I just got my dream job.
Mar 3, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #76 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont see how, if its to the point where as they are not making money, they need to rethink their pricing to make it more attractive. If they continue to try and hit that luxury market (which is what? 10% of consumers out there that can afford a item like that?) They need to set themselves apart from the others and discount items.

Selling your current stock will bring cash into the business. Im not saying to discount every product you make forever, just for the time being, get those amps you have on the shelves out the door.

Or they can wait around and sell them as the economy gets better...but by then someone will have come up with something new and improved. Which makes all that stock you have waiting, useless.

People think like this all the time, yes its a drastic move, but the economy isnt going to let up anytime soon...so drastic changes calls for drastic measures.

If i had to a choice to lose alittle more money or lose your business, then i dont think i need to tell you which one i would pick.

Sure, yes, for the short term if you are talking about their current stock it needs to be liquidated. While doing something like that may be a drastic change for Headroom, it does not set them apart from others since others will be thinking the exact same thing and probably suffering as well. They might get back to even since they will be competing against other discounted products as well.

All headphone amps are "luxury" items even if it is a few hundred dollars so their preceived value has to be there for them to be sold. In the long run I think that is what Headroom's problem will be (as far as their amp business goes) regardless if they are trying to sell a $300 amp or $4000 amp.

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #77 of 210
I think this thread is just a scheme devised to divert our attention away from the HD800!
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #78 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by madmax7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hopefully that pony lays golden eggs.

Hopefully.
nod.gif
What kinda bike you got, mate?

Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have great people skills, dammit!

Bwa ha ha ha ha!
ImaPoser.gif

Enough for me, Aaron, it's not saying much, but I'm there dude.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mathmanx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see three ponies at Headroom: 1. is your mobile amps ..... 2. Crossfeed .....and 3. Your measurement/review system.

I'd bet Headroom focuses on 1 and 3 for now.

That's my guess. The suspense waiting for the reality is killing me, so I had to fabricate a guess :p

Okay, good guess. For sure the Mobile Line is where we need to go, but at the moment survival and strengthening things inexpensively is key.
So you're right, in a way, about the measurements---our informative web content needs to become more effective. (Hint - I've been writing all weekend.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
honestly, in today's market...people looking for value for their money.

This is just how i see it...i know, im not a marketing genius...just how this average joe feels =)

Dom, you've nailed it. Do the basic stuff very well is important at the moment and make good stuff available for less.
thumb.gif

That one of the reasons we've discontinued the Max and Home amps, and lowered the price on the Ultra Micros.

And why we're thinking hard about the Mobile Line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In a previous post, he wanted to grow HR 5x so he could just spend time riding the bike - sounded like that was a dream he was pursuing. Only he can say if it was _that_ dream he just got. Except, it was phrased as a "job", so, dunno.

Now, the question is, do we still keep hounding Tyll with 'How soon is NOW' wrt said HD800?
wink_face.gif

I do want to ride my bike, but that's not a job. A job must suck in one way or another to qualify as a job.

The fact that I have to tell you I've checked again and nobody knows nothin' on the HD800, and that sucks, is proof that my dream job quaifies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say he's going to stretch this one out to the most elaborate "April Fools" joke ever seen by mankind.

I'm not that that smart or that much of a sadist, but I'm honored by the thought, mate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mathmanx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe he's going to sell Headroom amps door-to-door on his motorcycle!?

Huh!
eekers.gif
Wait! Is that an option?
ricky.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm very sorry to hear of troubles at HeadRoom.

Man, it's not really so much troubles at HeadRoom, as troubles everywhere at the moment. I want to say here and now that we (many of us, all of us, someone you know, maybe you (God forbid), friggen economies around the globe) are hurting a lot right now, and my heart goes out to all of us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle E
One product line I'd like to see HeadRoom offer is a series of empty cases for popular DIY projects.

Funny, I was just talking to someone about sumpin' like that the other day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife
If they continue to try and hit that luxury market (which is what? 10% of consumers out there that can afford a item like that?)

At a grand, it's more like 0.1% of the headphone market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC1
All headphone amps are "luxury" items even if it is a few hundred dollars so their preceived value has to be there for them to be sold.

This is also true. The question is: Will people value a quality listening experience more over time, and if so would it be just a fad?

Remember HeadRoom isn't IBM or Apple, it doesn't need big percentages of the market when the market is everybody, like it is with headphones.

I think people WILL value headphones more over time. I think the iPod and subsequent penetration of sales for Shure demonstrate it already.

Then, the smaller the luxury, and the more it's valued, the more people will reach (and pay a premium) for it.
So, I like HeadRoom's niche in the long run.

Almost...
  1. everybody loves music.
  2. everybody's got two ears on the side of their head.
  3. nobody can sit in front of two speakers all day long.
  4. everybody needs headphones.
  5. certainly, one percent or more (3,000,000 in US) will spend a bit to a lot extra to get good sound on headphones.

Ho, look! It's late, and I promised April I'd watch a movie with her tonight. And it's a school night! Gotta go; I'll be around to post tomorrow during the day.

wave.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #79 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this thread is just a scheme devised to divert our attention away from the HD800!
biggrin.gif

ImaPoser.gif

I don't care who you are, that there is funny!

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #82 of 210
Perhaps Tyll is going to start designing his own line of headphones, probably IEM types of gadgets that would compete with the likes of Shure, Etymotics, etc. Who knows. I guess we'll all find out after a couple more motorcycle rides.

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #83 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by madmax7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Hopefully. What kinda bike you got, mate?"

IMG_7666.jpg

Nice! A 'Busa's about the only thing I might trade in my FJR for .... not!....quite.

No bags and ridiculously upright adjustable windscreen for touring like a fat old man. I'm keeping the FJR, but you've got a heck of a sweet ride there.

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #85 of 210
Mar 3, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #86 of 210
Thanks! A Busa offers just about everything except comfort LOL. The Ducati is so, so nice, but I needs me four cylinders! Notice the Desmo in my Avatar, 70K worth!

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #87 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is obvious he is now designing in-helmet monitors. Read the clues, people!

Helmets with headphone compartments.

Or... wrap-around, armor-plated headphones.

Quote:

Ho, look! It's late, and I promised April I'd watch a movie with her tonight.

April is a lovely name
smily_headphones1.gif
Is that your daughter?

Quote:

One product line I'd like to see HeadRoom offer is a series of empty cases for popular DIY projects.

Another option would be to offer the DIY designs at various stages of completion - parts kit, pre-populated board, kit with enclosure, etc, as well as the finished product. There's an enormous amount of respect for the Gilmore and AMB designs out there, and few builders. And those commercial builders that do exist, are usually one-man operations with 2-6 month lead times.

This way, all Headroom would have to stock is the parts, and could invest labor into assembling the amps on a per-request basis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back