I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Oct 15, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #3,631 of 3,761

Quote:
I tried to resist!!

But...

I found a good deal for a new 16GB so I finally joined the IE8 + X group!!!!

Same here!
Just bought a X1050, it sounds and looks amazing. At this moment I actually prefer my Philips SHE9850 to my IE8 with the Sony X. Anyone who has the Sony and Etymotic HF5/MC5?

Oct 15, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #3,632 of 3,761
Quote:
dura said:

This is interesting; this weekend I decided to try recharging from the mains instead of the PC and it seems battery life is mucch longer that way; very very rough estimate is double.

That is interesting dura, because I never charge my X on the PC, and my battery life is still very good. If you've almost doubled the battery life, does that mean the X gets a more powerful charge from the mains?

R3set - you said 'at this moment I actually prefer my Philips SHE9850 to my IE8'. I think I demoed the SHE950 last year. It wasn't as warm as the IE8 if I remember. Is that how you hear them? I know from experience that I prefer a cooler sounding phone with my Sony daps, but I still haven't heard anything that made the X sound bad
smile_phones.gif

Oct 15, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #3,633 of 3,761

Quote:
Quote:

R3set - you said 'at this moment I actually prefer my Philips SHE9850 to my IE8'. I think I demoed the SHE950 last year. It wasn't as warm as the IE8 if I remember. Is that how you hear them? I know from experience that I prefer a cooler sounding phone with my Sony daps, but I still haven't heard anything that made the X sound bad
smile_phones.gif

Yes they are less warm indeed. They are much more aggressive and less refined I think. The IE8 & Sony X combo is very very smooth and warm, but maybe a bit boring? Anyway, it's only for 5 days i have this player so maybe my opinion will change the coming weeks, I don't know. But I would like to hear what other owners of the X think of various iem's with this player. 

Oct 15, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #3,634 of 3,761
I've tried multiple IEM's with my X, but eventually it boiled down to deciding between the IE8 and Westone3, of which I chose the latter.  The IE8 paired with the X produces and enormous sound for an IEM.  However, the Sennheiser veil is still a part of the sound signature of the IE8, particularly noticeable with the highs..  

I had used the IE7's with my X daily for about 6 months and became very accustomed to the sound signature.  Once I tried the Westone3, it took a while to appreciate another presentation.  There is no veil whatsoever such as with the IE8.  The sound is not too forward or upfront, but the detail is phenomenal.   

Oct 15, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #3,635 of 3,761
Sold....it was but a brief affair.

Oct 16, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #3,636 of 3,761
Hi!
Pardon my noobness.. but want to ask, isit worthwhile getting an amp for the sony X? thinking of headstage arrow.. also planning to use the setup with DBA-02..

Thanks...

Oct 16, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #3,637 of 3,761
Today I went to the local Yodobashi camera store to try out some headphones with my Cowon S9, and at the Sony section I noticed that there were no X series at all. I had to walk around it twice to make sure. No X series at all. The new A series and E (?) series were well represented, though.
So perhaps now the discontinuation of the X series is starting to show...

Oct 16, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #3,638 of 3,761

Quote:
Hi!
Pardon my noobness.. but want to ask, isit worthwhile getting an amp for the sony X? thinking of headstage arrow.. also planning to use the setup with DBA-02..

Thanks...

Hey,
Welcome to HF. You sure picked a good DAP. It sounds so good on its own that it takes a really good amp to improve much on it. I currently have the Arrow amp myself, and have been most satisfied with it over several others, which include: RSA Mustang & Shadow, & ALO Rx. 

Another plus is that there are line out cables available now too. You can find them on Ebay. ALO also makes one, but it's crazy expensive. Over half the cost of the Arrow amp itself. I bought mine from this seller, and even shipping to the US was quick and smooth.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Walkman-MP3-LOD-Line-Out-Dock-Cable-OFC-/280564683639?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item4152f55377#ht_5177wt_905

Oct 16, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #3,640 of 3,761
It's noticeable, but not a massive jump. It's about subtleties. The biggest thing is that the soundstage grows and becomes more 3D feeling. Bass tightens up too. The other key thing though is the extra drive and power. With the selectable gain on the Arrow, you can use gain +2 or +3 and drive some serious headphones. Much more so than the two RSA amps and the Rx I had. 

Oct 31, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #3,642 of 3,761
I have an unused Tuff-Luv leather case for the X which I am willing to post to someone, free of charge.

Please PM me.

Oct 31, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #3,643 of 3,761

Wait?!?!?! You sold your favorite DAP, the Sony X?!?!?! Wow, we've both changed, haven't we,...
Quote:
Sold....it was but a brief affair.

Quote:
I have an unused Tuff-Luv leather case for the X which I am willing to post to someone, free of charge.

Please PM me.

Oct 31, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #3,644 of 3,761
Yeah, I prefer small players these days - the smaller the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back