Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 5, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #17,566 of 18,905
What? DI-20HE can't connect to spdif/nbc/acss to TT2's BNC inputs? Like, it won't read the signal at all?
I tried it once with a normal 75Ohm bnc-bnc cable and it did not work. Only works with normal spdif I guess, in this regard probably will be COAX(from DI20HE) to BNC(TT2). But I wanted SPDIF/ACSS BNC to BNC. The reason is that TT2 is transformer coupled.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #17,567 of 18,905
I tried it once with a normal 75Ohm bnc-bnc cable and it did not work. Only works with normal spdif I guess, in this regard probably will be COAX(from DI20HE) to BNC(TT2). But I wanted SPDIF/ACSS BNC to BNC. The reason is that TT2 is transformer coupled.
Thanks. I understand… so one would have to use the SPDIF to BNC Cable or an adapter to the DI20HE traditional SPDIF connector instead of the ACSS.

Feb 6, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #17,568 of 18,905
Thanks. I understand… so one would have to use the SPDIF to BNC Cable or an adapter to the DI20HE traditional SPDIF connector instead of the ACSS.
Yes it has 2 spdif outputs
1. (COAX)SPDIF
2. (BNC)SPDIF/ACSS

Only one that will work is number 1.

Feb 6, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #17,569 of 18,905
ACCS is a Audio GD proprietary signal transport based on a Current Conveyor technique.. this is electrically a different circuit design than the voltage driven Spdif method.
It will only work on a matched receiver.

You have to use the standard Spdif output for a Chord DAC on your unit with a adapter(cable)

Feb 6, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #17,570 of 18,905
ACCS is a Audio GD proprietary signal transport based on a Current Conveyor technique.. this is electrically a different circuit design than the voltage driven Spdif method.
It will only work on a matched receiver.

You have to use the standard Spdif output for a Chord DAC on your unit with a adapter(cable)
(Note that If the DAC's coaxial input has a built-in transformer, or if the input impedance is not 75 ohm, or if the input sensitivity is not 0.5VPP @ 75Ohm, the ACSS coaxial connection may not work properly ) .

It will work if you DAC is not transformer coupled :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #17,571 of 18,905
Im so sad that my DI20HE spdif/bnc/acss can´t connect to my TT2, because TT2 is transformer coupled.....Why? because I suspect my whole AGD system secrets is in the DI20HE = real music! the right amount of time and tempo - analog sweetness! = which I hoped my TT2 could benefit from:cry:
__
I tried my R8HE MK2 on its own, its clean and very like on point, but the DI20HE is a game changer!w
(it´s soo good even a Synergestic Research USB Active SE won´t better the sound, decent usb cable is much better!! because of the super isolation)
__

And I have not mentioned the master clock input yet on the DDC DAC........which leads me to believe Kingwa must be thinking of some wonders to come(Master Clock):pray:
- I do use a LHY OCK-2, but I don´t feel its a part of the AGD signature sound.
Jeez thats heavy going. Think Im on the wrong forum. Was thoroughly enjoying listening to Radiohead album Moon Shaped Pool and there earlier offering The Bends. Incredible on the TT2 through as pair of campfire audio ara iem's. Also Champion Jack Dupree album Blues From The Gutter had a blast after R/head and that album never ever fails. Cant quote what sample rates or any of that stuff. Just stick them buds in my ears and press play and enjoy the MUSIC, Simple, don't get so bogged down with numbers ya forget the music.... Like I said, think Im on the wrong forum..........

Feb 7, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #17,572 of 18,905
Jeez thats heavy going. Think Im on the wrong forum. Was thoroughly enjoying listening to Radiohead album Moon Shaped Pool and there earlier offering The Bends. Incredible on the TT2 through as pair of campfire audio ara iem's. Also Champion Jack Dupree album Blues From The Gutter had a blast after R/head and that album never ever fails. Cant quote what sample rates or any of that stuff. Just stick them buds in my ears and press play and enjoy the MUSIC, Simple, don't get so bogged down with numbers ya forget the music.... Like I said, think Im on the wrong forum..........
Starting a post with "Jeez" is a faux pas. With that attitude, I'm not sure if there is a "right" forum for you. Try ASR.

There are technical-minded people who enjoy music … and there are non-technical people who enjoy music. Just because you belong to the latter doesn't mean the former can't geek out. I assure you, we can walk and chew gum.

Feb 7, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #17,573 of 18,905
I know what you mean, but if you did not come to the conclusion that your TT2 was better than other dacs you have "had", in the technical perspective you would not have like the TT2.... as much as I am, because I actually have had dacs in the entry-level marked - to compare it with :wink:

TT2 listeners is all people who have had some experience with DACS before. I don´t see rich people that starts with an TT2....and if they do, they will be missing out on the journey of ear-training = countless hours of music findings, inspiration and enjoyment.

____

But this is the funny thing, about honeymoon of new stuff - when you surpass the entry-level talk like resolution in general, and you start to feel the diminishing returns in your pocket. That´s the small details of WOW! moments you are going to get, because you started from the bottom!

