I Really Need Some Help On A Suggestion
Aug 14, 2011 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Justinsane82

New Head-Fier
Firstly, I just want to let you guys know that I'm not one of those guys who just jumps in expecting everybody to do the leg work for me on this. I've been reading up on a few sets for the last few days and as I'm sure most of you know or have experienced, that has only made things worse. 

Secondly, currently, my best pair of headphones are the Sony XB700's. Yes, I'm a bass head, or was...I'm not sure yet. My next set down which served me well for years are px100's. I usually listen to my music off a laptop using a cheap Fiio E5 Amp. I listen to a bit of everything but my taste is still with more of the hip hop/r&b style.

Thirdly, up until a few days ago I was content on starting at the bottom of the Grado line with the 80's. I know there are the 60's but I didn't want to start in the basement. The 80's have their fans but I've come to find that without breaking the bank, the SR225's and the 325's have their fans also. To add to my confusion is that the MS1 series has been said to better than anything in the SR line and it's half the price of the 225's. What I'm looking for is something to be impressed and to impress others with without having to buy a home system or a high end amp. I've called up a few shops and one tried to just sell me the highest priced set I asked about but another gentleman out of Washington mentioned that the 225's require more juice than your typical set of cans and that HIS suggestion for something "like me" would be the 80's. From my readings, other than the fact that I would need to buy an adaptor to use them on my portable set up, the 225's were designed to be used without the need of an amp so that added even more to all this.

Lastly, I know this same type of topic is brought up with other brands across the board daily but I'm hoping that with me pointing out what equipment I have, what type of music I listen to and what I'm interested and have found out through my research that I can hopefully get something to ease any anxiety I have regarding going with one particular set. 

Thanks for reading and if you do choose to respond, I thank you in advance for your input.

Aug 14, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 18
All Grado models will upscale nicely even with the most modest of portable amplifiers.

Even the 80i fills out nicely in the lower bass region when teamed with an amplifier.

The 225 and 325 will play out of most portable players but again if you want to hear them at their 100% best then look
into getting an amplifier of some sort.

Middle of the road suggestion? 225 or 325 with a Cowan D2 or S9. I run my 80i out of a simple Apple ishuffle and it does the job
but it's not so great with the 325i.

PS:- MS1 is simply a slightly different SR80i rebranded as an Alessandro

Aug 14, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #3 of 18
SR125i+ all use 8 conductor cables with 1/4" plugs, and they're a freaking garden hose. I would not try to make them portable. If that's the goal, MS1 or SR80 is great.

As you go up, the bass response improves though, so if that's a concern you can step it up. There are countless mods for them though, so you can tweak until you are happy regardless of your base.

I went with the SR125i and I ended up shelving them in favor of my V6. That's not to say you won't like them, or to not get them, it's just if you want something to relax with, these (SR line and MS1 anyway) are not it. Stock headband is not comfortable in any way and the pads aren't the most comfortable to most either, especially moving from the big pillow pads on the XBs.

I'm not trying to turn you away from Grado/Alessandro, I'm just saying pick a direction before you buy. Get a SR60, SR80, or MS1 and mod it to your liking, get a SR125 or SR225 and likely change the headband, or go all out and get SR325/MS2 and up and be set with something not "needing" any mods to make them comfortable and get the sound you want.

If I did it over, I'd go cheaper and mod more honestly.

Aug 14, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #4 of 18
That is a wise move, Grados tend to be fairly divisive, it's a love affair or complete disgust with the house sound.

SR80i will be easier to sell second hand than a 325i at a guess if you end up hating the presentation.

In some other thread, someone bought a PS1000 'sight and ear' unseen and unheard for their surround sound system.

That's what I call having 'Grado guts'.

Aug 14, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 18
All Grado sound very similar to each other so you won't go wrong with any of them, be it the 80, MS1, 225 or 325. Buy with confidence.
Just a warning though, let's say you buy the 80 and like it so much, then you're gonna be soooo tempted to upgrade...hehe I've been there and done that....

Aug 14, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
All Grado sound very similar to each other so you won't go wrong with any of them, be it the 80, MS1, 225 or 325. Buy with confidence.
Just a warning though, let's say you buy the 80 and like it so much, then you're gonna be soooo tempted to upgrade...hehe I've been there and done that....

That's just it. I'm the type of person who is always looking at something just a bit better than what I have. For example, with the XB700's...I just found out Sony put out the XB1000's and I'm sitting back thinking...****. Am I looking at the wrong company possibly? Like I said, I'd like to get something that will make me happy for years to come without really having to worry about mod's or amp's. I'm kind of a minimalist if you will. It already bothers me that I'm looking at getting another set when I have two that should be good enough for me. My gf listens to my Sony's and can't understand why I would want anything else. Well there was a time where I thought the same thing. Maybe my tastes are changing. As I mentioned, I've been reading a lot lately and I see all these amazing stories of some of you guys getting your new sets, closing your eyes and instantly grin from ear to ear because it's as if you are right there with the group/artist. That is not something I get out of my xb700's obviously. 

Anyways, great feedback so far. I guess lets open this up even further to adding suggestions possibly to other brands out there. I know that basically makes this limitless as everyone has their favorites, but I tend to look for trends in responses for things like this so I guess I'm more or less looking for the more popular opinion.

