I listen almost exclusively to metal and I'm thinking of getting either the Beyerdynamic DT 990 or the Sennheiser HD600.
Dec 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #46 of 56
Denons handle rock nicely, but metal they certainly don't, as they have far too slow drivers for the genre. I would never recommend Denons for metal alone. On the other hand, the Ultrasones have very fast drivers, which makes metal much more enjoyable.

Also, EQing is very useful to even any peaks or dips on the frequency range. I found that by toning down the 9.5K band (one example) on the Pro 900, it solves a lot of the piercing highs that most people find them to have.

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #47 of 56
Quote:

You're more likely to notice the difference between =<256kbps mp3 and 320kbps mp3/lossless. But like I said before, having a lossless library means futureproofing your music library, something you might or might not be willing to do at the present time.

I totally agree with this, this is why every thing I have is at 320kbs mp3, lossless is to big of a file, I wish there was a 512kbs mp3

You think even the D600's are "slow" or are you referring to the D-X000 line? I have D-5K's and there my favorite for metal and pretty much anything but its just the voicing and lack of funds to find something better, not because there supper fast cuz there not but I don't think there as relaxed as the HD650's. They have bass, forward vocals and forward treble but not to much but yet nothing gets lost, the lower mids are maybe 1 or 2bd behind but there still there. They also have the the flattest measurements of pretty much anything next to the LCD-2 and 3's but there still fun to listen to.

Every one says the bright headphones are bad (agree) then they go and suggest grado? whats going one lol? The 225i's might be of but not the 325's.

And for get the HD605's there way to relaxed and laid back, the 600's might work I have wanted to get a pair for a while. You don't need a V shaped curve for metal, thats why I like the d5000's but a strong tight lowend is what I prefer. The 5000'd are a little lose so there is probably something better out there.

Why has nobody suggested the HE-400's?

I wouldn't get the UE9000's there the same at the UE6000's but wireless, just get the 6000's and save money, but sense you have a higher budget get something better. Also don't confuse the UE9000's with the UE900ed IEM's.

Also I think you should leave enough budget to get a E17 with ur cans.

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #48 of 56
Quote:
+1

i found them awfully bright that even electronic didn't always sound good (its already bright usually), the LCD-2 has replaced them in that regard. they're good headphones, but bright enough that it defeats their purpose (listening to music loud on the pros to enjoy that heavy bass). 

im still gonna say that grados are definitely the best choice for metal (except the 325, which can be rather bright on some poorer recordings, especially if not paired with a warm amp).

i think one of the best headphones for metal would be denons. plenty of dynamics, speed, and detail, while offering good bass that doesn't muddy up the sound.  unfortunately since the 2000,5000,7000 series is discontinued, i have no idea how the newer models would perform. and once again, the dt 990 are definitely a great choice as well.

These are my thoughts summed up.

I think we need to know more about what the OP wants, do you want heavy bass? If so HE-400's or something else, if not Grado 225's.

Also it should be stated that the D7000's are faster than the 2 or 5k's with the larger magnet.

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #49 of 56
Quote:
I totally agree with this, this is why every thing I have is at 320kbs mp3, lossless is to big of a file, I wish there was a 512kbs mp3

You think even the D600's are "slow" or are you referring to the D-X000 line? I have D-5K's and there my favorite for metal and pretty much anything but its just the voicing and lack of funds to find something better, not because there supper fast cuz there not but I don't think there as relaxed as the HD650's. They have bass, forward vocals and forward treble but not to much but yet nothing gets lost, the lower mids are maybe 1 or 2bd behind but there still there. They also have the the flattest measurements of pretty much anything next to the LCD-2 and 3's but there still fun to listen to.

Every one says the bright headphones are bad (agree) then they go and suggest grado? whats going one lol? The 225i's might be of but not the 325's.

And for get the HD605's there way to relaxed and laid back, the 600's might work I have wanted to get a pair for a while. You don't need a V shaped curve for metal, thats why I like the d5000's but a strong tight lowend is what I prefer. The 5000'd are a little lose so there is probably something better out there.

Why has nobody suggested the HE-400's?

I wouldn't get the UE9000's there the same at the UE6000's but wireless, just get the 6000's and save money, but sense you have a higher budget get something better. Also don't confuse the UE9000's with the UE900ed IEM's.

Also I think you should leave enough budget to get a E17 with ur cans.

Actually, there are mp3 with higher bitrates, but they don't comply with the standard specs, are can't be read on PMPs nor on the majority of software players without proprietary decoders.

I'm refering to the Dx000 series. And yes, they aren't as slow as the HD600/HD650, that's for sure, but still slow enough to not recommend them, having less than ideal transients and more decay than they should. I'm talking mainly about the D2000 and D5000, mind you, as the D7000 improve on that, and due to their refined sound, they look to be better than they actually are with this specific genre.

I've heard good things about the HE-400, but can't say for sure due to not having used them yet.

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #50 of 56
Personally i don't like grados for metal. You have heard them with heavy metal, right?

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #51 of 56
Quote:
Personally i don't like grados for metal. You have heard them with heavy metal, right?

OP here, and although I've already personally decided on the Ultrasones, I want to chime in that I really did love the Grados for metal. I went in and auditioned a bunch of pairs... and I would have walked out with a pair of 325s or PS500s if I had the money. 

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #52 of 56
Which model did you get in the end, OP?

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #53 of 56
Just bought the Pro 900s from a fellow Head-Fier. Eagerly waiting. 
tongue.gif

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #54 of 56
Exciting

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #55 of 56
just throwing in my 2 cents ($400).
he-400. it handles metal pretty well, i'm really enjoying it. especially for bands with good bass guitars/drums/synth. fast drum rolls sound clean as hell and breakdowns can be heart-stopping. i'm thoroughly satisfied.

Mar 1, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #56 of 56
It largely depends on personal preferences and experience of music, not everyone wants a fully transparent sound(which is the utopian ideal), for myself which is a very experienced music listener and who also creates my own music(electric guitarist) and who are much into progessive metal I think the HD600 is very close to MY ideal sound-from-a-can. But as can be seen from this thread opinions vary from one extreme to the other 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back