____

I am actually praising the TT2 from the previous post. I don´t know anything about how FPGA works, but Rob Watt did an outstanding job on the musicality, tempo and time on the TT2. We shouldn't compare Qutest/Hugo vs TT2 of how it sounds, but how it plays that's the different. Forget the resolution talk, think music, time and tempo, it should play effortlessly - every single layer/instrument. The TT2 does it, while staying aesthetically beautiful. It´s worth every penny, I have tasted the entry-level market.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #17,574 of 18,905
I know what you mean, but if you did not come to the conclusion that your TT2 was better than other dacs you have "had", in the technical perspective you would not have like the TT2.... as much as I am, because I actually have had dacs in the entry-level marked - to compare it with :wink:

TT2 listeners is all people who have had some experience with DACS before. I don´t see rich people that starts with an TT2....and if they do, they will be missing out on the journey of ear-training = countless hours of music findings, inspiration and enjoyment.

____

But this is the funny thing, about honeymoon of new stuff - when you surpass the entry-level talk like resolution in general, and you start to feel the diminishing returns in your pocket. That´s the small details of WOW! moments you are going to get, because you started from the bottom!

____

I am actually praising the TT2 from the previous post. I don´t know anything about how FPGA works, but Rob Watt did an outstanding job on the musicality, tempo and time on the TT2. We shouldn't compare Qutest/Hugo vs TT2 of how it sounds, but how it plays that's the different. Forget the resolution talk, think music, time and tempo, it should play effortlessly - every single layer/instrument. The TT2 does it, while staying aesthetically beautiful. It´s worth every penny, I have tasted the entry-level market.
Well said.

Feb 7, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #17,575 of 18,905
Have people here heard any improvements when using a usb optimizing device like ISO Rengen or iFi iGalvanic with the TT2? I understand TT2's usb is already galvanically optimized/isolated so I'm just wondering if these type of devices would make any improvement.

Feb 7, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #17,576 of 18,905
Starting a post with "Jeez" is a faux pas. With that attitude, I'm not sure if there is a "right" forum for you. Try ASR.

There are technical-minded people who enjoy music … and there are non-technical people who enjoy music. Just because you belong to the latter doesn't mean the former can't geek out. I assure you, we can walk and chew gum.
No offence intended.

Feb 7, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #17,577 of 18,905

____

____

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I actually started with one of Mr Watts very early DACs The Deltec Little Bit from the early 90's. From a Cambridge Audio CD2 as a transport it sounded great. Then Robs dedicated CD transport, (Deltec is DPA by now ) which ,got to say was very badly built and I never was very happy with it. However the DPA Enlightment DAC really got my attention for a good few years. That was truly special for me and is why I got into Chord DACS. So yeah can fully relate to the journey of ear training and a fulfilling journey it is while discovering new music every step of the way.......

Feb 8, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #17,578 of 18,905
I was using the beyerdynamic dt880 600 ohm headphone with the mojo and hugo2 some time back. I recently saw a stellar review on you tube where people where powering it with 50 watt speaker amps with great results. To the extent it was preferred over the lcd4. For a 150 pound headphone its incredible. The tt2 puts around 620mW into a 600 ohm load. It also needs alot of voltage due to the very high impedance. Only very few headphones measure at 600 ohms. I went ahead as an experiment with my mtt2 and the results are astounding especially with jazz and acoustic on this semi open headphone. I urge everyone to give it a go. Its the "edition dt880 600 ohm" version as there are also lower impedance dt880 headphones available which don't give as good results.

tps_1281_326173_05942-326173-1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #17,579 of 18,905
I was using the beyerdynamic dt880 600 ohm headphone with the mojo and hugo2 some time back. I recently saw a stellar review on you tube where people where powering it with 50 watt speaker amps with great results. To the extent it was preferred over the lcd4. For a 150 pound headphone its incredible. The tt2 puts around 620mW into a 600 ohm load. It also needs alot of voltage due to the very high impedance. Only very few headphones measure at 600 ohms. I went ahead as an experiment with my mtt2 and the results are astounding especially with jazz and acoustic on this semi open headphone. I urge everyone to give it a go. Its the "edition dt880 600 ohm" version as there are also lower impedance dt880 headphones available which don't give as good results.

tps_1281_326173_05942-326173-1920x1080.jpg

Definitely excellent headphone, I still remember back in the day, The Trilogy of Headphone were Beyer DT880/600, Senn HD650 and AKG K701 (Imagine Hifiman Susvara, Abyss 1266 TC and RAAL SR-1A in today's market). At that time I went to AKG route.

I had Beyer too for several times, my favourite were Beyer DT250 with 250 ohm, DT48e, and DT770 - 80 Ohm.

Feb 8, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #17,580 of 18,905
I‘ve got my tt2 now for 3 weeks, keeping it after comparing to RME ADI2 Dac as cheep solution and T+A Dac 200 as comparably priced. I give high five to myself for my decision, because i enjoy listening more than ever. The decision based on listening, and partly on selfquestioning: why don‘t i enjoy listening to Music which i loved even with my old SPL Director mkii, which i sold due to sounding to soft and unprecise. No fun in listening has been my experience with every Dac i heard, which was done by technicians for technichians and hyped on ASR - in this case the RME. Nothing bad to be said about it, but nothing good either. Somehow unlively. The thought, having to spend the future with it, making me sad. Back to sender.
Hugo and T+A arrived same time, so i switched back and forth. I admit, i would have preferred the T+A due to rugged build and look and Input-Options. Only, Hugo was better. Especially in non perfect recordings the T+A tended to get harsh, where tt2 still was able to deliver airiness and smootheness.
There i am, a happy fellow mostly listening to classical stuff delivered by Innuos Zenith SE into Hugo which is delivering to SPL Performer S1200 and Audio Physic Codex and AKG K812. Cheers! :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back