Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 29, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #17,956 of 19,012
Unfortunately the DNA aren't readily available in Germany, do you have any other pairings you can recommend?
For tube amps, the only others I have tried with the Utopia is an Ampsamdsound, a Woo OTL, and the Feliks Envy. I own the first two and neither would be suitable as the first is noisy, and the OTL is rated for 300 ohm headphones like the Senn. I listened to the Envy at an audio show, it was quite nice combo, there was a bit of noise but you have the option of changing the gain levels to reduce.

For solid state amps which leans a bit warmer, Bryston BHA-1. It’s an oldie but goodie amp which due to its age folks seem to disregard it. I’m sorry if that is not helpful, not familiar with which amps are available in Germany.

Jul 29, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #17,957 of 19,012
For tube amps, the only others I have tried with the Utopia is an Ampsamdsound, a Woo OTL, and the Feliks Envy. I own the first two and neither would be suitable as the first is noisy, and the OTL is rated for 300 ohm headphones like the Senn. I listened to the Envy at an audio show, it was quite nice combo, there was a bit of noise but you have the option of changing the gain levels to reduce.

For solid state amps which leans a bit warmer, Bryston BHA-1. It’s an oldie but goodie amp which due to its age folks seem to disregard it. I’m sorry if that is not helpful, not familiar with which amps are available in Germany.
@kkrazik2008 and @Maxfocal let me add that Envy especially with upgraded tube is great pairing as far as tube amps are concerned. Never had any noise with Focal, AQ and HiFiMan cans. Maybe the background is not as black as in some other amps but I think this is very subjective and still depends heavily on installed tubes. It can be also used as brilliant pre BTW. As far as solid state amps are considered my so far best pairing is AuroraSound HEADA with Meze Empys.

Jul 29, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #17,958 of 19,012
Thanks for the replies.

Here is my concern with tubes: I think many people try to alter the soundsignature of their headphones with a tube amp, seeking to add warmth and richness. Instead what I am looking for is to keep the utopias neutral-to slightly bright profile and further improve upon clarity, layering and tonal depth. I want my music to sound as realistic and live-like as possible.

From what I have been able to pick up so far the woo audio lineup is probably not the best for these preferences and neither are many of the popular utopia tube pairings.

Jul 30, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #17,959 of 19,012
Has anyone here paired the TT2 with the Focal Utopia without the mscaler? I am thinking about upgrading from my Hugo 2 and was wondering wether there is enough of a sonical difference to justify the extra 3000 Euros.

Or do I need to save up and go directly for the TT2 and mscaler combo?
I think going TT2 and using it without an amp is a good upgrade by itself if portabillity is no issue.

Imo the Mscaler's benefits are really recording type dependent.
Stereo mike'd standard early redbook music with real instruments works best with it.

If you listen mainly to digital computer generated music like EDC, trance.. you probably wont hear much change with a Mscaler.

But these are my own experiences after 4 years using one.

Jul 30, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #17,960 of 19,012
Thanks for the replies.

Here is my concern with tubes: I think many people try to alter the soundsignature of their headphones with a tube amp, seeking to add warmth and richness. Instead what I am looking for is to keep the utopias neutral-to slightly bright profile and further improve upon clarity, layering and tonal depth. I want my music to sound as realistic and live-like as possible.

From what I have been able to pick up so far the woo audio lineup is probably not the best for these preferences and neither are many of the popular utopia tube pairings.
@Maxfocal you may want to try THX based amps starting from Mytek Liberty THX AAA headphone amplifier (there are some others cheaper but I have no experiences with those) assuming you could live with its limitations and drawbacks (read: too much power for some cans including IEMS despite gain settings and volume chanel imbalance; the last one is hard to accept when you are coming from TT2 brilliant volume control). Just be sure to do some listening tests before purchase as it may sound too bright or sterile.

Jul 30, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #17,961 of 19,012
Amusing to see people recommending an amplifier with less power than a TT2...

Jul 30, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #17,963 of 19,012
I think going TT2 and using it without an amp is a good upgrade by itself if portabillity is no issue.

Imo the Mscaler's benefits are really recording type dependent.
Stereo mike'd standard early redbook music with real instruments works best with it.

If you listen mainly to digital computer generated music like EDC, trance.. you probably wont hear much change with a Mscaler.

But these are my own experiences after 4 years using one.
Yes, because if you feed it poorly recorded trash albums of course it will sound worse, it will reveal the bad recording more. Can't live without the M Scaler now, when I know an album is badly recorded I know the TT-2 with M Scaler will show it. My speakers are also beryllium mid and tweeters, so I really hear what is going on.

