Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 3, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #17,611 of 18,905
Mar 3, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #17,612 of 18,905
Time for the Hugo 3 and TT3 to be announced. Here's hoping...
I have been going to hifi shows and canjams taking my Hugo2 with me.
So far, I haven't heard anything beating it.
Even the large desktop ones. I also have a Topping DX7 pro.
It would be a neat trick to better it. Perhaps add facilities , like equaliser or gain settings.
Perhaps an LDAC . But on sound quality alone? To do a major improvement, would be a nice trick!

Mar 8, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #17,613 of 18,905
Hello colleagues, I am new to this thread. I am thinking about getting TT2 soon to pair with Susvara. I will probably add TToby or similar later, but for now have a Burson Soloist 3XP and am wondering how TT2 in pre-amp mode into 3XP in power mode (bypasses volume control in 3XP) might perform in terms of retaining TT2 technical performance. 3XP has extra bass impact cp to eg Burson 3X GT. Has anyone ever tried this pairing?

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #17,615 of 18,905
Hello colleagues, I am new to this thread. I am thinking about getting TT2 soon to pair with Susvara. I will probably add TToby or similar later, but for now have a Burson Soloist 3XP and am wondering how TT2 in pre-amp mode into 3XP in power mode (bypasses volume control in 3XP) might perform in terms of retaining TT2 technical performance. 3XP has extra bass impact cp to eg Burson 3X GT. Has anyone ever tried this pairing?
TT2 with the balanced out (rear XLRs) to the Susvara works really well in my experience. You should give that a try as well.

Mar 8, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #17,616 of 18,905
I will recommend you make a couple of coffees and start here: like from the start and going through it.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-susvara.853031/

The more DACs you buy and like, the more music you will enjoy. I like switching between my three setups Sundara/TT2(Vocals,mids,gaming) Arya/RME(DAW, balanced, spacious) Susvara/AGD(when I want to shift into another dimension)

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #17,617 of 18,905
TT2 with the balanced out (rear XLRs) to the Susvara works really well in my experience. You should give that a try as well.
This. I doubt you would need any more power as that's something like 18w max. already.

Mar 8, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #17,618 of 18,905
Has anyone compared TT2 to DAVE using Dual BNC inputs?

It is my understanding that when fed 705/768KHz using DBNC, Chord DACs bypass their own upsampler, negating one of the major differences between the two DACs.
I came to this comparison after finding out that upsampling in HQPlayer blows native DAVE DSP out of the water.
It manifests itself in a wider soundstage and a 3D-like imaging (DAVE on its own is a bit flat).
In what DAVE excels is in reproducing transients, which makes it sound a bit harsher, but more lifelike.

Anyhow, after realizing that I unquestionably prefer the overall SQ of the HQPlayer, I started to wonder about the value of DAVE in my setup.

Long story short, I am now comparing TT2 vs DAVE with HQPlayer upsampling to the max freq and finding TT2 is better to my ears.
Imaging-wise, both sound similar, but TT2 sound is lusher, more musical, more analog-like.
The base is also fuller and more pleasant.

Could it be that the analog section of TT2 is superior to the one in DAVE?
I am seriously considering "downgrading" DAVE to improve my SQ :wink:

I forgot to mention that my setup is a full stereo, with DAVE connected to the Luxman integrated driving Sonus Faber Olympica Novas.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #17,619 of 18,905
Could it be that the analog section of TT2 is superior to the one in DAVE?

The analog section of the TT2 is superior to DAVE with respect to power output both out of the single-ended headphone jack and the balanced outs but the DAVE in source is still a better DAC.

I have not made the comparison of TT2 to DAVE but can say that I have compared the M Scaler to HQPlayer and the M Scaler blows HQPlayer out of the water. Not exactly what you asked, but just thought I'd add that :)

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #17,620 of 18,905
@jlemaster1957 I've tried such pairing some time ago so I'm writing from memory, however I have not been impressed. IMHO Burson has broken volume control while using pot, therefore power mode is the only really usable mode. The one thing that Burson excels is speed, otherwise I think it is far from TT2 clarity, detail and transparency. Can't tell you much about soundstage size, maybe that 3XP added a bit of air, but I'm not sure. Overall I liked 3XP a lot better with some R2R dacs like Rockna WaveLight especially when not in NOS mode.

