I got RS1. What next ??
May 12, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #16 of 33

Quote:

If you do still want an amp I would recommend a Little-Dot 1+ as it's a hybrid amp (tube sound, solid state power) though it's a desktop amp. A good portable amp that mates with them well is the Little-Dot MK1+.

x2
I have both of these amps and they go really well will my RS1i's. Especially the Little Dot I+, you can pretty much fine tune it to your tastes with diffrent tubes opamps etc (see LDI+ rolling thread)

I had my RS1's for months thinking yeah they're good, but not THAT good! until I paired them with an amp that could drive them effectively.The ultimate is supposedly the Mad Ear HD+ but If you want a cool 2nd best and at a fraction of the cost go for the little dot.

Incidently, I'm from the uk too and it took less than a week for my LD to come all the way from hong kong, best £80 I've spent in a long time.   

May 12, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #17 of 33
Amps that I've owned that pairs well with Grado line in order of purchase price:
  1. Millett Starving Student Hybrid ($100-200)
  2. CK2III ($100-250)
  3. SOHA II ($200-400)
  4. RA-1 (both real and clone) ($80-300)
  5. Gilmore Lite /w PSU ($450)
  6. M3 or M^3 ($350-600)
  7. RSA XP-7 /w PSU ($550)

Regarding the Little Dot, which I've owned as well (was my first tube hybrid), unless you mod it, it leaves you kind of short of what the Grado can do.  Amps that I haven't owned but auditioned with local Seattle head-fiers, the Mapletree and Melos are on top of the amp chain. 

For portable, the only two amps that I felt really sings with my RS2 is the RSA P-51 Mustang, and TTVJ Millett Portable Hybrid. For the best bang for the portable buck, the PA2V2 is pretty darn good for $60.

May 12, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #18 of 33
Ive let them cook ppl, il post after sound starts mellowing down.

There is a weird thing that strikes me, one of the cable connectors is up, opposite the hole cable goes through. While the othe connector is down near the hole. It doesnt look like it has been re-wired either.

May 12, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #19 of 33
Just had a look at mine, and they aren't the same either (one is at the side and other at bottom) so probably normal.  Your RS1's will mellow with burn in, mine did and I now love their sound. But they won't mellow too much, I wouldn't want them to! I like the Grado sound for what it is. No holes in drivers here! 
smile.gif

May 22, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #20 of 33
Ok after a week of burning-in the headband has come off and sound has settled down. Nice mid bass and sweet mids. Big diference. Im still ot convinced though.  I will get an amp see what happens.

May 22, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #21 of 33
Listening at the moment FLAC on PC directly from onboard soundcard, ASUS P5NT-deluxe mobo. Big differece, sound is better than my Cowon S9. I always thought onboard sound was poor.

EDIT: i take it all back. just put it throught my AVC Denon amp. WOW the sound. I seriously need a dedicated headphone amp. ok ppl you were right. thankyouverymuch

May 22, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #23 of 33
I think that's a bad analogy.  =p

May 23, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #24 of 33
RS1's are the greatest cans in the world for acoustic! I would try them with a decent amp though... after all, if you going to pay that much for a pair of hp's you might aswell give them something to shine with. The problem with buying higher end phones is that they need a higher end source to get the best out of them....

But the good news is.. Grado's are an exception! Little Dot I+ with upgrade opamp2107 and stock tubes. You'll be as happy as a man with a pair of RS1's and a Little Dot amp.
tongue.gif

May 23, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #26 of 33

Quote:
Mad Ear+ HD    ftw - generally considered the best pairing possible.

If only I had one... I will one day... can I borrow yours please? I'll look after it! promise! 
wink.gif

May 23, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #27 of 33

Quote:
RS1's are the greatest cans in the world for acoustic! I would try them with a decent amp though... after all, if you going to pay that much for a pair of hp's you might aswell give them something to shine with. The problem with buying higher end phones is that they need a higher end source to get the best out of them....

But the good news is.. Grado's are an exception! Little Dot I+ with upgrade opamp2107 and stock tubes. You'll be as happy as a man with a pair of RS1's and a Little Dot amp.
tongue.gif

i would like to get both little dot I+ and mk I+. Where shall I get them from in Uk? some shop which wont involve paypal. thx

May 23, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #28 of 33

Quote:

tongue.gif

Little dot MKII+ here mellows the treble out and widens the stage.

May 24, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #29 of 33

Quote:
i would like to get both little dot I+ and mk I+. Where shall I get them from in Uk? some shop which wont involve paypal. thx

how about Graham Slee Novo then..? thats supposed to be good with Grado's.  

May 29, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #30 of 33
IMO that's a bit of overkill for Grado's. Besides the Graham amps aren't all that special IMO and aern't as good as their price commands.

I'll repeat what I said earlier about them not needing am amp but if you need one the Little-Dot 1+ is a great amp for them Another great amp, if you can find one, is the X-CANV8P. 

Quote:
how about Graham Slee Novo then..? thats supposed to be good with Grado's.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back