I just got my dream job.
Mar 2, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #62 of 210
Maybe he's going to sell Headroom amps door-to-door on his motorcycle!?

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #63 of 210
I'm very sorry to hear of troubles at HeadRoom. I've always had great service and never thought twice about recommending HeadRoom here. I hope that continues.

I don't think the new offerings from Sennheiser and Grado will help much. Both grossly misjudged the market in my opinion. Also, I think used gear is about to ravage the audio industry as a whole. People are going to, or be forced to, sell off gear. You'll be able to buy high quality used for less than modestly priced new.

One product line I'd like to see HeadRoom offer is a series of empty cases for popular DIY projects. Casing a Beta22 can be worse than building one. If you could order a professional looking case that was ready to go, I think they'd sell.

Anyhow, best wishes, Tyll and I hope everything works out.

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #65 of 210
I know, Bose bought them out
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #67 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm very sorry to hear of troubles at HeadRoom. I've always had great service and never thought twice about recommending HeadRoom here. I hope that continues.

I don't think the new offerings from Sennheiser and Grado will help much. Both grossly misjudged the market in my opinion. Also, I think used gear is about to ravage the audio industry as a whole. People are going to, or be forced to, sell off gear. You'll be able to buy high quality used for less than modestly priced new.

One product line I'd like to see HeadRoom offer is a series of empty cases for popular DIY projects. Casing a Beta22 can be worse than building one. If you could order a professional looking case that was ready to go, I think they'd sell.

Anyhow, best wishes, Tyll and I hope everything works out.

That's great idea. I really want quality cases for my DIY project...

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #68 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As the economy is now, you shouldnt be RAISING prices, you should be cutting them. You raising prices is just going to increase the amount you will NOT sell. You shouldnt be create new $4K amps till you sell the current stock. You should see how this effects everyone and adjust...that means making a flagship item for cheaper then most....people want value for the dollar. Thats the market you should be aiming for.

This is the type of conservative “inside the box” economic thinking that will put a lot of people that sell items leaning toward the luxury segment in worst shape.

While I do not deny the power of discounting to sell something, I don’t think their problem is selling a high end amp at $4000 or $3500. Their problem is whether the perceived value of their high end amps are worth it to the consumer and in struggling times, consumers want even more value for their dollar.

Another way of thinking could be that consumers are going to buy less volume but could spend more on individual items to get the “best” items they can.

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #70 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by AC1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the type of conservative “inside the box” economic thinking that will put a lot of people that sell items leaning toward the luxury segment in worst shape.

While I do not deny the power of discounting to sell something, I don’t think their problem is selling a high end amp at $4000 or $3500. Their problem is whether the perceived value of their high end amps are worth it to the consumer and in struggling times, consumers want even more value for their dollar.

Another way of thinking could be that consumers are going to buy less volume but could spend more on individual items to get the “best” items they can.

I don't think they expect the 3500-4000 amps to be the bread and butter but instead this builds the brand reputation. Typically the margins on these high end amps are really small compared to the time and the parts needed to build them. However, that image leads to the smaller more profitable amps they would rather build all day anyway.

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #71 of 210
Tyll's dream job is clear....

He is going to be the creative impetus behind a line of "equipment skins."

All the Headroom products will now have the option of having skins that are the same designs as the shirts he wears.

biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #72 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by AC1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I dont see how, if its to the point where as they are not making money, they need to rethink their pricing to make it more attractive. If they continue to try and hit that luxury market (which is what? 10% of consumers out there that can afford a item like that?) They need to set themselves apart from the others and discount items.

Selling your current stock will bring cash into the business. Im not saying to discount every product you make forever, just for the time being, get those amps you have on the shelves out the door.

Or they can wait around and sell them as the economy gets better...but by then someone will have come up with something new and improved. Which makes all that stock you have waiting, useless.

People think like this all the time, yes its a drastic move, but the economy isnt going to let up anytime soon...so drastic changes calls for drastic measures.

If i had to a choice to lose alittle more money or lose your business, then i dont think i need to tell you which one i would pick.

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #73 of 210
That Headroom is going to change is a given. Tyll has hinted at that already. HOW it changes is what will make or break the company in the long run. For my money - and yes I've spent some of my money on Headroom gear so I have a vested interest in seeing the company survive - I don't see it going the way of the Dodo. I do see it building on its core and dispensing with sales of equipment that it doesn't make (and doesn't make enough of) a profit on to warrant the expenditure required to keep so many different non-Headroom products in stock. Will we be happy? We'll see. Will Headroom be around to continue to provide us with top quality, affordable (and some maybe not so affordable) hearphone related gear? I think so.

Oh, and Tyll's dream job? Give it some thought and I'll bet you can think of what it will be given his, well, unique disposition.

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #75 of 210
Oh, you guys waiting for me? Sorry, went our for a real ride today.

You guys made some great comments, I'm gonna have to go back and read and respond.

Here's a coupla photos from today for while you wait:

One of the world's largest toxic waste sites. Berkely Pit Google map view. It was closed dahmik! And you couldn't see it from the top of the berm.

484057243_p5BPY-M.jpg

A totem pole in Deer Lodge.

484058310_e8rXz-L.jpg

Blackfoot River Brew Co.

484060237_ZpFko-M.jpg

I think the rule is you can have a beer for every pair of wheels.
Just one on a bike.
beerchug.gif

484068817_GGubw-L.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back