Jul 30, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #17,964 of 19,012
Yes, because if you feed it poorly recorded trash albums of course it will sound worse, it will reveal the bad recording more. Can't live without the M Scaler now, when I know an album is badly recorded I know the TT-2 with M Scaler will show it. My speakers are also beryllium mid and tweeters, so I really hear what is going on.
Im more pointing to over digital processed recordings that just wipes the depth and 'realness' that Mscaler can extract.

Ive heard several musics that Dave alone does a better job vs with Mscaler.. imo cause of its less processing(164k taps)
That is with mostly modern Dolby noise suppressed and digital studio mixed stuff.

Dont get me wrong.. i love my Scaler and im always seeking the right recordings as its just intoxicatingly good with them

Jul 30, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #17,965 of 19,012
what is your point? more power = more quality due to headroom?
To, the point would be that if you add any amp to TT2 or any Chord DAC, you will lose transparency by adding a second amplification stage (Qutest excepted). So, if you don’t need that power, either to drive speakers or the 1-2 possible headphones that need more power than TT2 has (which is debatable), then you are just adding more distortion, coloring, etc. with no “gain” so to speak.

Jul 30, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #17,966 of 19,012
unless the external amp is better suited to the headphones in question and offsets the gain in distortion. Although this is probably more so the case for the DAVE than the TT2

Jul 30, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #17,967 of 19,012
To, the point would be that if you add any amp to TT2 or any Chord DAC, you will lose transparency by adding a second amplification stage (Qutest excepted). So, if you don’t need that power, either to drive speakers or the 1-2 possible headphones that need more power than TT2 has (which is debatable), then you are just adding more distortion, coloring, etc. with no “gain” so to speak.
You know that all DACs have an amplification stage in their output? This idea of not using a Chord DAC as a DAC with an external amplifier is ridiculous, especially if one is running a 2.1 speaker set up. Yet it comes up often, like the rest of us who use an external amp are not using the DAC properly.

Jul 30, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #17,968 of 19,012
For those interested in a little bit of a look at Chord's backstory, DMS, Andrew, Taron and I visited Chord in Maidstone shortly before heading to Munich this year and a video is up with some interviews and a bit of a look inside their factory.
Their location has easily got to be the most characterful production location I've visited. Thanks to Chord for inviting us!

It was nice to see this, but unfortunately the constant unnecessary background music made it unwatchable, which is rare for me.
Thanks for the replies.

If you want an un-colored amp, try the Audio-gd Master 9/HE9 series. However, ANY amp in the chain will result in a slightly loss of clarity in my experience. I tend to live with that compromise with the Studio Six amp, as it can readily by set up not to sound "warm and rich" by selecting tubes that aren't as such.

Jul 30, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #17,969 of 19,012
For me personally, using the TT2 front headphone output to the Abyss Diana V2 was a night and day difference compared to using amp output high gain with RCA to the Ferrum Oor/Hypsos (allegedly the most transparent output from the TT2).

I was almost about to return the TT2 before I used the headphone output, but was blown away by how good it sounded once I switched. ymmv with different amps because it could just be the Ferrum, but the Ferrum completely crushed the soundstage and imaging and turned it back into a wall of sound. also the delicate and crystal clear treble from the TT2 just turns back into harsh digital nasties when output to the ferrum.

one may want to use it for two channel (I myself am going to try it at some point), but most of the reputable reviews mention you are missing the full experience of the TT2 by not using it as an all-in-one, and they are not lying, in my opinion.

but as always, test as much gear as you can and use what you prefer. but if you have not heard the front headphone output and have good headphones, please give it a try, it is pretty unbelievable how musical it is.

Jul 30, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #17,970 of 19,012
You know that all DACs have an amplification stage in their output? This idea of not using a Chord DAC as a DAC with an external amplifier is ridiculous, especially if one is running a 2.1 speaker set up. Yet it comes up often, like the rest of us who use an external amp are not using the DAC properly.
This is simply not true, as Chord’s DAC’s do not have an amplification stage and the volume adjustment is done on the DAC directly and you are listening direct from the DAC’s output. This is Rob Watt’s custom FPGA design and they do not use any off-the-shelf chips.

For the vast majority of headphones, except maybe a handful of very hard to drive ones, the TT2’s output will give enough power to drive them to ear bleeding levels. When you add an amp to it, you are just adding colouration and distortion without much gain. Of course some people prefer a particular kind of colouration and that’s okay, but most people will find the reduced transparency not worth the money and efforts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back