I don't want a flat frequency response
Feb 1, 2011 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kamspy

New Head-Fier
Hi headfi posters.  I'm new.

I've got some experience in the mid level home theater realm, but I've never looked into quality headphones until a few weeks ago.  I've been lurking the site for a while now, but it's go time, and I need some advice.

Budget ~$100

Wants:

Large cups
A lot of bass
A nice V signature.  Good for hip hop.
Somewhat portable, while still being full sized. (ie: 30' coiled cord not ideal)
Able to be driven without an amp, and driven well with a little FiiO E5
Will be used mainly on a computer for hip hop and gaming, and on a Droid daily when walking.  Might spend time on my Marantz AVR as well, but mostly computer and Droid.

The Superlux 681s are really intriguing me, but research tells me the Sony XB500s are the way to go.  Aesthetically, the Superlux look much better to me.  I think the Sonys might be embarrassing to wear in public. I'm not crazy about the red on the on the 681s, but the rest of the design is ace in my book.

This whole mess started when I demo'd the Beats at Best Buy.  I like the way they sound but know I can do better for less money.  But that is the sound signature I'm looking for.  I like the cup size as well.  The headphones aren't for critical listening.  I want them to be fun and lively.

I'm in the Cincinnati area, and there is no store I know of where I can audition anything. 

So any recommendations? 

Feb 1, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 4
Sorry I cannot comment on either Sony or  Superlux  headphones but the Sennheiser HD212pro would be my recommendation.  They are easy to drive from an mp3 player/ipod( I use them with both my HTC HD2 and laptop) and are  $60 on amazon.  Bass is great even without EQ and there is enough detail in the mids and highs that you might notice something you havent in your music( but not much lol).  The only drawback is that they do rest ON your ears instead of around them so they may get a bit sweaty after a while.  Also if you do love your bass that much, may i also recommend that you download and try J. River media jukebox 14.  While the standard EQ is great there is also a virtual subwoofer setting that enhances the low frequencies for more "thump" on top of the EQ, though you have to be careful as some headphones cannot take the extra enhancement and will distort.( was my favoroite EQ setting way back when).

Welcome to head-fi!

Feb 1, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 4
If you were comfortable swinging your budget up to $120, the Denon AH-D1100 sound perfect for you.  They are circumaural, but still remain somewhat portable (they fold flat).  They should also be able to handle your thirst for monster bass as well.  They are fairly sensitive, so you shouldn't have any trouble running them without an amp.  You might also look into the Koss PRO DJ100, which at $80, is a bit more affordable.

Feb 1, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 4
I would recommend the Denon DN-HP700, pretty cheap, made for DJ's, they have very nice tight and deep bass, without being muddy, and nice highs too.
They have a V signature as you ask for, are made from durable materials since they are for DJ's, they work very good from and iPod, and sound amazing from any amp, only problem it may have for you is that it has got a coiled cable (which I personally think makes them more portable).
They are also very comfortable, closed but don't get too hot, have large cups, and are foldable so that would be excellent for you.
They look very nice too, with the Denon DJ logo etched on metal on the sides
They are 99.99 on most online places, so it fits your budget.
You should really give them a try, try to but them from an online store that accepts returns, so in case you don't like them you can return them in the same condition and get another ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back