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:
Like I said, I'd like to get something that will make me happy for years to come without really having to worry about mod's or amp's. I'm kind of a minimalist if you will. It already bothers me that I'm looking at getting another set when I have two that should be good enough for me. My gf listens to my Sony's and can't understand why I would want anything else. Well there was a time where I thought the same thing. Maybe my tastes are changing.

1/ something that will make you happy for years to come???? You mean audio nirvana??? Sorry, but such thing doesn't exist
biggrin.gif
 Heaps of people are still looking for it (myself included).
2/ It bothers you that you're thinking about buying a third pair??? I know exactly how you feel...but in the end I succumbed to the tempations. I'd say there's no hope for you.
3/ Your gf can't understand you??? Again I know exactly how you feel...my friends at work say the same thing to me every time a new pair of headphones is delivered to my office lol
4/ Your tastes are changing? I'd say they're getting better....
wink_face.gif

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #8 of 18
Heya,

I guess I'm having trouble wrapping my head around how you're going to like Hip Hop & R&B with a lower end Grado with very light bass. To test to see if you remotely might like the approach to the sound, get an EQ out, and take the bass way down on the XB700, then push the mids/highs up a few notches. Listen to your favorite music. If you at all like the change, ie, the removal of the heavy bass, and the forward highs/mids, then you could be someone who loves a Grado. But if not, you may need to look at something else. Also, Grados are open, so they leak in and out. Consider that if you're going portable at all with them. Everyone will have to share in on your hip hop if that's the case. And you'll be hearing them talk about you at the same time, literally, since you can hear everything around you with open cans. Comfort is the other factor, I don't think anyone will be too offended I say Grados are not the absolute most comfortable headphone, they're likely the hardest headphone to wear for a long time. Again, I'm having a hard time thinking of a Grado for hip hop and the like. I'm thinking XB700, but... you have that already. So I'm confused.

What kind of sound change are you looking for?

Very best,

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #9 of 18
tl;dr - rap and hip-hop and you're highly considering Grado's.

Perhaps you can elaborate more on what's lacking in the XB700 and what you're after... perhaps the XB700 is too enhanced for you and you want more of a studio sound? In which case try the Sony ZX700 or something like that.

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
I'm thinking XB700, but... you have that already. So I'm confused.

What kind of sound change are you looking for?

Very best,

This is what OP wants:

As I mentioned, I've been reading a lot lately and I see all these amazing stories of some of you guys getting your new sets, closing your eyes and instantly grin from ear to ear because it's as if you are right there with the group/artist. That is not something I get out of my xb700's obviously. 

Aug 14, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #12 of 18
Same here. I'm still trying to fill the void for my hip-hop and house collection. M50 comes close but still no cigar.

The search continues..

Maybe the Denon D2000 is the answer for these genres?

Aug 14, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #13 of 18
Rather than multi quoting everyone here I'll just fill in some holes. 

I mentioned hip hop and R&B as my primary music type but that doesn't mean that's all I listen to. I bought the xb700's as at the time they came out, I NEEDED a set that rattled my brains as I also had a car full of subwoofers too. I wanted to match that for my at home use. As for now, I'm just looking for a set of headphones that I don't need to rip apart and mod or need a high end amp to power that while I listen to my music at home (the headphones won't be leaving the house) and yet while I'm listening to it I feel...justified I guess. I read an amazing review of someone reviewing I believe the 225i's and he mentioned that while listening to some Pink Floyd he head every little detail that he never knew about before and it was like he was there while being recorded...or something to that effect. I'm a collector of other things (cologne for example having over 70 bottles) and when someone says to me, "I just want something that smells good that I could wear during all seasons" well that is an impossible question for me to answer as I don't know what THAT person is looking for in terms of notes of the cologne...there's just so many factors. I'm sure most of you are having that same problem with me and giving me suggestions. 

I ask though, regardless of the manufacture, is there not a "Jack of all trades" set that covers everything well? Or is it that people really do need sets to cover different types of music? It sounds like the xb700's may be one of the better sets for hip hop since it handles the bass so well. But just because I do enjoy bass that doesn't mean that at this time, I need that heavy bass all the time. Infact, there are times where I crave clean bass with just some punch without it making the headphones jump off my ears. So to the gentlemen asking why I would consider Grado when they apparently aren't bass heavy...I don't need xb700 bass levels in this new set. But if Grado sets produced NO bass at all, I doubt they would be regarded as they are.

I'd also like to add this. I live in Canada. There's aren't many hi fi stores out here that would allow me to go and try these sets. There is one store about an hour and a half from here that does sell grado headphones but he made it clear over the phone that  they are hooked up to amps behind their display. So I can't even get a good idea of what to expect as once I get those home, I know they won't sound the same with what I have.

If I've left anything out, let me know. I know what I'm asking is pretty much an impossible question without listening to specific sets myself but like I said earlier on, I'm more looking for a trend of suggestions to go on. 

Aug 14, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #14 of 18
Here's something else to throw out there. What about investing in a better amp for my xb700's? The E5 is fine but could a Headroom Airhead or Bithead show me the true potential of these headphones? Or any for that matter?

Aug 14, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #15 of 18
Consider the Fostex T50RP.

As far as I know there is no "jack of all trades" headphone, they're like perfume as you mentioned, and it depends how picky you are with your perfume, some fragrances have been around for 20+ years and will be a "jack of all trade" fragrance for some people that don't desire anything else, one such example is the Sony MDR-V6 I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back