I done lots of reading here and I think im set on 4 headphones.
Aug 18, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #16 of 29
I have both the D5000 and K550 among many others and I feel the K550 is overall the better headphone IF you can get a good fit. If they don't fit right they can sound really bad which is why I think you see such mixed reactions to them. I really only like the D5000 for electronic music where its extra bass is fun. It is true that it does not seal and besides leaking sound it also provides basically no isolation. A D5000 on a plane would suck, they really are not a portable headphone at all. The K550 isolates much better and is more suitable as a travel headphone although it's pretty large and the cable is too long. I use both with a Fostex Hp-p1 as DAC/amp for the times when I want to get away from my main setup. When I travel I take the Fostex and the K550.

I haven't heard the new Denon D600 but I do have a pair of the new D7100 and I feel those are very good headphones. Vastly better than the D5000 when used as part of a high-end system. The new ones are also sealed and isolate pretty well so if you're looking at a Denon alternative the D600 would probably be a better candidate than the D5000.

Aug 18, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #17 of 29
Something else I'll add on the new Denon's, at least for the 7100, I find them extremely comfortable. The D600 seem to be basically the same design so they're likely quite comfortable as well. Comfort isn't much of a problem for the K550 or D5000 either but for me the new Denon's are just plush.

Aug 18, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:
I have both the D5000 and K550 among many others and I feel the K550 is overall the better headphone IF you can get a good fit. If they don't fit right they can sound really bad which is why I think you see such mixed reactions to them. I really only like the D5000 for electronic music where its extra bass is fun. It is true that it does not seal and besides leaking sound it also provides basically no isolation. A D5000 on a plane would suck, they really are not a portable headphone at all. The K550 isolates much better and is more suitable as a travel headphone although it's pretty large and the cable is too long. I use both with a Fostex Hp-p1 as DAC/amp for the times when I want to get away from my main setup. When I travel I take the Fostex and the K550.

I haven't heard the new Denon D600 but I do have a pair of the new D7100 and I feel those are very good headphones. Vastly better than the D5000 when used as part of a high-end system. The new ones are also sealed and isolate pretty well so if you're looking at a Denon alternative the D600 would probably be a better candidate than the D5000.

thanks for the info! The long non detachable cable and some say lack of bass are the 2 thing that turns me off from the AKG's but everything else sounds great about them. They look awesome too. If I could find them for $200 like the one guy who posted on this thread then id be a no brainer for me. again thanks for the info. So far im really thinking AKG 1st, denon d600 2nd. I guess no love for the beyers

Aug 18, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #19 of 29
I have the t70 (non-p) and think it does a great job isolating, and accels at acoustic type music and classical. It is also pretty good for rock.I don't think it should be your first choice for hip hop or electronic music, which sounds like is your main genre.

Aug 28, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #20 of 29
Hate to throw a wrench into things but have you considered going for in ear monitors for portable needs? With good fitting ear tips you will get incredible isolation. If you are patient and keep up with the for sale forums and Ebay you could get a used pair of D5000's for home use and a pair of Westone 3's (have a similar sound signature) for out and about for just about right at 600.

Both headphones are known for not needing an amp to perform well and you can wait and go for an amp when the upgrade bug eventually bites.

just an idea. The D600's design seems like it would seal a lot better as people have been talking about although I have not heard them personally.

Aug 28, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #24 of 29
They were alot cheaper than I could find the d5000's for, honestly not a fan of the wood look, no detachable cables on the X000 line plus the cable is just the one lenght and I want these for a somewhat portable use, and a lot of people say the X000 line leaks out a lot of sound. I am a headphone noob but I love the way these sound!!! I just need to pick up a good inexpensive amp for now.

Aug 28, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #28 of 29
I was looking very hard at those also but since i couldnt try them before I bought I went with the D600's. Maybe ill pick a pair up when they become real cheap. I love the way they look and a lot of people love the sound.

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #29 of 29
If you're planning on using these while being mobile I would definitely not recommend the D5000's.  The cans are pretty massive, sit pretty loose on the head and the cord is something around 20 feet long and very stiff.  They aren't really designed for on the go.  I used the D2000's at work for over a year, no one ever said anything about sound leakage out, but sound certainly leaks in.  It worked well for me in an office setting since people could still get my attention easily when I was jamming, but again, really bad if you want to listen on a bus or plane.

EDIT: Ooops, I hadn't read the last 3 posts before I posted. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back