I done lots of reading here and I think im set on 4 headphones.
Aug 17, 2012 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

yellowssm

Head-Fier
I have been reading non stop for a week on these forums and I think ive narrowed it down to 4 unless you guys suggest another one that I will have to read about LOL

AKG K550
Beyer T70P
Denon D5000
Ultrasone Pro 900

Ive read they are all different sounding and they all excel at different kinds of music. Unfortunately there are no places here in las vegas to listen to these (or if there is I dont know where) I am a noob and would like to learn. The best headphones ive personally had were some Audio Technica AD700's w/ a astro mx amp that I game with other than that some in ear shures and klipsch's. Ive also tried my AD700's just listening to music and movies  and to me they sound great other than the lack of bass but I havent listened to anything else so I dont know what to compare it to or what is a truly great set of cans.

I am going to be using them mostly portably run w my new macbook pro retina or once in a while my iPhone/ipad/ipod. My budget was originally 300 ish but now im willing to spend up to $600 but that would have to include an amp/dac if they are one of those headphones that do need it. I prefer not to buy and amp/dac but I know I probably will reading these forums long enough lol. Also these will be mostly for music, and movies but mostly music. I mostly listen to hip hop, rock, and electronica but growing up as a band geek I love classical, opera, etc. So basically I listen to everything except country lol. Also they must be closed cans.

TIA 
Ray

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #3 of 29
D5000 is not going to be a good option, if you need a closed headphone,
It doesn't seal much at all, you can heard the outside sound as much as you using a open headphone.
I had a d5000 and a d7000 before

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #4 of 29
Like fury mentioned, if you absolutely need closed cans, D5000 will leak sound out, despite it supposedly being a closed pair. But I'm still going to throw my vote for them anyway. 
biggrin.gif
 They are great for gaming, bass-heavy music (like dubstep/electronica), and is pretty balanced from midrange on up. 

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #5 of 29
thats a bummer if they leak sound out. Since they do that I'll thrown them out of the running and save that option later for when I buy a true open can. what would you guys choose then of the 3 remaining? 

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 29
Go get the k550
I bought mine for 199
It is my main outdoor / office headphones.
It does seal pretty good.

On the other hand,, will you consider headphones like dt1350 or hd25-1 or the amperror?

Aug 17, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:
Go get the k550
I bought mine for 199
It is my main outdoor / office headphones.
It does seal pretty good.
On the other hand,, will you consider headphones like dt1350 or hd25-1 or the amperror?

The K550 was my first choice before I started reading more and more here. Where did you get the 550's for 200? Im in for them at that price for sure then I can get a other set of open cans lol. Also I dont want on ear headphones like the dt 1350, just feels weird to me

Aug 18, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #12 of 29
so everyone is picking the d50000's but after reading more about them and a post on this thread about them that they leak out alot of sound they might not be the best choice? how bad is the leaking? bad like they should just be a open set of cans? I know on my ad700's they way they let sound out I would not like to use them the way I wanted to. I want really closed so no one can hear what im hearing,

Aug 18, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:
so everyone is picking the d50000's but after reading more about them and a post on this thread about them that they leak out alot of sound they might not be the best choice? how bad is the leaking? bad like they should just be a open set of cans? I know on my ad700's they way they let sound out I would not like to use them the way I wanted to. I want really closed so no one can hear what im hearing,

They will some but then again when they are quite loud it's going to happen. Hopefully this isn't as important as the sound department is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back