As for TToby I have been considering it until I found out it has internal fan (similar to some Burson Audio products BTW) and for me this breaks completely idea of an audiophile product. In fact even test amp for WhatHiFi had noisy fan: https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/chord-ttoby

If you want to get most out of TT2 and Susvara one way to go is Feliks Audio Envy assuming you like tube amp. As for SS amps AuroraSound HEADA pairs very well but I think it gets a lot better synergy with Meze Elites and Empyreans than Susvara.

Mar 8, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #17,621 of 18,905
I will recommend you make a couple of coffees and start here: like from the start and going through it.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-susvara.853031/

The more DACs you buy and like, the more music you will enjoy. I like switching between my three setups Sundara/TT2(Vocals,mids,gaming) Arya/RME(DAW, balanced, spacious) Susvara/AGD(when I want to shift to another dimension)

Thanks
I follow the Sus thread as a Sus user and had searched that thread and the 3XP one prior to asking here. @alekc’s and your response actually helps me well enough for now- I probably should try TT2 + Sus via XLRs out the back before adding anything to the ‘stable’ ie power/speaker amps. Since I have 3XP anyway I may as well play with the combo to see if it is at least tolerable until I find a suitable pairing and I sell it down the road, why not. Anyway I need to save some cash still even to get TT2 (my wife has just come to terms with my audiophile-hood but I still need to go slow).

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #17,622 of 18,905
Thanks
I follow the Sus thread as a Sus user and had searched that thread and the 3XP one prior to asking here. @alekc’s and your response actually helps me well enough for now- I probably should try TT2 + Sus via XLRs out the back before adding anything to the ‘stable’ ie power/speaker amps. Since I have 3XP anyway I may as well play with the combo to see if it is at least tolerable until I find a suitable pairing and I sell it down the road, why not. Anyway I need to save some cash still even to get TT2 (my wife has just come to terms with my audiophile-hood but I still need to go slow).
Use a power amp with the TT2 & Susvara and you will be happy.

Mar 8, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #17,623 of 18,905
The analog section of the TT2 is superior to DAVE with respect to power output both out of the single-ended headphone jack and the balanced outs but the DAVE in source is still a better DAC.

I have not made the comparison of TT2 to DAVE but can say that I have compared the M Scaler to HQPlayer and the M Scaler blows HQPlayer out of the water. Not exactly what you asked, but just thought I'd add that :)
I agree that the DAVE is a better DAC, but do not I give up most of its benefits by bypassing its upsampler?
If my impressions have some basis in reality, then M Scaler + TT2 combo should also sound better than M Scaler + DAVE.
Is that true though?

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #17,624 of 18,905
Thanks
Buy a overkill headamp instead of a speakeramp imo.---

Not trying to convince you on anything, but It is hard not to compliment my setup, to myself, yeah, I am so impressed with my setup - that I only dedicate myself, to reserve time, when I really want to listen to music, and thats on my AGD setup, because it is so lively.

You seem like an experienced user from your signature. You may have, some other experience than me.....
___
I can not recommend you to buy what I like, because only your journey will lead you somewhere. Experience what you do. But something you should keep as a priority, is power as you know, and no matter what headphone you use, Sundara is even hungry. That just does not mean you should be lead by people, who emphasize on hardware that is meant for speakers, even if HifiMan recommends there own EF1000 20W/35ohm

My Susvara is alive (close to my tolerance/limit/volume) on my HE-9 LE(15W/25ohm) - and I dont even use 50% of the volume = output power.
-please no synergy-talk, I have had enough of it:sweat_smile: - when I feel my setup feels like surround sound 3D, and I am in the center/presents of the music.

___

Best recommendation from my experiene, and this also comes to powering speakers. When music gets wider as you turn up the volume you have the right amp. If it gets loud/centered, it cries for help.....

____

Dont get dissapointed, try before you buy

Mar 8, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #17,625 of 18,905
I agree that the DAVE is a better DAC, but do not I give up most of its benefits by bypassing its upsampler?
If my impressions have some basis in reality, then M Scaler + TT2 combo should also sound better than M Scaler + DAVE.
Is that true though?

I've read people's accounts on here that both DAVE+ M Scaler sounds better than TT2 + M Scaler and also that to some DAVE alone sounds better than TT2 with M Scaler. So I think it may be close.

I personally like the TT2 mainly because of it's built in ability to drive headphones better, and the form-factor and lower than DAVE price.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back