I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Apr 15, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #3,406 of 3,761
Ya, I don't know if you went wrong turning in your X for an ipod classic. Might have given up sound quality for storage. If you're really not into sound as much as you are storage, then you really made the right move. Can get cumbersome always changing out your library because you have no space.

On the other hand, some people swear by the ipod sound. I'm not one of them, but some do. The 2 best sounding Ipods I have heard to date are the shuffle 1G and the Nano 3G.

I will say this....Apple should have taken that 160GB hard drive and made that the starting point with the new Ipad.

Lots of days I still wish I had my X!!

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #3,408 of 3,761
Hi
Have been using sony a726, touch3g, clip v2, shuffle2g, philips go gear xxx............buttt none of them is even satisfactory.
Sony sounds taller,bit better mids, bassier, brings out emotion better than the touch ; the touch 3g on the other hand kicks out the sony in terms of resolution, clarity, soundstage & the upper highs are just awesome on the touch very sparkly & clear, sony has almost non existent upper highs. Also the touch sounds fuller than the sony. The touch however is somewhat thin with the mids & harsh with lower highs, sounds wider but not as 3d type as the sony.
Now can anyone with extensive experience with sony Axxx, sony X 1060 and touch 2g/3g tell me if the sony x1060 is as clear and fuller as the touch while maintaining the bass, mids & tone of the sony A726.
Ive been spending all my earnings (my first job just 3 months ago......no savings
beerchug.gif
) on several sound sources, so i just want to stop hunting.

Would there be any improvements if i add fiio5(ordered) to HO of my sony or line out of the touch.
And dont kill me when i say i've been listening to everything through the ultra talented (was trapped under the advise of my friends
angry_face.gif
) Sennheiser cx300II. The only thing they qualify for is "The probable contender for poor sounding iems".I could not have arranged better than this at the place where i live.

Apr 15, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #3,409 of 3,761
Finally I have now a x1060, it's really really good player, aesthetically (and manifaturing) is absolutely top notch (also if it's really easy do scratch), interface is light years above cowon (I had a D2), sonically is warm a bit more of clip and I like that (D2 sound digital and cold for me a bit lifeless), sony x takes music to life, flat is just very close to be perfect (with D2 you must chosse between the options and eq to get a very good sound but I don't like the cold and digital sound)...only the volume is not that high with some songs and with not very sensible iem (with D2 you have ever in the worst case 1\4 of volume unused, but it become to distort at really high volume, sony at max volume continues to be perfect)

I have tried to encode a 432x240 video with aax at 160kb and video at 800kb x264, it's ok but the final file is too big I will try to lower bitrate but it plays fine...
for audio I'm using VBR nero AAC@250kb

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #3,411 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, the Nano 2G had some bass roll off which I find hurts the IE8. If there is bass roll off with a boomy earphone, the boom gets worse. The loudness curve (acoustic) setting shouldn't distort unless under very very unique circumstances (a brand new recording). My A845 rolls off, but I don't have the IE8 now to chat about signature matching.

I know there is a lot of talk about the X being the best. I agree that its signature is addictive, but in comparison to some of Sony's older players, I think it actually distorts the music more. It is further from the actual sound wave output when running earphones. Headphones are pretty good though.

If it didn't hiss so much, I'd probably consider it among my favourites.

The X is a fine player for sure, one I'd recommend above Sony's other S-master players. I can recommend the iBasso T3D - 'cheap', small, good performance.

I think you are one of the very few with major hiss hearing problems... lol. Most people are fine with it since its pretty much not there when hearing the music but you... it just hurts you!

Apr 16, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #3,412 of 3,761
Hear is a bit of optimism that the next Sony X model when it comes out might have flac as Sony Ericsson are just releasing two slider walkman phones that support the flac codec, so go figure, at long last.

Can only hope this is Sony finally seeing sense and perhaps listening to what their customers say which is welcomed if a little slow on the up take.

A 64gb X touch screen with flac? that would be enough for my current X to see a dark drawer! lol

Apr 17, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #3,414 of 3,761
Hi, had a cheap silicon case with my Sony X & it as sufficed. Thought cases might get harder to obtain, so last couple of weeks, actually bought 3(At moment got 2 Sony's 'X's).
First got Black silicon Tuff-Luv case, & its good.
Then got Official Leather case off Amazon UK seller, Expensive!!! £35 with P & P. Like it except band that holds it shut, for me be better like Tuff Luv(i think its the one ?) Leather case with strap around & magnetic closure.
Had seen Proporta case on Play.co.uk for £18(£30 off Proporta themselves). Says Purple, this put me off, what colour Purple ? Bit of research, its actually nearly all black leather, only thing purple is inside of Flap & under the 'X', its a inky dark purple as well. Comparison to Official Sony case:-

Its slightly bigger in all dimensions.
Its as well made.
'X' not as visible being, you could say in a pouch, all buttons accessible thou, except Hold. But if not too fat a fingers, you can use it OK/well. Prob don't need Hold thou, Aluminium plate in Flap, at last can't see screen getting a tap, while in pocket etc. Hold might even be easier to use, than how you have to gain access with Official Leather case.
If 'X' dropped, Proporta looks to give better protection.
Proporta be harder to use top buttons while say, in a pocket. You would have to shove in pocket with Front Flap folded back.
All 3 good/Quality cases, be swings & Roundabouts, which any person, would prefer IMO. Or maybe even a different case.

Cheers BOB

ps note, had orig X for a while, looked at cases numerous times, but its always been too many ifs & buts. Above 3 looked at many times
smile.gif

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #3,415 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShootingStars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you are one of the very few with major hiss hearing problems... lol. Most people are fine with it since its pretty much not there when hearing the music but you... it just hurts you!

I think actually, that it is because I came from sources which didn't hiss at all and so I know what the output can sound like. 10 years later and about 20x the hiss is pretty disturbing for me.

Apr 17, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #3,418 of 3,761
I bought a 32GB Cowon S9 last week for $270 in Canada, I think it's a better player overall than the X1060, like flac/ape support, inaudible hiss, etc.

BUT i still can't get over x1060's lush mids... s9 mids are too recessed and dry in comparison....

guess there's no perfect player
frown.gif

Apr 17, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #3,419 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwang411 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a 32GB Cowon S9 last week for $270 in Canada, I think it's a better player overall than the X1060, like flac/ape support, inaudible hiss, etc.

BUT i still can't get over x1060's lush mids... s9 mids are too recessed and dry in comparison....

guess there's no perfect player
frown.gif

In this world there is NOTHING perfect and I am seriously convinced about that.

You just choose what better suits you. I was choosing between the Cowon and the X and Cowon was just too BIG for me, just too big.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back