I listen almost exclusively to metal and I'm thinking of getting either the Beyerdynamic DT 990 or the Sennheiser HD600.
Dec 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

CrimsonTowers

Head-Fier
So I currently have the HD518 and I was thinking I wanted an upgrade. My budget is below $400. 

I immediately jumped to the HD600 simply because I love the Sennheiser brand in general--I figured I can't go wrong. I've also received some other suggestions and among them was the DT 990 Pros. I have the opportunity to get the 990s for under $200 (is that even possible, by the way?) vs. the HD600s for just just under $400, so the price difference is vast. I want something that sounds like a great step up from my 518s. Better sound stage and clarity, and keep in mind that I'm looking for something that would be more suited to metal listening. For instance, would the difference in price between the two pairs justify going for the HD600?

I'm definitely open to other suggestions as well that are within my budget. 

(I also apologize for my lack of "proper" terminology..I am no audiophile)

Dec 4, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #2 of 56
The UE 9000's got good reviews. May want to check them out. They are closed back so they may not have an amazing soundstage, but the build, quality, and sound are all receving some sort of praise.

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 56
You may want more aggresive headphones for metal like the Ultrasone Pro750, Grado, or the Sennheiser HD598 which have a brighter sound with fuller mids. 

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 56
The genre you listen to requires fast drivers. Do look for ~$350 deals on the Ultrasone Pro 900, they excel with metal and EDM.

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #5 of 56
Quote:
The genre you listen to requires fast drivers. Do look for ~$350 deals on the Ultrasone Pro 900, they excel with metal and EDM.

Appears that comfort seems to be an issue with that pair, and I tend to be very sensitive to uncomfortable headphones.

I was definitely thinking open back just for the sake of sound stage, though I wouldn't mind headphones that I could wear in public. UE 900s are a surprising suggestion--wouldn't really expect Logitech to make something really high end. I was thinking the Grado S325i but I do tend to prefer circumaural headphones. That and the design really is horrendous. 

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #6 of 56
Quote:
Appears that comfort seems to be an issue with that pair, and I tend to be very sensitive to uncomfortable headphones.

I was definitely thinking open back just for the sake of sound stage, though I wouldn't mind headphones that I could wear in public. UE 900s are a surprising suggestion--wouldn't really expect Logitech to make something really high end. I was thinking the Grado S325i but I do tend to prefer circumaural headphones. That and the design really is horrendous. 

Not quite. You will find conflicting information on that, with some people having issues, while others being perfectly fine, and actually finding them comfortable.

It's pretty much a toss-up between Ultrasones and Grados.

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 56
Quote:

Not quite. You will find conflicting information on that, with some people having issues, while others being perfectly fine, and actually finding them comfortable.

It's pretty much a toss-up between Ultrasones and Grados.

The reviews do look overwhelmingly positive for the Ultrasones. Apparently the bass really makes them special. I'm just not sure though, even if I do listen to metal, would a neutral pair like the 600s be a bad choice? Again, I am no audiophile. What's the typical feelings towards computer EQ?

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #8 of 56
Quote:
The reviews do look overwhelmingly positive for the Ultrasones. Apparently the bass really makes them special. I'm just not sure though, even if I do listen to metal, would a neutral pair like the 600s be a bad choice? Again, I am no audiophile. What's the typical feelings towards computer EQ?

You have to keep in mind the Sennheiser HD600/650 are rather mellow headphones, meaning their drivers aren't particularly fast, like Denon Dx000 series, while metal is a genre that definitely prefers fast drivers.

About EQing, that's another topic with very mixed opinions, with some people being purists and prefering completely unaltered sound, while others use it to correct gear flaws (that all gear has) and/or to enhance particular sections of the frequency range for entertainment purposes. I personally do EQ my gear for both purposes, first correcting inherent flaws, then going from there to slightly enhance frequencies to my personal taste.

