I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Apr 11, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #3,383 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neeley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dupe.

Bloody hell Neeley, talk about pimp my ride! Someone will be lucky one day when you eventually decide to sell your car!

Where do you get all the vinyl like material from, for the car interior lining to cover all your works of art?
And how many hours has this project taken up of your time so far?

I had a company car which was a lovely 58 plate Alfa 159 but went into a better but different type of job which does not need a company car and currently do not need a second car between me and the missus at the moment, but when i do get another car eventually for myself i am going to commission you Neeley to pimp my ride for my Sony X! lol

You def have a gift there Neeley, keep up the good work, it was a great to see those pics.

One thing i would say is it might be best if you could get those pics to download into that thumbnail format that can be enlarged when clicked on then you would be able to keep them on here without taken up two pages! lol

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #3,384 of 3,761
Thanks fellas.

The vinyl material is from AS-Essentials

It takes a lot of patients, practice and screwups to get the vinyl looking right, it's so easy to **** it all up and get stretch marks. the glue is brushed on and stinks something rotten. I hate doing it but the end result is satisfying.

On the a-pillars to get the flowing shape over the wooden baffles, it's a case of stretching speaker grill cloth over them and hot gluing around the back. Then fiberglass resin is applied to make the build solid. Rub down, prep, fill etc then cover them with the vinyl.

It's just become a hobby, apart from the vinyling it's good fun installing in the summer. Anythings possible fabricating with fibreglass.

FF75. At some point if you're interested I'm more than happy to help you get your hands dirty. If you fancy a listen sometime you're more than welcome. It's hi-fi rather than kids boom boom annoying bass.

The goal is to create a proper sound-stage with the center image in the middle of the windscreen rather than the sound coming from the speaker nearest to you., Very basically : this is achieved with time alignment, delaying speakers in milliseconds so the information reaches your ears at the same time. With a fully active system each driver can be individually controlled, levels, phase, eq and crossover points. This is necessary as the passenger side drivers are further away and more on axis than the drivers position, thus the difference in frequency response between left / right needs to be made equal to achieve the proper sound-stage. The sub in the rear is also time aligned into phase to blend with the front and produce solid bass that can't be heard coming from the rear.

Sorry... waffling and going way off topic.

The X is the only source I use in the car, it sounds sweeter than the cd.

I'll delete those pics above this evening, don't want them up permanently.

smile_phones.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #3,385 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neeley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks fellas.

The vinyl material is from AS-Essentials

It takes a lot of patients, practice and screwups to get the vinyl looking right, it's so easy to **** it all up and get stretch marks. the glue is brushed on and stinks something rotten. I hate doing it but the end result is satisfying.

On the a-pillars to get the flowing shape over the wooden baffles, it's a case of stretching speaker grill cloth over them and hot gluing around the back. Then fiberglass resin is applied to make the build solid. Rub down, prep, fill etc then cover them with the vinyl.

It's just become a hobby, apart from the vinyling it's good fun installing in the summer. Anythings possible fabricating with fibreglass.

FF75. At some point if you're interested I'm more than happy to help you get your hands dirty. If you fancy a listen sometime you're more than welcome. It's hi-fi rather than kids boom boom annoying bass.

The X is the only source I use in the car, it sounds sweeter than the cd.

smile_phones.gif

Some hobby you have got yourself there! You wouldn't want me helping, i have the patience of Gordon Ramsey on a bad day! If it does not go right first time i persuade it with automatic repetition of blows with a hammer! lol

Perhaps i will come over one day if you are free and see your handy work in the flesh as what you have described in what you are trying to achieve is very complex with the acoustical side of things with the sound in the car and i appreciate that more hi-fi set up sound as apposed to the Chav blow your head of 30 doors away overblown bass, bass and nothing but bass! lol

Hey, when you have enough money to buy an Jag or Aston Martin you will not have to go through all this hard graft as they already have B&W and B&O systems respectively installed!

I get the impression by the way you described all that you have an AV surround sound set up also maybe?

I suppose the solid state flash drive of X the is always going to have an edge over the mechanical aspect of a head unit cd player encased in not the best dampening environment to be found like you would say for example, in a home hi-fi set up.

What codec do use your X with? - just wandering if your using compressed files if it still sounds okay through the car as it does with earphones as when i used to have my old HDD player the HD5 going through line out in my car with Sonicstage ripped 356 tracks it still always sounded a little stuffy and compressed albeit i only had a semi good halfway setup in my old Vaux Calibra several years ago unlike your very close eye to detail in perfecting in car hi-fi sound.
wink_face.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #3,386 of 3,761
Hi,
i have a question for people who are using the Sennheiser ie8 with the x1060:
Do u guys find the bass on the ie8 weaker than the original x1060 bundled IEM? Apparently, mine is noticeably weaker than the x1060 bundled IEM. I just got the ie8 a few days ago and i am a bit worry that it might be counterfeit.

Thanks

Apr 12, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #3,387 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by jasontkj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
i have a question for people who are using the Sennheiser ie8 with the x1060:
Do u guys find the bass on the ie8 weaker than the original x1060 bundled IEM? Apparently, mine is noticeably weaker than the x1060 bundled IEM. I just got the ie8 a few days ago and i am a bit worry that it might be counterfeit.

Thanks

I use that combination. Bass is different, tighter on the supplied set (in fact very good), deeper and more prominent on the IE8.
However, the IE-bass is very dependent on the tips used, ranging from boomy to extreme dry depending on the damping the tip provides.
there is a tread about IE8 fakes somewhere, where all kind of details are listed to determine if you got a fake.

Apr 13, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #3,388 of 3,761
So I have had this thing since launch and finally looking to get a case. Does anyone know if the official sony leather case has an opening for the hold button? How about the official silicone case? Any reccomendations?

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #3,389 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by kessomatt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I have had this thing since launch and finally looking to get a case. Does anyone know if the official sony leather case has an opening for the hold button? How about the official silicone case? Any reccomendations?

Yes, it does. I've got it, and though expensive (35.00 EUR directly from Sony, including shipping), the design and workmanship is 1st rate.

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #3,390 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it does. I've got it, and though expensive (35.00 EUR directly from Sony, including shipping), the design and workmanship is 1st rate.

That's correct, but you'll have to open the case and lift your X up to have access to the HOLD-button. They could have done this better imo.

Other than that I can really recommend this case too. Expensive but great quality!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back