I listen almost exclusively to metal and I'm thinking of getting either the Beyerdynamic DT 990 or the Sennheiser HD600.
Dec 5, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #31 of 56
I agree with jupitreas.
I would NEVER buy a bright can for metal, but that's just me.

And I don't think hd600 and 650 are slow, they are actually quite fast.
If you don't believe me, check the headphone graph app over at headphone.com or maybe innerfidelity also (not sure tyll has measured them).

I will sell you my dt990 for 200 bucks (not the pro version) tho, if you won't take my advise (too bright for me).

Skickat från min GT-I9100 via Tapatalk 2

Dec 5, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #32 of 56
The HD598 drivers are faster than either the HD600 or the HD650, mind you.

Dec 5, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #33 of 56
hd 600 would probably be a better choice for metal than 650 if you decide to go with senns.

dt 990 are bright, but the 600 ohms with tubes are very nice 
wink_face.gif

Dec 5, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #34 of 56
Quote:
Hi, I listen to a lot of metal and would like to offer my 2 cents:
DT990 is a great headphone and definitely a step up from your HD518 but it might be a little too bright for a lot of metal, which is notorious for being badly produced and brickwalled. I think the DT880 would be a better option but it would still be a tad too bright.
Ultrasone PRO900 is waaaay too bright and piercing for metal. I would advise against getting that.
HD600 would be a fantastic choice, as would the HD650. The former will give you superior clarity and the latter will give those kick drums some awesome weight.
Grado headphones are superb for metal. Perhaps consider the SR325i or the SR225i, or perhaps the analogous Alessandros.
Shure SRH940 is also great for metal due to very fast midrange and lots of detail, you might need to EQ the bass up a little though, and they are very uncomfortable for a lot of people.
AKG K550 is fast, detailed and has great bass out of the box, but they can be a bit bright as well. Great soundstage for a closed can.
Finally, IMO the best headphones for metal are actually the Audio Technica ATH-M50 and the Sennheiser HD25-1 II (or the Amperior, which is a small but substantial improvement over the HD25); however, they are both closed and have pretty small soundstages. They are perfectly tuned for metal though and they really do that punchy, aggressive sound some justice.

I would say, that there are no rights and a few wrongs for metal in that sense, what you seek in metal varies greatly. As you say, the production quality isn't always good, but i listen solely to good or acceptable produced metal. The DT-880, which I own, can be too bright, but it isn't that much, and it isn't hard to tweak the eq a bit.

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #35 of 56
Why not consider a Grado/Alessandro...

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #37 of 56
Just surprised at how the PRO900 is looking like the best choice possible, while the OP didn't ask for EDM or closed :frowning2: To me, if open headphones are accepted, grado's win in every single price range for any guitar related music, be it acoustic or electric.

From my experiences with the Alessandro MS1 and MSPro

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #38 of 56
Quote:
Just surprised at how the PRO900 is looking like the best choice possible, while the OP didn't ask for EDM or closed :frowning2: To me, if open headphones are accepted, grado's win in every single price range for any guitar related music, be it acoustic or electric.

From my experiences with the Alessandro MS1 and MSPro

While the Pro 900 is known to be excellent with EDM, it also performs admirably well with metal.

Bottomline is, for metal, both Ultrasones and Grados are the best options.

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #39 of 56
I found the Soundmagic HP200 excellent for metal, fast tight sound, quite neutral

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #40 of 56
Quote:

While the Pro 900 is known to be excellent with EDM, it also performs admirably well with metal.

When mids are behind the over-powering bass?

I remember preferring the MS1 rather than the DJ1 for rock/progressive metal back when my head-fi journey started, they should be good portraits of the grado's and Ultrasone sound. Well I guess it could be fun hearing the drummer go nuts with the bass drum as well, preferences is the key point.

But that Grado Guitar Greatness is just Gradorious...

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #41 of 56
Quote:

When mids are behind the over-powering bass?

I remember preferring the MS1 rather than the DJ1 for rock/progressive metal back when my head-fi journey started, they should be good portraits of the grado's and Ultrasone sound. Well I guess it could be fun hearing the drummer go nuts with the bass drum as well, preferences is the key point.

