easier) - closed just means the back of the driver is "enclosed" and that could include ported models like the ATH-W or Denon AH-D series, while "sealed" is truly a sealed up capsule, like the Beyer T70 or DT48 (a lot of your studio headphones will be sealed).

The DT880 are not a suitable choice for portable use based on isolation, is basically the tl;dr here.

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #27 of 31
I ordered my AKG K267's at Front End Audio - I highly, highly recommend them. Stupid good service, even before I put money down on anything.

I'll keep whichever sounds better to be (between the M-100 and K267) - and probably be happy. I will write a detailed review before I resell anything though.

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #29 of 31
Have you thought about adding an amp, like the Fiio e11 or an e17 if you need a better dac (form onboard PC sound)? I've read that it makes the bass tighten up on the M-100 in the official thread. I don't know if you can get great bass and mids at this price range without a better amp or dac from what portable players and onboard sound offers.

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #30 of 31
Coming off of on-board sound, my PS3's DAC, my Sanza Player's DAC, and low level amps like the Earforce DSS and Fiio e06, a better dac brings out the mids, makes bass tighter and controlled and treble extend better (regardless of headphone).

I think that your source might be the weakest link when it comes to great sound. I'm not saying you have to spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on source components, just that getting a better sound card/DAC and an amp to properly drive your headpohones (TMA-1, Q40, M-100) would help immensely.

I'm repeating myself, but the gist is that seeing what's in your profile, you need better source gear to take advantage of these $300 - $500 headphones your looking to drive You will not be able to drive most of your full-size headphone to theri full potential otherwise.

If you don't want a DAC or an AMP look at these easy to drive headphones like:

1. Audio-Technica WS55
2. Noontec Zoro
3. Philips Citiscape Uptown
4. Monster Diamond Tears

5. Go IEM, but I know you hate those

I have heard all of these and I can vouch that they sound good with an emphasis on the mids and bass (all benefit from a better source/DAC but not so much from amping)

Otherwise just with your ATH-M50 which is easy to drive and does not benefit (much) from amping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back