Dec 4, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #9 of 56
Quote:

You have to keep in mind the Sennheiser HD600/650 are rather mellow headphones, meaning their drivers aren't particularly fast, like Denon Dx000 series, while metal is a genre that definitely prefers fast drivers.

About EQing, that's another topic with very mixed opinions, with some people being purists and prefering completely unaltered sound, while others use it to correct gear flaws (that all gear has) and/or to enhance particular sections of the frequency range for entertainment purposes. I personally do EQ my gear for both purposes, first correcting inherent flaws, then going from there to slightly enhance frequencies to my personal taste.

I'm really leaning towards the Ultrasone Pro 900 after reading a great deal on them. Seems like it would definitely suit my taste better than the 600. Only complaint would be the lack of soundstage. 

So regarding EQ then, would that "correct" the music for the 600s to get them to sound like the Pro 900s? Or are certain things simply unchangeable? In other words I'd like to replicate the sound of the 900s with EQ if I were to buy the 600s. Though, to someone with limited technical knowledge, what difference in sound does faster drivers make?

Dec 4, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #10 of 56
Quote:
I'm really leaning towards the Ultrasone Pro 900 after reading a great deal on them. Seems like it would definitely suit my taste better than the 600. Only complaint would be the lack of soundstage. 

So regarding EQ then, would that "correct" the music for the 600s to get them to sound like the Pro 900s? Or are certain things simply unchangeable? In other words I'd like to replicate the sound of the 900s with EQ if I were to buy the 600s. Though, to someone with limited technical knowledge, what difference in sound does faster drivers make?

The Pro 900 soundstage certainly isn't bad, considering they're closed headphones, due to the S-Logic feature.

EQing can do immense changes to sound, for the better or the worse, depending on how you do it. However, it can't make slow drivers perform like fast drivers, though. In the specific case of metal, having fast drivers means there will be better transients, which will then make sound more defined and more realistic, so to speak, instead of muddying up the sound when having slow drivers.

Dec 4, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #11 of 56
Quote:

The Pro 900 soundstage certainly isn't bad, considering they're closed headphones, due to the S-Logic feature.

EQing can do immense changes to sound, for the better or the worse, depending on how you do it. However, it can't make slow drivers perform like fast drivers, though. In the specific case of metal, having fast drivers means there will be better transients, which will then make sound more defined and more realistic, so to speak, instead of muddying up the sound when having slow drivers.

Okay, the 900s are looking like the choice right about now. Hopefully I can snag them for around $300. 

Dec 4, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #12 of 56
$300 is a good price for a new pair.

Also, what gear do you have now? Onboard audio chip, internal soundcard, external DAC? And do you have a headphone amp?

Dec 4, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #13 of 56
Quote:
$300 is a good price for a new pair.

Also, what gear do you have now? Onboard audio chip, internal soundcard, external DAC? And do you have a headphone amp?

Just my Macbook Pro's soundcard, so I'm definitely looking into an amp and a DAC (3.5mm jack is broken). I don't have that much to budget on an amp so I was looking at the Fiio E7 USB DAC and portable amp. You think that would be sufficient for the 900?

Dec 4, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #14 of 56
Quote:
Just my Macbook Pro's soundcard, so I'm definitely looking into an amp and a DAC (3.5mm jack is broken). I don't have that much to budget on an amp so I was looking at the Fiio E7 USB DAC and portable amp. You think that would be sufficient for the 900?

They're not hard to drive headphones, however they do scale up nicely with better gear. Basically what I'm saying is that they already sound acceptable without additional amplification, but they certainly sound better with better DACs and amps.

Is the Fiio E17 too much for your budget?

Dec 4, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #15 of 56
Quote:

They're not hard to drive headphones, however they do scale up nicely with better gear. Basically what I'm saying is that they already sound acceptable without additional amplification, but they certainly sound better with better DACs and amps.

Is the Fiio E17 too much for your budget?

That's why I figured even if I just got the E7, it would still serve as a good starting point until I can afford something better. And yes, unfortunately the E17 is well beyond my budget. Even the E7 and DAC are pushing it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back