But that Grado Guitar Greatness is just Gradorious...

First of all, the Pro 900 bass doesn't bleed into the rest of the frequency range, so that's not really a valid point.

Also, have you ever listened to the Pro 900 with metal?

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #42 of 56

With all due respect, the PRO900 is so piercing and shouty that it most certainly is not a good choice for metal. Actually, it is really not a good choice for any kind of music.

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #43 of 56
No I haven't, so I am actually quite intrigued. I was like I said, basing my opinion on my past experience with the DJ1, as well as things I read about the Pro900, mainly from the Ultrasone appreciation thread. In fact I am also basing my opinion on Grado's with my experience of the Alessandro ms1, mspro (did audition the ms2 and left myself very very impressed too).

Not only me, but there are others in this very thread that are quite satisfied using another headphone rather than the Pro900 for metal. Seeing OP is quite tilting towards the Ultras, and that I hold a very different opinion, I just want to tell him how I feel if I were to purchase a headphone for metal in similar price ranges. All of us are giving opinions basing on personal experiences as well as referencing other's impressions.

To OP:
As you can see, Ultrasones are well known (as a fact) for being a very polarizing headphone. Some love them while others really hate them. I actually liked my experience with the lower end DJ1 = HFI580, and I've seen some members commenting on them being similar in sound sig, but preferred another headphone for rock/prog metal. *I dig prog rock more than metal, disclaimer right here. I love hearing the guitar scream at me*

To Roller:
Just expressing my opinion~ Nothing personal, or maybe I have over-reacted. In that case, 
beerchug.gif

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #44 of 56
Quote:
No I haven't, so I am actually quite intrigued. I was like I said, basing my opinion on my past experience with the DJ1, as well as things I read about the Pro900, mainly from the Ultrasone appreciation thread. In fact I am also basing my opinion on Grado's with my experience of the Alessandro ms1, mspro (did audition the ms2 and left myself very very impressed too).

Not only me, but there are others in this very thread that are quite satisfied using another headphone rather than the Pro900 for metal. Seeing OP is quite tilting towards the Ultras, and that I hold a very different opinion, I just want to tell him how I feel if I were to purchase a headphone for metal in similar price ranges. All of us are giving opinions basing on personal experiences as well as referencing other's impressions.

To OP:
As you can see, Ultrasones are well known (as a fact) for being a very polarizing headphone. Some love them while others really hate them. I actually liked my experience with the lower end DJ1 = HFI580, and I've seen some members commenting on them being similar in sound sig, but preferred another headphone for rock/prog metal. *I dig prog rock more than metal, disclaimer right here. I love hearing the guitar scream at me*

To Roller:
Just expressing my opinion~ Nothing personal, or maybe I have over-reacted. In that case, 
beerchug.gif

It's actually surprising, but it seems the titanium drivers play quite nicely with metal (along with being a landmark for EDM).

While I do recommend the Pro 900 for metal, I would recommend the HFI-780 or the HFI-2400 for prog rock, for instance, for that's something to keep in mind, as different models from the line-up handle some genres differently :)

No worries, I do appreciate constructive discussion, as it helps everyone
beerchug.gif

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #45 of 56
Quote:
With all due respect, the PRO900 is so piercing and shouty that it most certainly is not a good choice for metal. Actually, it is really not a good choice for any kind of music.

+1

i found them awfully bright that even electronic didn't always sound good (its already bright usually), the LCD-2 has replaced them in that regard. they're good headphones, but bright enough that it defeats their purpose (listening to music loud on the pros to enjoy that heavy bass). 

im still gonna say that grados are definitely the best choice for metal (except the 325, which can be rather bright on some poorer recordings, especially if not paired with a warm amp).

i think one of the best headphones for metal would be denons. plenty of dynamics, speed, and detail, while offering good bass that doesn't muddy up the sound.  unfortunately since the 2000,5000,7000 series is discontinued, i have no idea how the newer models would perform. and once again, the dt 990 are definitely a great choice as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back