I find myself gaming now... want great music sound, but a good "headset" for speaking too. Very confused.
Jun 10, 2011 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

FliGuyRyan

Head-Fier
It's almost 2am, and I'm really tired. I'd like to write out an entire list of my dilemma, but nay, I cannot. So here is the short breakdown.

I upgraded my computer. It's amazing. And I'm now starting to get into gaming. This comes as I gave up about a year ago pursuing a really good pair of headphones (cans - over the ear and probably semi-open like the Beyer DT880. That was the goal, a year ago). Because of cost, I didn't get them. Now though, I was using a pair of Logitech's that broke and my Monster Turbine Pro Coppers cannot be used for gaming - they're just too much for long sessions. I'm now using some Altec Lansings that are raping my ears nightly because of lack of comfort though and I've now reached my limit.

So... today, I went and bought the Turtle Beach P11 gaming headset which I can and will return... see below...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879459004&Tpk=turtle%20beach%20p11

Well, I plugged them in and got them going, and it my prior pursuit all came back to me. I have $150 on a Best Buy gift card coming which I could sell for about 90-95% of the value for cash. Considering this, and the fact that I could throw down another $100 I think I'm ready to do it.

My true question is this. Will I really notice THAT much difference in sound quality going from the Turtle Beach P11, Astro A40 with Mixamp, Razer Megalodon and other "high-end" gaming headsets to the Beyer Dynamic DT770? And considering the latter, would I go with the Pro 80, 32 ohm or Pro model? Now, I already have a Zalman clip-on mic. It'll work, ah well. I'm not too thrilled about it, because one thing that the gaming headsets do well is the mic generally (even the TB P11 mic is fabulous).

Oh, and the BeyerDynamic MMX 300 is probably out of the question. But, also, should I be considering the AT A700 and AT M50? I tried the AD700 (the open back) and hated them. I've auditioned the BD 770 and AT M50 - liked them both, although the BT 770 were amazing.

So, which way should I swing? And considering amping, and all that jazz. I want to amp, but again, which amp. It would have to be portable like the Headstage Aarow 12HE or something. Is that one good, and around $150? Give me a one-stop solution. The amp can't be more than $175 either... and the amp would come later though (think around a year). Right now, I'm using my motherboard sound card, hence the low ohm 770. What are my options for getting the most out of gaming and music. I love them both, but I want true quality (musically) and not just a gimicy headset unless there was true purpose and not a lot of sacrifice. I heard the Astro A40 was the headset to get...

Any thoughts - if I missed any specifics, just go with me here...

Thanks,

-Ryan

P.S. I guess I went past my bedtime after all...   :)

Jun 10, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #2 of 5
I have owned various gaming headsets in the past, and I honestly think the Zalman clip-on is just as good as any of the microphones on those. Do not buy any headset if you want sound quality.

Jun 10, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #3 of 5
Here ya go.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone

Jun 25, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 5
the tb p11's are great for the price the mids are recessed though and the treble is muffles the bass is very good when playing video games involving war they get loud and they leak even at low volume the mic sucks with computer unless equed correctly and there comfortable for up to 2 hours the earcups are over ear removable fabric thats why they leak so bad the spl is kinda low if ur gonna play bass music id like to place them in terms of sq with the skullcandy subwoofer headphones with less bass and usb sound

Jun 25, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 5
The gaming guide that was linked to earlier is your best bet to find what you want. The Zalman mic plus a good headphone is generally better than any kitschy "gaming" headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back