I got RS1. What next ??
May 11, 2011 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

MajorCockUp

New Head-Fier
I got them today, used and burned-in. A bit dissapointed. I lsiten to losless from an unamped Cowon S9.. Is it  because of that? Can you guys advice towards some amp and DAC? Is Hifiman HM-800 any good? Friday Im getting paid again :)

Bilavideo was right, modding SR80 would get them close to RS1. Not very close but still a huge bargain. I have the feeling my RS1 isnt worth the 400£ (600$) I spent.There is much more detail and much fermer bass and unlike my old modded SR80 it doesnt throw bass into everything else. But is seems a lot more fatiguing at same EQ settings. Maybe I suffer from flat-fish-ears sindrome? Or maybe I should have gone for SR325 or HF-2?

Can I please get some advice on what to pair RS1 with?  

ps: FALSE ALARM, IT ONLY HAD 20HRS OF USE

May 11, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 33
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I believe that a great headphone should not be awe inspiring at first listen. Give it a couple weeks of listening to it exclusively, and then try going back to your SR80s. I think that you'll be more impressed.

May 11, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 33
I would recommend listening to them longer as well. I know my old set did not initially impress me at all, but they grew on me over time though I ended up selling them in favor of a DT880. Also the RS1/i is extremely efficient and does not need any amping at all so it's not your Cowon as they will drive them fine.

If you do still want an amp I would recommend a Little-Dot 1+ as it's a hybrid amp (tube sound, solid state power) though it's a desktop amp. A good portable amp that mates with them well is the Little-Dot MK1+.

May 11, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 33
Did you get the RS1s with or without the button?  There is a difference...

May 11, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 33
If you find the RS1s fatiguing, avoid the 325s like the plague.

If you want something to contrast the Grado SR60, I recommend you take a look at the Sennheiser HD598. Excellent mid range balance and soundstage that is unrivaled at the price of $175.

May 11, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #6 of 33

Quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I believe that a great headphone should not be awe inspiring at first listen. Give it a couple weeks of listening to it exclusively, and then try going back to your SR80s. I think that you'll be more impressed.

Well said and 100% agree.

May 11, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 33
hmm the sr80i's gave me the mother of all headaches, the sr325is through the -RS series were like butter to my ears and I loved them. I got the RS-2 as I really didnt hear much difference between the RS-2 and RS-1

May 11, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 33
The Grado line has been reported to be a match with the Mapletree amps. I have liked them with the Millet Hybrid and the Pico. A tube or hybrid will tame some of that piercing Grado highs. I use them as a road can with the Xin portable and directly from an ipod.

May 12, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #9 of 33
Little Dot MKII+ is a darker amp, with a new OP amp*10$ for 2* its even smoother and darker sounding and a perfect match

May 12, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 33
Yes my model is buttonless. What does it mean?  I had a listening session last night. SR80 used to be fatiguing too until I vented their drivers. Ive listened to them again and you guys were right, what a difference! Even male voices have bass in them. Probably RS1 is much darker than a standard SR80 and since I dont have one to compare it with....it is still brighter than mine. I seriously doubt my taste. Bill say something here.

Little Dot amps seem to be in the affordable zone.  I dont think I will ever spend more than 500£ on amps, but again I thought I would never spend more than 200£ on hp at the time of buying DT880. Is there a good portable amp that can double as DAC? How do you guys rate the HD800? Is there a place in London where I could test equipment? The shops Ive tried never stock enything besides Sony and the occasional AKG. I cant spell Shenheisser.

I must be going mad, nothing sounds good anymore and everything has fat price tags. I mean how can they justify asking 1000£ for 2 drivers and a cable?

May 12, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #11 of 33
GOOD NEWS, IM NOT GOING MAD. THEY HAVENT BEEN BURNED-IN !!!!!!
MUHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHA.. wallet saved

disregard my last comment. i didnt delete it because it looks kewl. as a matter of fact disregard this whole thread. i seriously need to get a life and stop editing my own posts

May 12, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #12 of 33
Do not buy an OTL for Grados. The vast majority have an output impedance higher than the headphone impedance. That's just asking for messy bass.

If you're on a budget, go solid state. It has a nice, low output impedance. If you must have tubes, buy an amp with output transformers. The only commercial OTL exception is the Zana Deux. Its 6C33C tubes have a nice, low output impedance.

May 12, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #13 of 33
i strongly recommend u must get a amp for rs1, if you want to take rs1 to street , a portable amp is necessary. If u listen music at home , an good dac + ra1 amp will be fine, you will feel pure Grado sound

May 12, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #14 of 33
lol
I did find SR325is somewhat awe-inspiring upon first listen.  They have only continued to grow on me over the past couple of years.
I get tired of other headphones' sound because of it, lol.  Well, except for A2kX.
If I spend too much time with my other 'phones, I end up missing my Grados and love them a bit more when I finally return to them.

OP, if you don't like your Grados, you can always give them to me.  =p

May 12, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #15 of 33

Quote:

Can I please get some advice on what to pair RS1 with?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back