I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Dec 15, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #3,662 of 3,761
also, for USA people, i still have the first X that i owned (dropped it and screen broke, can only be used as a drive) has anyone tried the sony replacement plan?  It costs 250 but maybe I might go that route.  How long from the time received do they ship replacement unit?

Dec 15, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #3,663 of 3,761
I plan on getting one but would also love to hear a comparo since they aren't even released in the US yet.
Quote:
so I've been listening to my sony nw s618 8 gig since my baby was taken from me but I am about to say f it and repurchase but I've been eyeing the cowon x7.  Has any one heard it to compare?

Dec 15, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #3,664 of 3,761
If you're going to order a new one, you'd better do it soon.  The 16GB is no longer in production which means the 32 will be soon to follow.  I would imagine next month we'll find out about some new Sony releases.....maybe.  The new E series was really not announced.  It just showed up on the shelves one day.  A new S series has been released in Japan and some European countries again with no announcements at all.  Not too sure what the heck Sony is up to these days.  They put more money and publicity into the discontinuing of the Walkman Cassette player.

Personally I'm REALLY hoping that the new S series gets released here in the US and soon.  Hopefully Jan or Feb at the latest.  The battery in my S639 is really fading pretty fast now.  Not really interested in picking up an 8GB E series. 

Quote:
NYC....I am grieving.  Drunk as hell friday night/ saturday morning, basically passed out on the 4 train....someone pickpocket me for pack of cigarettes, my X1000, and my shure se530's.  Do I re-purchase or can someone reccomend something newer.  Does any body know if sony plans to release 32 or 64 gb a series in usa?  I really don't want to mess around with any other brand than sony, tried other brands (sansa, creative, apple, cowon...) they just don't do it for my ears. 

Dec 21, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #3,665 of 3,761
Has anyone tried new firmware 1.11? It does not mention any sound improvement.

Improvements over firmware version 1.10:
  1. This update enables the following functions to continue to function after the planned YouTube® video receive method change. Without this update the functions will no longer work after the planned YouTube video receive method change.
    1. "Keyword Search" and "Related Videos" functions.
    2. "Related Links" function, which is called from the Music playback screen, to search for YouTube videos.
Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version 1.11:
  1. Reduces the time required to open Web pages
  2. Improves Web page scroll speed
  3. Improves Web page layout display
  4. Improves display of Web pages using frames

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=NWZX1051FBLK&SelectOS=7

Dec 21, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #3,666 of 3,761
I've learned not to do "updates" on a lot of my equipment unless there is a very specific reason to do so.

(I learned that on several System OS "upgrades" and the Nikon D70 way back when...) 

I didn't fall into the iOS4 trap on my 3GS and still have 2 OS revisions ago on my Mac G5.  

I will finally move to Mac OS 10.5 (for some software compatibility) but unless SoozieQ updates her Sony X firmware and tells me it sounds better...I'm not gonna!

Dec 25, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #3,667 of 3,761
anybody tried charging it from the mains with an iphone usb charger/adapter?

Dec 25, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #3,669 of 3,761
The only way I charge mine is from the mains into apple charger.  I figure that's the only pure charge as the computers are also accessing the unit.

I also try to run down the battery (memory or not) as people have had issues with Sony battery life and the battery is not replaceable.

For some of my products I can clearly see that mains charging with the apple wall wart is much faster than into a USB port...so I just try to do that.

Dec 26, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #3,670 of 3,761
Hi Everyone,

I've had my X for just over a year now, it still sounds mind-blowing, so what do I do?

I buy another one, so I have two now, just incase something happens to one of them or the battery dies ect..

Now I'm thinking of buying the A845, even though people have commented on the sound not being as good as the X...

Anyone actually got the A845?

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #3,672 of 3,761

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I've had my X for just over a year now, it still sounds mind-blowing, so what do I do?

I buy another one, so I have two now, just incase something happens to one of them or the battery dies ect..

Now I'm thinking of buying the A845, even though people have commented on the sound not being as good as the X...

Anyone actually got the A845?

If you buy the A845, make sure it's not the volume-capped model. There's a thread somewhere on here about the new A series. Sony decided to (kindly) extend the volume limiter once again to those of us outside France, so unless you get one from the US when / if it's released there, you might have issues with it not being loud enough.

There are a lot of complaints about it on ABI. Luckily, my X is still going strong with almost the same battery life it's always had, but I do worry about it dying at some point, and not having a replacement for it. But there's no way in hell I'm getting one with a volume limit.

CTEE, I haven't updated to the latest firmware yet, don't know if I'll bother as the first one was pretty forgettable. It was supposed to speed up web-browsing, and it did - from one hour to open a page to a mere 55 minutes, yay!

http://www.avforums.com/forums/portable-music-mp3/1196882-sony-nwz-a845-low-volume.html

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #3,673 of 3,761
The only other DAP which piques my interest is the Cowon J3. I like the idea of its battery life, customizable sound, and the possibility of doubling the capacity to 64G. But I know it won't have the X's liquid, smooth sound signature. I know soozieq has already confirmed this comparison! So there really is still no true replacement yet. I've often thought about ordering a second 32G X lately since I suspect the battery life is going on my unit.

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #3,674 of 3,761

Quote:
The only other DAP which piques my interest is the Cowon J3. I like the idea of its battery life, customizable sound, and the possibility of doubling the capacity to 64G. But I know it won't have the X's liquid, smooth sound signature. I know soozieq has already confirmed this comparison! So there really is still no true replacement yet. I've often thought about ordering a second 32G X lately since I suspect the battery life is going on my unit.

Well, hello you!
biggrin.gif

Have you tried running the battery totally flat, then recharging it in a cradle or with a wall charger? And is your wifi search switched to off? Check it just in case because it puts a huge drain on the battery if it's on in the settings menu.

As for the J3, it was a shame that I had 2 defective ones so never really had a lot of time to get used to the sound. But I know I preferred the X's more open sound with my FX700's and CK10's, whereas the UE700's (which are shrill by comparison) sounded better with the J3 than the X. And the X menus are a lot easier to access. I never really appreciate how quick I can access everything until I use a dap with buried menus that takes 3 or 4 steps to do one thing.

The bad news is that it seems ALL future Sony daps (in the UK/EU) will be capped from now on, so I won't be getting another Sony from here, that's for sure. I wonder how many potential buyers they'll lose over this decision to reintroduce the stupid limit again.

Also, it means I can't laugh at France anymore
frown.gif

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #3,675 of 3,761
Hey there! Those are good suggestions... but I do have wifi off, and I've drained it pretty close to all the way, and I charge it most of the time on the dock at work. And periodically it gets a good full charge from the wall plug too. I also have the screen brightness way down to 2. So I think I'm doing about all I can. 

I may still try out a J3 though (hopefully I'll get sent the correct 32G size, unlike last time Jetaudio sent me a 16 when I'd paid for the 32). I have a feeling it would sound good with the SM3's & TMA-1's. 

If Sony ever releases a worthy replacement, you know you always have a source for an uncapped unit here in the states... that is unless they decide to do it for this side of the pond too. Wouldn't that totally be poetic justice? Heh. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back