I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Apr 24, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #3,436 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascariss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
funny how people are opting for the X, when perhaps something better is around the corner?

eek.gif
and what may that be??

Apr 24, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #3,437 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwang411 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey sorry for the late reply
X1060 is definitely an improvement over a728, but the improvement is pretty subtle: Slight increase in soundstage, slightly more treble presence, less bass.

A728 is bassy and really warm i find, which is the primary reason why i chose to get the x.
X1060 isnt as clear or transparent as IPT, but it sounds very rich and lush and organic. It's just non fatiguing.

The improvements may be rather subtle, but for people like us it's the subtle differences that count, right?
wink.gif

Thanks for the reply
regular_smile .gif

And yes even a minor improvement in any aspect of SQ can work wonders & it mostly depends on what kind of music will b most affected by the improvement. It seems no mp3 players is a perfect allrounder, apart from the player itself SQ is also highly dependent on the category of music & synergy with the headphones.
And the problem with touch 3g is that the edges of the mid/bass notes is quite processed in order to give it a cleaner/liquid feel in a good way. But this algorithm also makes mids to sound compressed , almost taking away the 'z' dimension from the music. Although the highs are just awesome on the touch way better than the sony a726 & clip.

Apr 24, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #3,438 of 3,761
Hey, would these hiss with Super Fi. 5s? I just got myself some DIRT CHEAP SF5 due for delivery in May and since they're apparently quite low impedance and the X is prone to hissing, I was wondering if the X really is the player for me. The 32GB version sells for 250 euros here so I was about to jump on one...

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #3,441 of 3,761
Well, I know I paid too much, but the stellar SQ is well worth the price. I still want a 64gb Sony still - and I'll jump on it when it hits the USA w/English menus.

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #3,442 of 3,761
I nearly decided to sell mine the other week (have a Touch as well)

thought I'd have a quick re-listen - and its one of those players that to start with (first minute or so) - you re-think whats the fuss about

but then 3 hours later, and you've been dipping in and out of all of your collection, with a good few oooh this sounds goods - along the way

I think like others have said Organic is the best way to describe the sound

I think Classical in particular sounds sublime

btw I still think the Screen is quite poor, I don't know why but I much prefer the one on my Touch (colours, brightness etc) - my Sony seems to get more and more saturated in colour as you increase the brightness, if you reduce the brightness (1 below normal) to something to give a realistic representation of colours then its not bright enough

perhaps its a mis-calibrated screen I'm not sure, but reds in particular look way way over saturated

also when watching videos, no matter how I encode them (and at very high quality/bitrates too) - whole experience seems a bit grainy - hard to describe, but again I think the Touch looks a lot better for video, even though in theory the screen is not as good

Apr 25, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #3,444 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pott /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, would these hiss with Super Fi. 5s? I just got myself some DIRT CHEAP SF5 due for delivery in May and since they're apparently quite low impedance and the X is prone to hissing, I was wondering if the X really is the player for me. The 32GB version sells for 250 euros here so I was about to jump on one...

FWIW, I hear a slight hiss on the stock Sony NC phones, less through my Denon C-751, and even less through my triple.fi 10s (I have to concentrate with no song playing to notice it).

Apr 25, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #3,445 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by lgm1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW, I hear a slight hiss on the stock Sony NC phones, less through my Denon C-751, and even less through my triple.fi 10s (I have to concentrate with no song playing to notice it).

It's supposed to hiss with any electronic noise canceling headphones - the electronic circuit creates "white noise" to counter outside noise; how strange it may sound. Sorry, I don't know about Super Fi. 5s.

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #3,446 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by david1978jp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's supposed to hiss with any electronic noise canceling headphones - the electronic circuit creates "white noise" to counter outside noise; how strange it may sound. Sorry, I don't know about Super Fi. 5s.

I've never used noise canceling headhphones before until now (iem's blocked out enough for me). Is this true whether noice canceling is turned on or off on the dap? I thought if it was turned off, the headphones were passive (the electronic circuit is not activated)? Either way, there is clearly hiss, on or off.

And to be clear, hiss is present, even with the triple.fi 10s (I can plug it in and unplug it and notice a difference). It is very, very quiet though and not bothersome or readily noticeable.

Apr 26, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #3,447 of 3,761
One year on, and this thread is stil going strong!?!?!?!

The Zune HD came and went, the ipod touch was a non-starter, and the Cowon S9 came within spitiing distance. But still, with all it's quirks and foibles, the X1000 prevailed

I think this should dispel any mis-givings, if any, left of it being FOTM.

As has been mentioned, it's the effortlessness of how it carries out the music that's it's greatest strength for me, and the main thing I notice when I use an other DAP

I still have no urge to upgrade and believ me, at times I have itchy fingers!

Good stuff.

Apr 26, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #3,448 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by alitarbegshe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Zune HD came and went, the ipod touch was a non-starter, and the Cowon S9 came within spitiing distance.
But still, with all it's quirks and foibles, the X1000 prevailed

So true. And there are a lot of happy owners now, with new ones just discovering what all the fuss is about. I still whine about the lack of basic features, but to date, I've never heard a dap that sounds quite as enjoyable as the X. It's totally spoiled me for vocals, which is one of the reasons I said bye bye to the S9 and Zune HD so fast. Quirks and foibles it has plenty - but that's all forgotten about as soon as I start listening
icon10.gif

Quote:

I think this should dispel any mis-givings, if any, left of it being FOTM.

Yes. Now it's FOTY, Flavour of the Year
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I still have no urge to upgrade and believ me,
at times I have itchy fingers!

Me too, but more so with earphones.............. !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back