Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 19, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #17,598 of 18,990
I’ve been thinking about buying a TT2 but would want to make sure I get the maximum usage out of it. My hope would be to use it as a headphone amp, a DAC for my DNA Stratus and as a DAC/Preamp for my near-field monitors.

What sort of challenges would I have in implementing a setup like this? If I have my Stratus hooked up to RCA outputs and the speakers connected to XLR, could I risk sending too much power to Stratus as I adjust volume on speakers? Or would it be OK if I have Stratus volume down or amp turned off?

Appreciate any thoughts. I’m probably overthinking this.

Alternative would be I just use as TT2 as a DAC and headphone amp, then the GS-X Mini stays in place as pre-amp for the monitors.
TT2 would work fine as the HP amp and pre for the monitors out of XLR. Hat is the amp driving? I would not think you’d want the RCAs connected to an amp when also using the XLRs to drive the monitors. So, plugging/unplugging would be involved.

Feb 19, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #17,599 of 18,990
TT2 would work fine as the HP amp and pre for the monitors out of XLR. Hat is the amp driving? I would not think you’d want the RCAs connected to an amp when also using the XLRs to drive the monitors. So, plugging/unplugging would be involved.

Preamp would be going into HEDD Type 07 monitors, powered. Maybe I can adjust volume on speakers to ensure I’d never put out more then line level power when using as a preamp. Would like to avoid having to disconnect.

Feb 20, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #17,600 of 18,990
Preamp would be going into HEDD Type 07 monitors, powered. Maybe I can adjust volume on speakers to ensure I’d never put out more then line level power when using as a preamp. Would like to avoid having to disconnect.
I see no problem if you turn of DNA Stratus then using the XLRs to drive the monitors. Probably best to ask the designer of DNA Stratus to be 100% sure.

Feb 28, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #17,602 of 18,990
I don't know the answer but that reminds me to use the ball every once in a while, I normally always just use the remote.

Feb 28, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #17,603 of 18,990
I have a crunchy volume ball. Haven't used it in quite some time (as I have it connected to an external headphone amp for volume), and I went back to use it and it's not turning smoothly. Is there anyway to clean/fix this? Rubbing alcohol?
There have been a handful of posts on the Chord threads about sticky balls, and cleaning them so a search should turn up a few recommendations.
For example:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...nics-the-official-thread.879425/post-16864057
It might be good for you to email Chord as well, and ask if they recommend any particular cleaning products.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #17,605 of 18,990
Hard to believe the Hugo TT2 (and M Scaler) is now nearly 5 years since it was released. I've been enjoying them immensely nearly daily (literally) ever since I got them shortly after they were announced. :)

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #17,606 of 18,990
Hard to believe the Hugo TT2 (and M Scaler) is now nearly 5 years since it was released. I've been enjoying them immensely nearly daily (literally) ever since I got them shortly after they were announced. :)
Time for the Hugo 3 and TT3 to be announced. Here's hoping...

Feb 28, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #17,607 of 18,990
Time for the Hugo 3 and TT3 to be announced. Here's hoping...
Latest I heard is that Rob Watts is currently working on the Choral M Scaler (Super Scaler or whatever it's called) first.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2023 at 4:34 AM Post #17,608 of 18,990
Im testing Sundara, with stock SE Susvara cable(hybrid) on the TT2.

I must say that even when Sundara has close to zero soundstage, the TT2 makes up for it with beautiful tempo/timing. Its really a engaging headphone that just pushes the sound upfront with some good texture and dynamics.

Last time I had Sundara on ZEN DAC combo, was about 2 years ago.

Mar 2, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #17,609 of 18,990
I would like to share my impression of comparing TT2 to Chord Dave. I feed both DACs with Mscaler and Chord 2go+2yu streamer. The headphone amplifiers I used for AB comparison: WA33 standard version, OG cavalli liquid gold and Headamp BHSE. Head phones I used: Abyss 1266 Phi TC, HD800s, LCD4, Verite closed, HE1000se, SR009 and SR007.

I had ABed these two DACs for about a week. They sound very similar to my ears although I can pass blind ABX test. Dave's sound stage is a little wider and its sound imaging is a little less distant comparing to that of TT2. Details and tonality are very similar between the two. To be honest, TT2's sound feels like Dave with level1 crossfeed (Dave doesn't have crossfeed in its DAC mode so can't compare directly). The layering of Dave sounds a little better defined than TT2 because of its closer sound field. Dave doesn't have the capacitor charging noise of TT2 which could be annoying when you listen nearby your DAC.

I would say TT2 is a great DAC and it is probably the sweet spot in Chord's DAC ladder for headphone users. On speaker system my impressions may change. It has a more powerful headphone amp than Dave too. I also did comparison between TT2 and Hugo2 a while ago and I could tell TT2 is noticeably better.
Have you heard anything better than the tt2/mscaler? I have this setup and am looking for the next level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back